Businesses no longer accepting cash

Cash is a health and safety issue now. If you were a cash handling staff member would you fancy being forced to touch money that some moron anti vaxxer has had their minging hands all over?
Plenty of businesses were phasing it out pre pandemic, this has just accelerated things. Tim Hortons and Wagamama’s are two I can think of off the top of my head that no longer take cash.

25 minutes ago, Lex said:

Cash is a health and safety issue now. If you were a cash handling staff member would you fancy being forced to touch money that some moron anti vaxxer has had their minging hands all over?
Plenty of businesses were phasing it out pre pandemic, this has just accelerated things. Tim Hortons and Wagamama’s are two I can think of off the top of my head that no longer take cash.

Maybe for staff, but today for example contactless wouldnt work so I had to type my pin in. I wonder how many grotty fingers had touched that today before me 

36 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Maybe for staff, but today for example contactless wouldnt work so I had to type my pin in. I wonder how many grotty fingers had touched that today before me 

"Excuse me.  How many people have touched the 5, the 7, the 2 and the 3?  I need to know."

14 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Cash only pubs are full of old c***s sitting nursing a pint for hours, reading the Daily Record and occasionally going to the bookies to check if they’re 2 Bob bet on the 2.40 at Aintree came up.

Card only places will keep out the undesirables IMO.

God I really miss The Orwells all of a sudden.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't understand people who have the means to do so who don't carry 40 or 50 quid in cash just in case they need it.

"I've never got cash on me" - why? It's not going to turn into a pumpkin if you don't use it within 3 days of withdrawing it.

I was going to say a McDonalds straw does the job better but they've switched to paper ones now.

I went into either an Aldi or Lidl in some small Dutch town a couple of years ago to buy a snack and I had no idea it was a cashless only store until the miserable cashier bluntly rejected my 5 euro note. I dread to think how much that bag of crisps and bottle of juice actually cost me once Clydesdale stung me for using my debit card overseas.

I don't know how common cashless shops are on the continent.

5 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't understand people who have the means to do so who don't carry 40 or 50 quid in cash just in case they need it.

"I've never got cash on me" - why? It's not going to turn into a pumpkin if you don't use it within 3 days of withdrawing it.

I have one friend who only gets £10 from the ATM at a time.  If it is only issuing £20 notes he has to go somewhere else.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Although it hasn't been. We weren't paying for those slaves and spices in pounds sterling.

I'm pretty sure the ancient empires of North Africa and the Middle East, were using currency well before the pound sterling came to pass.

Cash only pubs are full of old c***s sitting nursing a pint for hours, reading the Daily Record and occasionally going to the bookies to check if they’re 2 Bob bet on the 2.40 at Aintree came up.

Card only places will keep out the undesirables IMO.
Spends his Friday/Saturday nights in the local Wetherspoons with the #LADS type post.

One of the things I've noticed with the move to cards and not having cash is it's often difficult to leave tips. I wonder if bar staff have noted a drop off in the tips they get.

Generally the only places I've found that don't take cash are chip shops and Chinese takeaways and it's a right pain in the arse when you find out they don't.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Over a million adults in the UK don’t have a bank account.

Not doubting the truth of this but how does anyone function without one?

Is there anyone that still gets a pay packet on a Friday thats an envelope full of cash?  Benefits get paid into a bank account as well these days I think.  Wasn’t there legislation a few years back to allow everyone a right to at least a no frills bank account regardless of credit history/income etc.

There will be some people living outside of what we would term normal society but I’m surprised it’s as many as a million adults.