South of Scotland League general chat

Big night at Heathhall on Wed as Lochar entertain Creetown after todays results;

Creetown 1-1 Mids

Lochar 5-2 Stranraer 

Creetown on 48pts with 4 to play.

Lochar on 48pts with only 2 to play strangely enough both games are against Creetown.

Last game of season sees Lochar travel to Castlecary for a potential winner takes all. Will know better after Wed night.

On 13/04/2023 at 14:50, FuzzyBear said:

Linlithgow beat St Cuthberts 9-0 in the Scottish this season.

A far poorer Saints side than last Seasons Champions with a virtually entirely new Team full stop 

57 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Big night at Heathhall on Wed as Lochar entertain Creetown after todays results;

Creetown 1-1 Mids

Lochar 5-2 Stranraer 

Lochar on 48pts with only 2 to play strangely enough both games are against Creetown.

Last game of season sees Lochar travel to Castlecary for a potential winner takes all. Will know better after Wed night.

Looking forward to it, if creetown win it’s their title. If Lochar win then it will go to the last game 🤩 Lochar will hate dropping points against uppers last Wednesday then 🤦‍♂️

Good to see Newton and Nithsdale go for a cup run as well. Newton are a good side when they are at full strength. It’s been inconsistency with players unavailable due to work, injuries that’s hampered them. 

6 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Can I suggest that fans of each club insist their committees do due diligence and find out why this club feels their place is in the South League as opposed to the West.

They may well be genuine but be certain about it before letting them in.

I believe the question was asked by our Club and no reply was forthcoming from the apparent applicants 

15 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:Looking forward to it, if creetown win it’s their title. If Lochar win then it will go to the last game 🤩 Lochar will hate dropping points against uppers last Wednesday then 🤦‍♂️

Good to see Newton and Nithsdale go for a cup run as well. Newton are a good side when they are at full strength. It’s been inconsistency with players unavailable due to work, injuries that’s hampered them. 

The side I believe have W9 D1 L1 in the League ( as good as anyone ) since the turn of the year even without a fair few guaranteed starters this last few weeks and it surely augurs well for next term ! Get these lads fully fit again and the young lads they introduced have a Season under they belt now as well so a bright future for them hopefully.

Still Creetown's to lose this year and if they get over that line all the very best to our neighbours in any play off as they’ll fully deserve their chance after an impressive campaign 

20 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Can I suggest that fans of each club insist their committees do due diligence and find out why this club feels their place is in the South League as opposed to the West.

They may well be genuine but be certain about it before letting them in.

I can assure you that the club has been doing plenty of research and in conversation with the league and GWFC since this was first muted. 👍 

On 14/04/2023 at 22:38, HorseyGhirl said:

Hi mate been a while.

There is no boundary between the West and South official or unofficial as per both League's Constitutions. 

Threave are an established club who dropped 4 tiers, reason being they felt their future was better served in the West. They took a big risk which almost backfired.

Dukes are a 2 year old internet club who are using the SOS for an agenda. Do they think they can come down here get a licence, win the league and maybe sneak a win in the play-offs? That would make sense.

It doesn't matter what age the club is. If you believe that jumping ship for the 'best interests of the club' is acceptable, then the same applies to both (and all) equally. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

It doesn't matter what age the club is. If you believe that jumping ship for the 'best interests of the club' is acceptable, then the same applies to both (and all) equally. 

Very true totally agree with that you say.

So it is then up to the League and League clubs to decide if voting to accept the club is in the best interests of them.

I don't believe Threave are going to cause any trouble or otherwise in the West. I am not so sure about Dukes; I could in the end be wrong we will find out or not.

Contrary to what you may think I am not anti-south. I think by my actions on here; defending and promoting the league, and also attending as many games as my circumstaces allow are testimony to that.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

My apologies to all if it comes across as preaching or that I know better than the league's clubs.

I am Glasgow born and bred and trust me when I say that there are plenty people up there who couldn't point to Galloway on a map. They also think there is nothing but fields between Stranraer and Dumfries.

So my suspicions of Dukes motives are based on some insight. I support and follow the game in the South and want to see teams continue and thrive. I do not want it to be used by 'outside' clubs who might have an agenda damaging to the clubs down here.

17 hours ago, AML67 said:

The side I believe have W9 D1 L1 in the League ( as good as anyone ) since the turn of the year even without a fair few guaranteed starters this last few weeks and it surely augurs well for next term ! Get these lads fully fit again and the young lads they introduced have a Season under they belt now as well so a bright future for them hopefully.

Still Creetown's to lose this year and if they get over that line all the very best to our neighbours in any play off as they’ll fully deserve their chance after an impressive campaign 

A few teams have definitely improved. I watched Mids earlier in the season and again since the turn of the year have been on a decent run. Wish I could say the same for Saints.

@HorseyGhirl I live very close to Greenfields, and have been able to see a bit of progress on GWFC Park in the past few months, it looks like they're going to enclose the pitch but I'm sure given the location of their facilities if that may impact a licence - its also separated by a public path which will cause issues. 

