SPFL Review

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The statement is deliberately written to imply that it is another Premiership club who is not Aberdeen IMO.

18 hours ago, AJF said:

Agreed. When I first read the letter of concern I assumed the one club that had input was not one of the 6 that had attached their name to it based on the tone of the letter.

I think this is based more on the reasonable assumption that why would the only club who have been consulted during the process be complaining about the process?  But,  Aberdeen may well feel, rightly, that it's clearly wrong in any event to only consult 1 club from 42 even if they were that 1 club. 

ZSo the SPFL asks an independent body to look at Thier business model and practices,

This paid for by the member clubs,  yet the member clubs don't get to see it?

What annoys me  is any time clubs criticise the SPFL , donkeycaster comes out and says he just spouts the usual  speil he is mouthpiece for the clubs.

So the clubs can remove the board THEY appointed  and replace it

If it's a joint statement why has an orc journalist released it with only really STV commenting on it so far? Was it a draft that got leaked I assume and the clubs have now delayed or back tracked? Apologies if clubs have ran with it but I haven't seen anything on twitter.

Edited by gannonball

58 minutes ago, gannonball said:

If it's a joint statement why has an orc journalist released it with only really STV commenting on it so far? Was it a draft that got leaked I assume and the clubs have now delayed or back tracked? Apologies if clubs have ran with it but I haven't seen anything on twitter.

The story has been covered by pretty much every major news/sports news outlet. Sky Sports, BBC, Daily Record, STV, The Scotsman, The Sun, Glasgow Times, The Herald. They all have features and articles regarding it.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

The story has been covered by pretty much every major news/sports news outlet. Sky Sports, BBC, Daily Record, STV, The Scotsman, The Sun, Glasgow Times, The Herald. They all have features and articles regarding it.

Ah I was on  the BBC site earlier and must of missed it I just assumed they would be releasing it through their own media pages, the whole thing is just a bit strange.

54 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Ah I was on  the BBC site earlier and must of missed it I just assumed they would be releasing it through their own media pages, the whole thing is just a bit strange.

Aye, you'd have expected there to be an official release of the letter from the clubs, rather than through media and twitter.

Stenhousemuir now having their say:

The board of Stenhousemuir Football Club welcomes and supports the statement issued yesterday from six Premiership clubs citing serious concerns regarding the handling of the recent Independent Governance Report.

This report was initially deemed necessary following the SPFL’s apparent botched handling and subsequent dispute between the SPFL and one of our member clubs regarding the league’s main sponsorship partner.

Our Chairman, Iain McMenemy, raised this at the SPFL general meeting in July 2023 and received verbal assurances that this review and report would get to the bottom of what happened, how much it cost clubs financially, and, that this would all be handled independently and reported back to all clubs.

It appears that these assurances have not been met.

Iain McMenemy commented, “After being assured for almost two years that the SPFL were in the right in continuing this dispute with Rangers, we were surprised to receive, without warning, a copy of a news release that seemed to be an embarrassing climbdown.   The SPFL had to apologise to Rangers, pay compensation and legal costs, and admit that they got this wrong.

“Quite rightly, we wanted to know why we had gone down this now discredited route, how much this had cost the league, and in turn how much less would be paid out to clubs because of this?  Knowing this was essential to ensure that we don’t make these mistakes again in the future.  This was the basis and catalyst for the Independence Governance Report.

“Far from drawing a line under this issue, the entire handling of this review and report raises fresh questions and concerns regarding the judgement of those running our game.

“It’s time for complete transparency with all member clubs who are the shareholders of the SPFL.  We welcome this intervention from six of our largest clubs and will support them in any endeavour to achieve transparency, clarity, and accountability as a matter of urgency.”

Not sure how this is all going to end but doesn’t look like it’ll be pretty.