VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

How do you "improve the quality of the referees"? We can't go out and sign new ones from other countries, and if anything the number of people interested in being one has decreased over the last few years.

Maybe get some not from the west side of Scotland, for a start.

3 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Maybe get some not from the west side of Scotland, for a start.

There are several current top flight referees who are not from the West of Scotland, but given that the area typically being discussed has about 50% of the country's population it's probably not a big surprise there are lots of from there.

12 hours ago, Saint Paddy said:

As an amateur ref, I have said that if the coaches had done basic ref training,  my job would be so much easier .

If I turn up for a match, and the coach acknowledges they are/have been a ref, I instantly relax. 

It's 100% the coaches who think they know the laws of the game, but aren't right that cause all the problems.

If, at my level, every coach was obligated to take a ref's course, it would make my job easier

Ipso, if professional coaches had to take the same course,  by the time they become pundits, they MIGHT have some understanding of the laws and rules that are castigating.

I agree with you. Clearly some training would go a long with to understand and help the relationships with refs. On the other hand though it's interesting how quickly the idea of ex footballers or 'footballing people' helping to consult with referee's etc gets batted away. 

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are several current top flight referees who are not from the West of Scotland, but given that the area typically being discussed has about 50% of the country's population it's probably not a big surprise there are lots of from there.

Genuine question - are there any? Every referee on Saturday in the Premiership was from the west.

8 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Genuine question - are there any? Every referee on Saturday in the Premiership was from the west.

Would it make a difference? There's folk from all over Scotland who support Celtic or Sevco.

We should just do away with professional referees. They cause nothing but trouble.

Scottish fitba could go GLOBAL by bringing in the Celebrity Referee.

St Johnstone v Livi and Motherwell v Hearts this week? Who fucking cares?

St Johnstone v Livi, refereed by Carly Simon while Snoop Dog takes charge at Fir Park? MASSIVE.

And it couldn't be much worse than now.

14 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

I don't know exactly who is from where, but I'm sure was a list posted on here at one point not that long ago which showed that Glasgow and Lanarkshire were certainly well-represented, but that there were people from the east and a handful from the north too.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

We shouldn't allow any referees from Ayrshire. When you put it all into the big Scottish Fitba Supercomputer, the likelihood of anyone who meets the following criteria:

1) Being from Ayshire

2) Liking fitba

3) Being a referee

being a mason must be around 99%.

Are you suggesting that Collum, Clancy , Robertson and walsh are in the Masons.

About 15 years ago St Mirren played a replayed cup tie at Tannadice . The appointed ref was Alan Freeland who I believe was from the Tayside area. Wee Gus came out and said to the SFA ,  "we're not playing the game with him in charge as there will be local bias " ! SFA said no , and Freeland reffed the game , in the process he gave St Mirren everything and we won. Maybe it's time for some clubs to call out certain referees officially , get it out in the open , let the refs know officially that people are suspicious and they're being watched , not just on social media. 

Edited by billyg
ok

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

About 15 years ago St Mirren played a replayed cup tie at Tannadice . The appointed ref was Alan Freeland who I believe was from the Tayside area. Wee Gus came out and said to the SFA ,  "we're not playing the game with him in charge as there will be local bias " ! SFA said no , and Freeland reffed the game , in the process he gave St Mirren everything and we won. Maybe it's time for some clubs to call out certain referees officially , get it out in the open , let the refs know officially that people are suspicious and they're being watched , not just on social media. 

Was Freeland not the guy who specifically told MacPherson that he was going to f**k us over the next time he reffed us, in response to an altercation he had with Gus.

Yogi Hughes, of all people, witnessed it and backed Gus up,  and we secured a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't ref us again because he was retiring soon anyway.

Just now, Dirty Sanchez said:

Was Freeland not the guy who specifically told MacPherson that he was going to f**k us over the next time he reffed us, in response to an altercation he had with Gus.

Yogi Hughes, of all people, witnessed it and backed Gus up,  and we secured a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't ref us again because he was retiring soon anyway.

Yes , the "f**k us over" comment was earlier so everyone knew about it , but Gus bringing it into the open meant all eyes were on Freeland , and he knew it !

52 minutes ago, billyg said:

Calling out referees is not a new thing , Celtic have been doing it for years with a fair amount of success.