We've a "precedent" set with Edusport, Bonnyton and were also close to letting in 4 others (now West and Lowland Clubs).  Clearly this was pre WoSFL becoming part of the equation, but given they have taken Threave, GWFC theoretically should go West - however, that'll be up to the South Clubs to vote.  I've not heard what their plans are should they fail to be admitted and whether they have a backup plan.

From speaking to others who are involved, they think it would take sometime to be contenders and very much are of the opinion any progression including being ready for a crack at a playoff is a number of years away.  

42 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

My apologies to all if it comes across as preaching or that I know better than the league's clubs.

I am Glasgow born and bred and trust me when I say that there are plenty people up there who couldn't point to Galloway on a map. They also think there is nothing but fields between Stranraer and Dumfries.

So my suspicions of Dukes motives are based on some insight. I support and follow the game in the South and want to see teams continue and thrive. I do not want it to be used by 'outside' clubs who might have an agenda damaging to the clubs down here.

Threave are using the WoS to their self-interested advantage: you can't applaud one club for doing so, while railing against another trying the opposite move for the exact same purpose. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Threave are using the WoS to their self-interested advantage: you can't applaud one club for doing so, while railing against another trying the opposite move for the exact same purpose. 

We're never going to agree on this, but it's healthy to have opposing views.

I don't see how dropping from Tier 6 to 10 is achieving any kind of an advantage, and it almost backfired with them scraping into the last promotion spot.

Whereas trying to enter the system at Tier 6 quite clearly is an advantage, not having to go through all the promotion attempts to get there. 

What I'm saying is that Dukes appear to have looked at the 2 Leagues and thought 'oh shall we enter the pyramid at Tier 10 along with other local teams and be anonymous or apply to a Tier 6 League where we will be the only club from Glasgow and get all that free publicity to boot'. Would they have applied to SOS if there were another 1 or 2 divisions to navigate? Answers on a postcard please.

The big problem here and would like to think you agree is that we have 2 Leagues who can take from the exact same areas. This needs addressed.

2 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

@HorseyGhirl I live very close to Greenfields, and have been able to see a bit of progress on GWFC Park in the past few months, it looks like they're going to enclose the pitch but I'm sure given the location of their facilities if that may impact a licence - its also separated by a public path which will cause issues. 

We've a "precedent" set with Edusport, Bonnyton and were also close to letting in 4 others (now West and Lowland Clubs).  Clearly this was pre WoSFL becoming part of the equation, but given they have taken Threave, GWFC theoretically should go West - however, that'll be up to the South Clubs to vote.  I've not heard what their plans are should they fail to be admitted and whether they have a backup plan.

From speaking to others who are involved, they think it would take sometime to be contenders and very much are of the opinion any progression including being ready for a crack at a playoff is a number of years away.  

To be fair to the clubs mentioned, they had nowhere else to go pre WOS. 

Know Greenfields well from youth football and there is no way it's compliant for anything given the distance the pavilion is from the cage.

Also it's being Glasgow no chance in hell the council will allow it to become SFA Licence compliant. So maybe my concerns are unfounded in that sense. But still I'm suspicious of their motives. Again, until proved otherwise but only if voted in. As long as the clubs can  vote with all information to hand then it will be a fair and honest decision.

5 hours ago, Basile Boli said:

Threave Rovers being accepted into the WOS is a joke. Likewise, these Glasgow Wellington chancers applying for the SOS is laughable. 

To be fair both clubs are exploiting a loophole in that both Leagues cover the same geographical area. 

Threave moved because they felt the South was dying; very simplistic answer but covers the gist of why.

Dukes; no idea what their game is.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

To be fair both clubs are exploiting a loophole in that both Leagues cover the same geographical area. 

Threave moved because they felt the South was dying; very simplistic answer but covers the gist of why.

Dukes; no idea what their game is.

South isn’t dying. All you have to look at is the junior association making stupid decisions. Long may they stay in talks/association with the west as if things keep going the way they are with the juniors, expect clubs to come south. Nithsdale have even been put off with applying. If the juniors disband then south will go west. So simply put, as long as the junior association exists, the south will not be moving and may even grow nicely 🙌 

2 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

South isn’t dying. All you have to look at is the junior association making stupid decisions. Long may they stay in talks/association with the west as if things keep going the way they are with the juniors, expect clubs to come south. Nithsdale have even been put off with applying. If the juniors disband then south will go west. So simply put, as long as the junior association exists, the south will not be moving and may even grow nicely 🙌 

It was not my opinion, just what I was told at a Threave game earlier in the season.

Not sure what you are saying with the stuff about joonyurs. Joonyurs is the scottish cup and nothing else these days. If you mean the West, from what I have witnessed this season it is flourishing and has a bright future. Cannot see why any teams from central belt and Ayrshire would move south most couldn't find D&G with a map and compass, but what would I know just a supporter not involved with any club.

On 15/04/2023 at 21:32, HorseyGhirl said:

Creetown 1-1 Mids

Lochar 5-2 Stranraer 

Are you forgetting about Abbey Vale?

14 minutes ago, outsider said:

Are you forgetting about Abbey Vale?

Yep I sure did. After I posted I realised if Lochar win it puts Vale in prime position. Got a bit carried away. Still an game to look forward to tomorrow.