Hello from the USA

C. MacLeod

18 hours ago, C. MacLeod said:

, it will be one that doesn't carry that sort of baggage, is somewhat pleasing to watch and isn't likely to go down. I'm sure there are a few that fit those qualifications. 

That reminds me, there’s a thread where you can discuss the infuriating things your partner does/does not do. 

Quite honestly, expand your horizons. While the Premiership is easier to watch, sometimes the lower level clubs can be a more interesting, satisfying and frustrating watch. The good news is that regardless of whom you might deem worthy of watching, the PPV options have dramatically increased in both volume and quality.

Since nearly every club now offers highlights (and an archive of them in most cases), wandering around all of their sites and watching a wee bit is an interesting way to see who might be worth looking at further. For instance, you mention Aberdeen…which leads to the recent match with Raith Rovers…so that makes you look at their highlights a bit and you see that Alloa held them recently, let’s go look at them…then you see Alloa’s recent “highlights” and decide maybe Falkirk might be interesting to look at (but maybe skip the drama of the Falkirk thread)…etc, etc.

While there are ways to watch nearly every televised match for free, you should certainly update your antivirus, never sign up for anything offered there, and wrap your modem in plastic before using most of them. A VPN that offers the option of a UK IP address can be useful for watching many matches and getting highlights and such more easily.

I suggest taking your time before “committing” to a club, the enjoyment of random discoveries can be quite fulfilling on its own, and as a certain house burglar said, “this one is just right”.

Welcome aboard, did you notice the door behind you disappeared?

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Quite honestly, expand your horizons. While the Premiership is easier to watch, sometimes the lower level clubs can be a more interesting, satisfying and frustrating watch. The good news is that regardless of whom you might deem worthy of watching, the PPV options have dramatically increased in both volume and quality.

Since nearly every club now offers highlights (and an archive of them in most cases), wandering around all of their sites and watching a wee bit is an interesting way to see who might be worth looking at further. For instance, you mention Aberdeen…which leads to the recent match with Raith Rovers…so that makes you look at their highlights a bit and you see that Alloa held them recently, let’s go look at them…then you see Alloa’s recent “highlights” and decide maybe Falkirk might be interesting to look at (but maybe skip the drama of the Falkirk thread)…etc, etc.

While there are ways to watch nearly every televised match for free, you should certainly update your antivirus, never sign up for anything offered there, and wrap your modem in plastic before using most of them. A VPN that offers the option of a UK IP address can be useful for watching many matches and getting highlights and such more easily.

I suggest taking your time before “committing” to a club, the enjoyment of random discoveries can be quite fulfilling on its own, and as a certain house burglar said, “this one is just right”.

Welcome aboard, did you notice the door behind you disappeared?

Thanks for the welcome! The door disappeared? *Looks around* Is this the Hotel California?

I plan to let a club come to me. There are a few I have my eye on that would seem to fit the criteria I'm thinking about, but I'll just watch the games as they come and see which club grabs me.

Being old, I don't want to go to too much trouble. i like just watching a game on the big screen TV. I don't care for watching on the computer and not really a highlight guy either (although I don't mind learning more about the lower leagues). I watch the Premier League on NBC and Peacock and for years I've watched a lot of La Liga, but ESPN bought out the rights to the Spanish League from beIN and will have nearly all the games (save maybe El Classico) streaming on ESPN+, which isn't available through my cable system. But CBS now has the rights to the Scottish Premiership and Serie A, so I'll get some games from both of these leagues (although most will be on Paramount+). So those leagues will help fill the void left by losing La Liga. I've had a favorite Serie A club (AC Milan) since the 80s, but haven't previously had a chance to see the Scottish league games. So I'm looking forward to it and hopefully one of the teams will grab me as we go along.

Question for anyone pertaining to the lower leagues, what would be the closest clubs to Dunoon or the Argyll and Bute area? I know Greenock Morton is across the Firth of Clyde, but are there others relatively nearby?

On 23/08/2021 at 15:50, C. MacLeod said:

Tell me about Aberdeen FC. I was checking out the Scottish teams' characteristics of play on WhoScored and they are one of the teams I think I want to keep an eye on (Hibernian, who I enjoyed watching play yesterday, and St. Johnstone were the others that seemed to have a style I'd enjoy). Of course style can vary greatly from manager to manager. Does Aberdeen generally play attractive football? Is there great atmosphere at the stadium?

St Johnstone are the club for the modern era. There is a lot of bitterness from fans of other clubs due to our success, but it comes with the territory. 

We are a country brought up on losing and to loath anyone successful.

Thats why folk are recommending Hibs. Nobody epitomises losing quite like Hibs do.

Spoiler

Apart from Dundee.

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

St Johnstone are the club for the modern era. There is a lot of bitterness from fans of other clubs due to our success, but it comes with the territory. 

We are a country brought up on losing and to loath anyone successful.

Thats why folk are recommending Hibs. Nobody epitomises losing quite like Hibs do.

Hide contents

Apart from Dundee.

😂 Thanks!

St. Johnstone is definitely one of the current "contenders" I will have my eye on. Looking forward to watching them play, especially if they give us a home game so I can see the atmosphere and get a feel for the club. 

