South of Scotland League general chat

34 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

My man I live down here Dalbeattie is 20mins away, lovely Chinese there by the way, and it is in South WEST Scotland. Don't get your  geography argument, so please explain to me your thinking, as to me I am pretty certain SOUTH is The Borders and D&G.  D&G IS South West. 

I know where Dalbeattie is: I was in Rockcliffe and Kippford just last summer. 

You're contradicting yourself with every sentence here. Dumfries and Galloway is as you state part of the South region - Dalbeattie is in Dumfries and Galloway - therefore their catchment area is the SoS league. It has always been a de facto Dumfries and Galloway league and it would be utterly ridiculous to try and pair up Dalbeattie with the north end of Greater Glasgow at tier 6 or lower. 

where do you want Campbeltown to go

I want Campbeltown and the rest of the Argyll (and Bute) clubs integrated into the pyramid, as part of the West region. That is the area that the WoS needs to look at to expand its geographical reach - and quite possibly split into two or three zones at tiers 8 or 9 to accommodate its actual catchment area properly.

The biggest barrier to creating a pyramid that gives every club in Scotland a fair shot to exist and compete is to create a glorified Strathclyde league that punts all the peripheral 'diddy' clubs on 6 hour long journeys on a regular basis. Not least when there's already a perfectly viable feeder to take clubs from the south of Scotland that would avoid this. 

Edited by vikingTON

NB: It's also not actually 'West' at all, given that it's a bawhair from Stirling and Inverness in terms of longitude either way. The actual West of the country has just been left out of the pyramid because it was never part of the Junior setup in the first place. 

40 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Got to say your points make no sense any more. I attend SOS matches and want to see the day Creetown play the likes of Maryhill and can compete.

What, so they can maintain their bitter and historical struggle for bragging rights each and every year (except that they'll actually play each other twice in a blue moon)? I really fail to see how dismantling an already functioning regional league will make any difference to Creetown or any other club's prospects. Any competitive gulf is caused by the gulf in resources between each community - both financial and the local availability of players. It is not being caused by playing 'diddy' opponents every week - in the same way that Celtic and Rangers being horsed in Europe is not actually caused by playing Motherwell and Livingston on Saturdays. 

This gormless 'ambishun' justification needs launched into the sea. 

Edited by vikingTON

Well I'm afraid that longitude is an objective fact and it does not actually place Dalbeattie in the west of the country. Latitude on the other hand places it in the south of the country though: if only there was some sort of league for that precise area. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I know where Dalbeattie is: I was in Rockcliffe and Kippford just last summer. 

You're contradicting yourself with every sentence here. Dumfries and Galloway is as you state part of the South region - Dalbeattie is in Dumfries and Galloway - therefore their catchment area is the SoS league. It has always been a de facto Dumfries and Galloway league and it would be utterly ridiculous to try and pair up Dalbeattie with the north end of Greater Glasgow at tier 6 or lower. 

I want Campbeltown and the rest of the Argyll (and Bute) clubs integrated into the pyramid, as part of the West region. That is the area that the WoS needs to look at to expand its geographical reach - and quite possibly split into two or three zones at tiers 8 or 9 to accommodate its actual catchment area properly.

The biggest barrier to creating a pyramid that gives every club in Scotland a fair shot to exist and compete is to create a glorified Strathclyde league that punts all the peripheral 'diddy' clubs on 6 hour long journeys on a regular basis. Not least when there's already a perfectly viable feeder to take clubs from the south of Scotland that would avoid this. 

Diddy clubs ?

Not that I'm saying Coldstream/Tweedmouth are but they've still to travel to Perth for Luncarty and Kinnoull ?

Why glorify Strathclyde ?

D&G should be West its as simple as that.

Scotland is far too lop sided North/South geographically and population wise to even contemplate a pyramid. 

That's the biggest problem. 

10 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

@virginton ok you win, you're right I'm wrong. Don't know where I Iive, up is down and left is right.

Can't be arsed anymore. 

Just going to enjoy my football and accept my inferiority to superior minds.

On 17/02/2023 at 21:34, HorseyGhirl said:

Biggest shame about the SOS forum is that we never seem to tallk about the clubs or any games.

It's always about the perceived standard and what tier the league should be in. A disappointing aspect is that the justification for he south being at tier 6 is; 'well it's not stopping any team that wants to get promoted, so no harm done leaving it at tier 6'.

It's a very condescending attitude to the SOS and if I was involved with any of the club's would drive me crazy. But you never seem to hear anything from the SOS. Why?

As I've said, way too many times now, will be at Alba Cup Final and believe me I plan to talk about it. 

