Promising "Young" Talent

While on one of those trawls through Wikipedia the other day I came across Lewis Baker of Chelsea - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Baker_(footballer)

Despite being with the club since 2005 as a youth player and 2014 as a senior player he has made a grand total of one substitute appearance. That was as an 87th minute sub in the FA Cup in 2014.

It seems remarkable to reach the age of 26 and remain at a club for so long and make absolutely zero impact. Obviously he has had the usual loan spells you come to expect at a club like Chelsea.

There was also Lucas Piazon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Piazon

Having made his Chelsea debut in September 2012 in the League Cup he would go on to make another League Cup appearance and a substitute appearance in the league before the end of the year. That was the end of his Chelsea career more or less until he was sold in January this year to Braga, just a few days shy of his 27th birthday.

Both these players are/were just a season or two short of a testimonial!

Are there any other examples of players being on the books for season after season at a club and making minimal impact?

12 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

While on one of those trawls through Wikipedia the other day I came across Lewis Baker of Chelsea - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Baker_(footballer)

Despite being with the club since 2005 as a youth player and 2014 as a senior player he has made a grand total of one substitute appearance. That was as an 87th minute sub in the FA Cup in 2014.

It seems remarkable to reach the age of 26 and remain at a club for so long and make absolutely zero impact. Obviously he has had the usual loan spells you come to expect at a club like Chelsea.

Having made his Chelsea debut in September 2012 in the League Cup he would go on to make another League Cup appearance and a substitute appearance in the league before the end of the year. That was the end of his Chelsea career more or less until he was sold in January this year to Braga, just a few days shy of his 27th birthday.

Are there any other examples of players being on the books for season after season at a club and making minimal impact?

Piazon was a FM legend!

They’ll both f**k off to Germany, make a big name for themselves and then Chelsea will spend a total of around £200m buying them both back. 

Do Chelsea not do this sort of thing loads? I’m sure there was stuff about them having basically an entire squads worth of players out on loan at any one time, and very few of them ever making an impact at Chelsea.

Tomas Kalas was another of theres - on the books at Chelsea between the ages of 17 and 26 - made 4 Chelsea appearances, and had 8 separate loan spells at other clubs. Now plays for Bristol City. Across the City, Arsenal have goalkeeper Dejan Iliev, who is 26, been there for 9 years and has never managed to make an appearance. He’s only made the bench 3 times. There’s probably going to be a goalkeeper somewhere who’s came through the youth teams somewhere and just hung around that club most of their career being second/third choice.

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Do Chelsea not do this sort of thing loads? I’m sure there was stuff about them having basically an entire squads worth of players out on loan at any one time, and very few of them ever making an impact at Chelsea.

Tomas Kalas was another of theres - on the books at Chelsea between the ages of 17 and 26 - made 4 Chelsea appearances, and had 8 separate loan spells at other clubs. Now plays for Bristol City. Across the City, Arsenal have goalkeeper Dejan Iliev, who is 26, been there for 9 years and has never managed to make an appearance. He’s only made the bench 3 times. There’s probably going to be a goalkeeper somewhere who’s came through the youth teams somewhere and just hung around that club most of their career being second/third choice.

Chelsea has 43 players out on loan in 2018 or 19 

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Decent business in bringing in the loan fees. Some of these loans to clubs in decent leagues carry a good annual fee. So, Chelsea see it as a decent idea to keep them on the books long-term and keep these fees coming in, then every now and then you sell one of these guys on to a mid-ranking club with a bit of cash and you've done quite nicely out of that player overall.

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

Decent business in bringing in the loan fees. Some of these loans to clubs in decent leagues carry a good annual fee. So, Chelsea see it as a decent idea to keep them on the books long-term and keep these fees coming in, then every now and then you sell one of these guys on to a mid-ranking club with a bit of cash and you've done quite nicely out of that player overall.

I do this all the time on FM. But in real life it's a bit shite.