10 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

😂

St. Johnstone is definitely one of the current "contenders" I will have my eye on. Looking forward to watching them play, especially if they give us a home game so I can see the atmosphere 

Oh crikey, you're in for a treat! 

17 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

😂 Thanks!

St. Johnstone is definitely one of the current "contenders" I will have my eye on. Looking forward to watching them play, especially if they give us a home game so I can see the atmosphere and get a feel for the club. 

This Thursday night, 7pm kick off against LASK should give you an idea of what a typical St Johnstone atmosphere is like.  

You can subscribe on saintstv or probably pick up a stream.

44 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Does America have a big issue with heroin or is it just crack and Crystal meth that is the main problem over there?

Just trying to work out why you were drawn to Hibs vs Dundee.

😂

I was drawn to Dundee vs. Hibs because that's the game CBS Sports Network decided to show me. Only choice I had since I don't have Paramount+. No drugs, unless I was having an acid flashback from the 60s. But it was a fairly entertaining game. Maybe not Boca vs. River, mind you, but I enjoyed it.

42 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

😂

I was drawn to Dundee vs. Hibs because that's the game CBS Sports Network decided to show me. Only choice I had since I don't have Paramount+. No drugs, unless I was having an acid flashback from the 60s. But it was a fairly entertaining game. Maybe not Boca vs. River, mind you, but I enjoyed it.

You missed a cracker of a Fife Derby last week on BBC Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

You missed a cracker of a Fife Derby last week on BBC Scotland. 

Wish I could get the BBC here. Well, we have BBC America, but there's very little British about it anymore as they mostly show Star Trek: The Next Generation and American movies. But they do give me same day Doctor Who and they have a lot of the nature programs.

But I'm always up for a Fife Derby!

0.jpg

1 hour ago, C. MacLeod said:

😂

Dundee and Hibs fans are well known for being the biggest junkies in Scottish football, I wasn’t inferring it was you who was taking the drugs.

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Dundee and Hibs fans are well known for being the biggest junkies in Scottish football, I wasn’t inferring it was you who was taking the drugs.

😂

Oh, I know. But I was just thinking, didn't the guys in Trainspotting support Hibs?

3 hours ago, C. MacLeod said:

Wish I could get the BBC here. Well, we have BBC America, but there's very little British about it anymore as they mostly show Star Trek: The Next Generation and American movies. But they do give me same day Doctor Who and they have a lot of the nature programs.

But I'm always up for a Fife Derby!

0.jpg

I was being flippant. There were all sorts of drama in the game. Delayed firstly due to floodlight failure, fans locked outside. Game started, roughly 15 mins in power failed, no joy with it, game abandoned, fans pour out 9f ground into fans locked out. Trouble on the streets of Kirkcaldy, police clueless. Have a read at the Raith Rovers/ Dunfermline thread on here to get the full flavour of it. 

Ditto what everyone else said.

If you get a VPN (I would suggest Surfshark) then all the Premiership highlights are available to watch on the BBC iPlayer via their Sportscene program - its far better than the Paramount+ highlights show. All the Premiership and Championship and League Cup games that are shown live on BBC, Premier Sports and Sky over here will be broadcast on CBS or Paramount+ stateside.

Would also say the SPFL's YouTube channel is pretty good (one of the few things they do well) at keeping track of highlights and such.

As for clubs to follow well I would naturally suggest United due to our American owners and reputation for producing/developing fantastic young talent as well as our historic success. But really just avoid the big two from Glasgow and you'll be fine - no one likes Partick Thistle and Queens Park.

15 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

I was being flippant. There were all sorts of drama in the game. Delayed firstly due to floodlight failure, fans locked outside. Game started, roughly 15 mins in power failed, no joy with it, game abandoned, fans pour out 9f ground into fans locked out. Trouble on the streets of Kirkcaldy, police clueless. Have a read at the Raith Rovers/ Dunfermline thread on here to get the full flavour of it. 

Sounds like fun. I was watching Nice-Marseille the other day when the Nice ultras stormed the field and started brawling. I'll check out that thread.

3 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Ditto what everyone else said.

If you get a VPN (I would suggest Surfshark) then all the Premiership highlights are available to watch on the BBC iPlayer via their Sportscene program - its far better than the Paramount+ highlights show. All the Premiership and Championship and League Cup games that are shown live on BBC, Premier Sports and Sky over here will be broadcast on CBS or Paramount+ stateside.

Would also say the SPFL's YouTube channel is pretty good (one of the few things they do well) at keeping track of highlights and such.

As for clubs to follow well I would naturally suggest United due to our American owners and reputation for producing/developing fantastic young talent as well as our historic success. But really just avoid the big two from Glasgow and you'll be fine - no one likes Partick Thistle and Queens Park.

I'll definitely be checking out Dundee United as well. Young talent can be a lot of fun to watch. So are Partick Thistle and Queens Park sort of like the Millwalls of Scottish football? 😇

1 minute ago, C. MacLeod said:

I'll definitely be checking out Dundee United as well. Young talent can be a lot of fun to watch. So are Partick Thistle and Queens Park sort of like the Millwalls of Scottish football? 😇

No I was joking that they were the big two in Glasgow - when they are in fact the third and fourth teams in the city by a massive distance. Partick Thistle fans are known for being a bit weird (evidencebut both sets of supporters are generally good guys compared to Rangers and Celtic fans.