Caley Jags vs. Doonhamers

16 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

What’s his overall record for Queens ( 2nd spell ) 

League games only P62 W18 D12 L32
Eta PPG is 1.06 which would be 38 points from a 36 game season. Which is the same as Naysmith got in his last season.

Edited by Flash

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Eta PPG is 1.06 which would be 38 points from a 36 game season. Which is the same as Naysmith got in his last season.

It's pretty lousy.

I think he's been genuinely helped by the fact that better results have tended to be clumped together in bursts.

I suppose that a defence would point to our budget being relatively low in our surroundings.  If his remit Is to keep us in this division, then I suppose he's just meeting it thus far.

It's bloody grim though and we know that our luck will run out.

Thought it was a poor game played out by two fairly poor teams. We didn’t even attempt to play for 45 minutes and our goal was rarely troubled. Second half we came out and had a go, played a bit better and got our reward. Then the usual defending haunts us, cheap goal from our point of view although it was a nice turn and finish. 

No idea why we started so negatively as although that caley side are winning games I didn’t think Gardyne aside they had many players we should have been scared of opening up against. 

Lets  never ever try Joseph as a lone striker again please. 

He is picking Joseph over Paton and Ruben.

I haven't been blown away by Paton. Junior isn't much of a goal threat but harries the defence and holds the ball up really well. Both comfortably offer more than Joseph though and I'm still waiting on someone telling me what he actually brings to the side.

35 minutes ago, Flash said:

I wouldn't imagine that the record in Cups will provide much of a boost.  

The win percentage might be aided slightly by fixtures against the likes of Broomhill, but our Cup record has generally been pretty shit over the period.

20 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Thought it was a poor game played out by two fairly poor teams. We didn’t even attempt to play for 45 minutes and our goal was rarely troubled. Second half we came out and had a go, played a bit better and got our reward. Then the usual defending haunts us, cheap goal from our point of view although it was a nice turn and finish. 

No idea why we started so negatively as although that caley side are winning games I didn’t think Gardyne aside they had many players we should have been scared of opening up against. 

Lets  never ever try Joseph as a lone striker again please. 

For me that's a rather partisan summation.

Welsh was strolling and his passing both short and long was delightful. I think that's the best he has produced since he suffered the first metatarsal injury. Macgregor was also coming up with some lovely attacking touches before he was withdrawn.

13 minutes ago, sophia said:

For me that's a rather partisan summation.

Welsh was strolling and his passing both short and long was delightful. I think that's the best he has produced since he suffered the first metatarsal injury. Macgregor was also coming up with some lovely attacking touches before he was withdrawn.

You thought it was a good game ? 

I didn’t think Caley were very impressive but then again they didn’t have to be, we didn’t attempt to play at all in the first 45 and while we improved in the second half we didn’t really cause many issues.

Like I said Caley are winning but I didn’t think they were much to be frightened of in our tactical set up. 

Watched the last 5 minutes of first half and the second half.

Inverness didn't look anything special although as discussed earlier they may not have been playing in top gear. Good equaliser from Connelly and decent finish from Gardyne.

Not sure about today's starting Eleven and certain player positions. 

Missed a trick playing in white instead of our 100% record playing in pink on the road this season.

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

So you went in to 3rd gear then?

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Think he means they went from 1st gear to 2nd after the equaliser.

Yes, first to second gear.

Deserved win. As @TheScarf alludes we largely cigared that save for a period in the second half when Queens got their equaliser and looked like they might steal a point but fortunately we were able to go up a gear and get a deserved winner. For a team that apparently isn't that special we seem to be doing quite well in the league so I will enjoy ICT not being anything great for as long as it lasts.

Smashing performance from Gardyne. He might be 58 but he's still as fit as anyone in our squad and still has plenty to offer. Pacey and direct and not afraid to have a crack at goal when some might take an extra touch too many (Duku). Lovely finish for the winner and a deserved MotM. Devine continues to be perhaps our most consistent performer. He almost score a comedy own goal but other than that he was excellent again and stepped out of defence on numerous occasions to intercept balls forward from Queens. Carson was again solid at RB and MacGregor, before his injury, was running the midfield. Walsh was disappointing though and I feel that he's not really hit the height he did in his previous stint with us.

