Afghanistan Crisis

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I guess that is aimed at me, I'm not uninterested. My point was simply that it's not a new thing, which I am sure we both agree on. I wasn't chastising you for such an opinion, if anything I was agreeing with you.

Oh, the second bit absolutely was. I can't help feeling you're arguing with someone who knows a bit more than you here - it's really not a good look. Have a greenie for persistence, but maybe accept you've learned a wee bit, rather than continue. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, the second bit absolutely was. I can't help feeling you're arguing with someone who knows a bit more than you here - it's really not a good look. Have a greenie for persistence, but maybe accept you've learned a wee bit, rather than continue. 

I'd say my comments remain valid. You'd expect me to, of course! :D

I've got no issue with JTS96 having a competing opinion, I'm just not going to entertain them with it.

Edit: Anyway, this is getting us further away from the topic, which I suppose is partly my fault.

Edited by Ric

I was thinking about the abandoned equipment thing.

When the US/UK leave jeeps, tanks, etc, do they leave the keys or whatever device you use to start them as well?

I understand it's not viable to remove them, but couldn't they sabotage them? Maybe a potato in the exhaust to give The Taliban a fright.

Eta, do they leave guns and hand grenades etc behind?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was thinking about the abandoned equipment thing.

When the US/UK leave jeeps, tanks, etc, do they leave the keys or whatever device you use to start them as well?

I understand it's not viable to remove them, but couldn't they sabotage them? Maybe a potato in the exhaust to give The Taliban a fright.

In theory, there will be have a transference of military hardware from the US over to the Afghan army (such as it is) over the last few years.  What this means in reality is that the Afghan military is given money taken away from educational programmes and soft projects, and told to use it to line the pockets of Trump’s pals.   Again, in theory, there should be no abandoned equipment.   What happens to that equipment is option to question, however.   It’s the sort of thing that leads to the tinfoil accusations that “But but but but the West funds IS”.   

The reality is that Afghan soldiers will most probably flog their tanks to the highest bidder who will keep their family in the black for the rest of their lives.  It’s one of the legacies of every single “occupational” tour.  If you ever look at Iraqi or Afghan police cars, they look strikingly similar to Texan police cars.  This isn’t just due to the weather.  And then you get the sons of politicians speed driving around in cars that look remarkably similar to spray painted Texan police cars.

Edited by Savage Henry

Has the US ever appeared weaker on the global stage than it does right now? The Afghan campaign has always been a disaster but the way it ended/is ending is for them is humiliating. 

Biden's appearance and press conference after the bomb attack was utterly pathetic, and bordering on elder abuse to have him continue to play this role. They surely have to use this situation to find a way to make him step aside and I'd be shocked if there aren't plans for a transition in the background.

And to the surprise of nobody, a new ISIS has popped up just when it appeared the US were attempting to wash their hands of that place. But let's continue to spend* billions bombing Toyota Hiluxes in the desert and ignore the states and entities that equip and shelter them.

*Move from the public treasury to corporate bank accounts.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The ammunition was blown up at the airport by the Americans about 2 hours after the suicide bombing, it seemed a little insensitive.

Also I see it's now be confirmed that Pen Farthing has managed to leave with his animals but not his staff, what kind of person would do that? Maybe when he goes back they could present him with a taxidermy version of his vet. How he's managed to get the public outcry I have no idea.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

The ammunition was blown up at the airport by the Americans about 2 hours after the suicide bombing, it seemed a little insensitive.

Also I see it's now be confirmed that Pen Farthing has managed to leave with his animals but not his staff, what kind of person would do that? Maybe when he goes back they could present him with a taxidermy version of his vet. How he's managed to get the public outcry I have no idea.

happy-happy-dog.gif

Last British flight gone, leaving 150 Brit's behind. f**k that.
The problem with leaving foreign nationals and Afghan collaborators behind, is not the potential of retribution from the Taliban, but more from ordinary Afghans who may have had family members killed or maimed by the NATO forces. 
Yes, ordinary citizens are definitely more likely to start murdering people than the hardened militia....

Any c**t fucked with my family, far less butchered one, local or foreign, they ARE dead men. A fucking foreign invasion force indiscriminately butchering your own and you wouldn't seek retribution? All humans are capable of killing when that tipping point is reached, or maybe you're just unique!
[emoji1787]

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Has the US ever appeared weaker on the global stage than it does right now? The Afghan campaign has always been a disaster but the way it ended/is ending is for them is humiliating. 

Biden's appearance and press conference after the bomb attack was utterly pathetic, and bordering on elder abuse to have him continue to play this role. They surely have to use this situation to find a way to make him step aside and I'd be shocked if there aren't plans for a transition in the background.

And to the surprise of nobody, a new ISIS has popped up just when it appeared the US were attempting to wash their hands of that place. But let's continue to spend* billions bombing Toyota Hiluxes in the desert and ignore the states and entities that equip and shelter them.

*Move from the public treasury to corporate bank accounts.

He may be the President but Biden will not have taken this decision on his own; but it would be interesting to know how much was down to his personal determination and how much was a collective f**k up.  I get the impression that he has great faith in his own ‘experience’ which is a worry and possibly a tragedy.

I can envisage Biden sitting in a room of military analysts telling them that he knows better because he’s seen it all during his time as a senator and VP.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

He may be the President but Biden will not have taken this decision on his own; but it would be interesting to know how much was down to his personal determination and how much was a collective f**k up.  I get the impression that he has great faith in his own ‘experience’ which is a worry and possibly a tragedy.

I can envisage Biden sitting in a room of military analysts telling them that he knows better because he’s seen it all during his time as a senator and VP.

They say he was furious that Obama wouldn't pull out when he was VP. No euph.

1 hour ago, TheBruce said:

Any c**t fucked with my family, far less butchered one, local or foreign, they ARE dead men. A fucking foreign invasion force indiscriminately butchering your own and you wouldn't seek retribution? All humans are capable of killing when that tipping point is reached, or maybe you're just unique!

What the f**k did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f**k out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

23 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What the f**k did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f**k out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

You can't talk to him like that, he caddied for Condoleezza Rice!