HorseyGhirl, credit to you for trying to get this thread going. But as usual hijacked or the main topic seems to be which tier the league should be in. 

Which South game were you at yesterday HorseyGhirl? Wee match report , thoughts, opinions, gossip? Anybody else? Yesterdays possible topics of conversation, Threave Rovers fielding 2 teams in 2 different  leagues,  Newton Stewart, 100 mile round trip for match postponed an hour before kick off, Creetown back to top of the league, 3 horse race, who's going to win the league?  I was at a LL game yesterday, could be going to watch the SOS league next season, but am probably posting on the wrong forum.

9 hours ago, Sermani said:

HorseyGhirl, credit to you for trying to get this thread going. But as usual hijacked or the main topic seems to be which tier the league should be in. 

Which South game were you at yesterday HorseyGhirl? Wee match report , thoughts, opinions, gossip? Anybody else? Yesterdays possible topics of conversation, Threave Rovers fielding 2 teams in 2 different  leagues,  Newton Stewart, 100 mile round trip for match postponed an hour before kick off, Creetown back to top of the league, 3 horse race, who's going to win the league?  I was at a LL game yesterday, could be going to watch the SOS league next season, but am probably posting on the wrong forum.

I've been found out. Have not been to an SOS game since Sept or so. Been following Div 4 in WOS, I know traitor. Games have been enjoyable and reasonable quality. 

Will be at Alba Cup Final, think I may have mentioned that previously.😗😗 Really should get along to some SOS especially now St. Mary's has reopened.

I really fear for the future of senior football in the region, might be alone in thinking that as the pyramid progresses clubs could get left behind. Big problem is the single division with its hotch potch make up of teams. Current situation benefits no-one down here. The SOS League to me seem to just keep their heads down and be quiet.

It can be an unpopular opinion but for me Threave have shown the way forward. Dont advocate SOS dying, but an amalgamation with the WOS to have a more coherent system for SOUTH/WEST Scotland. On that note every time I come off M74 onto A75 sign clearly says SOUTH WEST Scotland.😊😊

The Threave games were nuts. First team played Glenvale. Under 17s and 'retirees' played Cup Game at St.Marys. 

What was that all about?

17 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Diddy clubs ?

Not that I'm saying Coldstream/Tweedmouth are but they've still to travel to Perth for Luncarty and Kinnoull ?

Which is an argument for reducing the geographical scope of the East region too. 

D&G should be West its as simple as that.

Well no, because Kintyre and Gretna are not both part of a financially viable league structure at tiers 6-10. Clubs will literally go into abeyance or fold because of operating costs on the periphery of any such super-region, and for what purpose? 

Scotland is far too lop sided North/South geographically and population wise to even contemplate a pyramid. 

That's the biggest problem. 

It's not lop-sided North to South, it is lop-sided between the broadest definition of the Central Belt (Ayrshire, Fife and south Perthshire inclusive) and the other regions of the country. 

Jamming everyone else into a either a West or an East division makes absolutely no logical or logistical sense when the most important transport routes actually run from West to East. 

9 hours ago, Sermani said:

The whole point of a thread on a forum is that multiple topics can progress at the same time. If you want to post about the games, do so. 

Hello. Going to head down to Lockerbie tomorrow to go and watch the Mids. Have never been before, looking for a wee cafe for lunch, anyone in the know?

Also, I know it's not a geographical derby, but do Mid Annandale and Upper Annandale have any history against each other eg is this a 'big game'?

Definitely showing my lack of knowledge in the south but that's why I'm here! cheers.

On 14/02/2023 at 09:54, newcastle broon said:

Well I like to read the input on here most weeks.

Is there just 3 licensed clubs thst are able for promotion from the South? 

That’s correct at the moment although as you’ll have seen Mids have installed a new seated area which may signify their intentions ! Likewise Creetown had indicated their ambitions to go down that route too , time will tell for both and good luck to them 

On 16/02/2023 at 07:11, HorseyGhirl said:

Yep, it's the clubs that will decide or as you say an association.

Doesn't mean we as supporters can't have opinions or friendly debates/disagreements. Only disappointing element is that there are no contributors from any other supporters of SOS clubs. Would be good to hear others views especially on Threave's departure and the Wellington application.

But heh ho such is life.

Anyways enjoy football and I'm sure we'll cross paths on the future.

Threaves decision would probably be it would appear to others in the South simply to integrate into the West before any potential amalgamation in the future ! They’ll invest season on season and hope to gradually climb through the West Tiers until they find their level imo.