Connelly looked useful for Queens who did press and harry us a lot in the first half but seemed to cease after conceding a goal and seemed content to let us knock the ball about looking for an opening. Unfortunately a fair bit of our play broke down in the final third (we definitely lacked a killer pass at times) but I felt we dealt with their few attacking opportunities quite well. Their equaliser was absolutely stunning but fortunately we just upped our game a bit and took a deserved win.

All in all, a very pleasing day.

722182432_WhatsAppImage2021-09-25at20_51_17.jpeg.420750dc96032b87f97c5e7fd07ce26c.jpeg

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, RiG said:

For a team that apparently isn't that special we seem to be doing quite well in the league so I will enjoy ICT not being anything great for as long as it lasts.

I can kinda see where opposition fans are coming from when they comment on us after games. As mentioned we barely seem to get out of second gear in any of the games we have played this season, except for the second half against Partick, so i get why they might not be too impressed. On saying that though we have only dropped two points and clearly have a squad full of very good players for this level.

I don’t mean this as a criticism of the way we are playing but, today for example, we are top of the league playing at home against the team 7th in the table. When we go 1-0 up it would be good to see us turn the screw on the opposition and try to kill the game off early on rather than just playing the same way.

I will quite happily watch us win 1-0 or 2-1 all season long but it would be good to kind of put a marker down with a 3 or 4 goal win.

9 hours ago, RiG said:

Deserved win. As @TheScarf alludes we largely cigared that save for a period in the second half when Queens got their equaliser and looked like they might steal a point but fortunately we were able to go up a gear and get a deserved winner. For a team that apparently isn't that special we seem to be doing quite well in the league so I will enjoy ICT not being anything great for as long as it lasts.

Smashing performance from Gardyne. He might be 58 but he's still as fit as anyone in our squad and still has plenty to offer. Pacey and direct and not afraid to have a crack at goal when some might take an extra touch too many (Duku). Lovely finish for the winner and a deserved MotM. Devine continues to be perhaps our most consistent performer. He almost score a comedy own goal but other than that he was excellent again and stepped out of defence on numerous occasions to intercept balls forward from Queens. Carson was again solid at RB and MacGregor, before his injury, was running the midfield. Walsh was disappointing though and I feel that he's not really hit the height he did in his previous stint with us.

Connelly looked useful for Queens who did press and harry us a lot in the first half but seemed to cease after conceding a goal and seemed content to let us knock the ball about looking for an opening. Unfortunately a fair bit of our play broke down in the final third (we definitely lacked a killer pass at times) but I felt we dealt with their few attacking opportunities quite well. Their equaliser was absolutely stunning but fortunately we just upped our game a bit and took a deserved win.

All in all, a very pleasing day.

722182432_WhatsAppImage2021-09-25at20_51_17.jpeg.420750dc96032b87f97c5e7fd07ce26c.jpeg

Mmm.

I thought we were the better side in the opening 10 mins then lost a stupid set piece goal. Needless cheap foul and not sure the wall was set up right. No taking away from the strike. The rest of the first half was pretty awful from both sides. Fair play the onus isnt on ICT to do much with a lead but both teams were giving it away and offering little. 

We gradually grew into the game 2nd half without threatening an awful lot before the goal. At 1-1 it could have gone either way and I dont think if it had stayed that way we would have 'stolen' a point. If anything we maybe tried too much to win it and left gaps Gardyne exploited. The winner was a bog standard straight ball up the middle and should have been dealt with. Its a great finish but there's nothing clever in it, just criminal defending. 

Take the point that ICT won the game and did what they needed to and in tandem with the start they've had I'm sure their fans are delighted. I do think it was a poor game though and most sides we've seen this season have played better.

Edited by Skyline Drifter