7 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Matt Miazga (26) and Baba Rahman (27) are still at Chelsea. Neither has made an impact. Other perpetual Chelsea loanees have included Blackman, Nathan, Pantic and Pasalic.

Bakayoko, who cost £36 million from Monaco, has just been sent out on loan again. Batshuayi  cost £35 million from Marseille and will probably go out on loan again.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

14 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

There’s probably going to be a goalkeeper somewhere who’s came through the youth teams somewhere and just hung around that club most of their career being second/third choice.

Jamal Blackman left Chelsea this Summer aged 27.

Joined them at U13 level, never played a single game in that 14+ years, but has Champions League and Europa League winner medals as he was registered in their squad to help the home grown quota.

Some career.

Jamal Blackman left Chelsea this Summer aged 27.
Joined them at U13 level, never played a single game in that 14+ years, but has Champions League and Europa League winner medals as he was registered in their squad to help the home grown quota.
Some career.
Worth remembering if it's ever asked on Pointless

I don’t think Blackman is classed as a champions league winner. Chelsea will have chucked him a medal cause he was in the travelling squad but don’t you need to make an appearance at some point in the tournament or be in the match day squad for the final for it to be “official”? E.g. Ross Turnbull is a champions league winner but someone like Blackman isn’t.

In an attempt to not derail the thread any further than I already have I’ll nominate another Chelsea loanee - Matt Miazga. Signed 5 years ago when he was 21, made two appearances in his first season and is now on his fifth loan spell.

You could really just fill this thread with Chelsea loanees of the last decade.

Edited by eez-eh

In one away from Chelsea/England, we have Juventus back up goalkeeper Carlo Pinsoglio.  He’s 31, and apart from 2 seasons in his early 20’s has been on the books at Juventus since he was 10. In all that time, he’s made 4 league appearances for them. He only made his debut for them in 2018, a full 18 years after first arriving at the club.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Pinsoglio

16 hours ago, Meldrew said:

Chelsea has 43 players out on loan in 2018 or 19 

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

In one away from Chelsea/England, we have Juventus back up goalkeeper Carlo Pinsoglio.  He’s 31, and apart from 2 seasons in his early 20’s has been on the books at Juventus since he was 10. In all that time, he’s made 4 league appearances for them. He only made his debut for them in 2018, a full 18 years after first arriving at the club.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Pinsoglio

I think Chelsea and Juventus were around 45 players on loan a season or 2 ago. Man City were catching up with them as well. Patrick Roberts is still a Man City player and they gave him a new contract last year while letting Sane go on a free???????

FIFA are trying to limit this form next year though https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/new-rules-fifa-put-cap-on-loan-deals-limit-to-go-down-further-in-2022/view/news/355880 

4 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

keep an eye on this kid, he's going to be great, don't know him personally but if his attitude is right, the sky's the limit.😆

I think he's actually retired now, having scored a grand total of 0 goals in his many loan spells.

Remember when he was going to be the Scottish Wayne Rooney?

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I think he's actually retired now, having scored a grand total of 0 goals in his many loan spells.

Remember when he was going to be the Scottish Wayne Rooney?

i actually missed that, i remember hearing john fleck was the scottish rooney though, 

On 24/08/2021 at 18:17, TheJTS98 said:

I'm surprised that it's just Chelsea and City who have properly capitalised on this. When you look at some of the transfer fees that come in, it is a fair help towards FFP. There's a lot of players every season who quietly move on in windows for 7 figures.

Mooy is a good example of how powerful it can be. Signed on a three year deal from Melbourne City in June 2016, loaned out 6 days later and then less than a year to the day the transfer is permanent for £10 million. Their exposure would have been absolutely tiny as well, he'd have been commanding peanuts coming from Australia and Huddersfield would have been paying the bulk of his wages.

• 4 months later...
On 24/08/2021 at 13:20, NorthernLights said:

Promising youngster Lewis has now moved on and joined Stoke - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59937135