As for Glasgow Wellington you have to imagine bypassing Tiers 10-7 would have to be the obvious thought process from them and how accommodating the South will be to that situation may well depend on Dalbeattie’s possible demotion back to our League ! 

it’s actually good to see a competitive League for once in our region and may the best team win 

On 16/02/2023 at 19:58, HorseyGhirl said:

Agree in no way is SOS blocking any aspect of the pyramid in an earlier post stated that SOS wasn't a Tier 6, I was annoyed at something or someone, I was wrong and apologised. 

To be fair neither club is doing anything wrong,  as both Leagues state in their constitution they cover the West of our wee nation.

For me that is the main problem, having 2 Leagues claiming same geographical area. 

I live in the Stewartry, but hail from Glasgow Southside via North Lanarkshire and come from a Junior family, so am fully aware of the superiority complex indicative of a lot of these Junior supporters.          First came here to work at the Dundrennan Ranges in early 90's and went to St.Marys regularly.              This season have seen and enjoyed the games Threave have played in the new 4th Div. I must be honest, the teams at the top of this Div are better than the South teams I have seen play. That can be said about the different tier 5 Leagues, tier 6, tier 7 and so on. 

But that doesn't justify this proclamation that SOS or any league should self demote or promote itself.

Threave have their reasons for moving and personally I think it was right for them at this time having spoken with a few of the committee. If they miss out on promotion then who knows what they will do.

My issue is not about the SOS dropping, I feel rightly or wrongly that as a whole they aren't fully engaged in the pyramid, which if true is disappointing.

It's good to hear from a south supporter. If you can manage it get yourself along to St.Marys on 3rd Mar for Alba Cup Final. Lochar v Creetown I'll be there if the wife allows.

Intending to head along to the Alba Cup Final myself hopefully 

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Good evening from St.Marys. Saints v Caley Braves 2nd 11.

20230301_200309.jpg

Just back from St.Marys finished 2-2. Score hints at a decent game.

First half passed without incident and any football. Caley took lead shortly after half time after some poor defending. Score stayed that way with neither keeper being tested much, until approx 85 mins when Saints broke up a Caley defensive move and the net bulged after a sweet drive from edge of the box. Barely 2 mins later Saints were in front after Caley failed to deal with a throw in and a free header from the 2nd ball was dispatched via the post.

You could sense an equaliser and it duly arrived when Saints stood off allowing the French capt to drive into the box and finish cleanly.

All outfield players for Caley spoke French so would presume the Edusport Model is alive and flourishing.

The football on show was, as my boy describes it Brexit football. I thought we had moved on from the backline passing it amongst themselves before launching the poor ball into the heavens. 

Saints I have to say are a poor outfit, no-one stood out. Any football came from the French boys, but it was limited. The French no.11 was the stand out, tidy in possession but end product and decision making lacking.

Anyways onto Friday night and Alba Cup Final featuring 2 teams at other end of the South League.

Hoping for better fair. Speaking of which shows are in harbour square from tomorrow. Candy floss all round.

See you Friday, if game not any better will just stick with my West Div 4 I'm afraid. But fingers crossed.

17 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Just back from St.Marys finished 2-2. Score hints at a decent game.

First half passed without incident and any football. Caley took lead shortly after half time after some poor defending. Score stayed that way with neither keeper being tested much, until approx 85 mins when Saints broke up a Caley defensive move and the net bulged after a sweet drive from edge of the box. Barely 2 mins later Saints were in front after Caley failed to deal with a throw in and a free header from the 2nd ball was dispatched via the post.

You could sense an equaliser and it duly arrived when Saints stood off allowing the French capt to drive into the box and finish cleanly.

All outfield players for Caley spoke French so would presume the Edusport Model is alive and flourishing.

The football on show was, as my boy describes it Brexit football. I thought we had moved on from the backline passing it amongst themselves before launching the poor ball into the heavens. 

Saints I have to say are a poor outfit, no-one stood out. Any football came from the French boys, but it was limited. The French no.11 was the stand out, tidy in possession but end product and decision making lacking.

Anyways onto Friday night and Alba Cup Final featuring 2 teams at other end of the South League.

Hoping for better fair. Speaking of which shows are in harbour square from tomorrow. Candy floss all round.

See you Friday, if game not any better will just stick with my West Div 4 I'm afraid. But fingers crossed.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0sfdJ4uHAnBBxG2peUhPj1ZPim6b2vcC3tprU8AaqSykgKPsEMycu2RmVrtmcbUKJl&id=100057387462648&sfnsn=scwspmo

I must have been at a different game last night.