Insulate Britain

Whilst I sympathise with the message the protestors were trying to get across, the fact that people, like myself, with Teslas also got caught up in it is absolutely mental and completely self-defeating.

It's no wonder they now find themselves where they are with such ill-thought out and hairbrained schemes.

One last thought before turning in for the night.

What would be an appropriate sentence in the eyes of more lenient posters here? No "well not this" cop outs, put figures in for jail time/ fines.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

What would be an appropriate sentence in the eyes of more lenient posters here? No "well not this" cop outs, put figures in for jail time/ fines.

A five year compulsory training course on why you shouldn't f**k around near roads. 

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

The CEOs of oil companies are responsible for things a lot worse than holding up traffic. How long should they get it the jail? 

Out of interest, what specific criminal offences are you accusing them of here?

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I disagree in this instance. This isn't someone throwing orange powder over a snooker table (as annoying as that was).

Jamming up the roads affects emergency services too. Plus, as said above, how regular folk are severely affected.

As far as I can tell all these people who were jailed were in the overhead gantries. They weren’t in the road way, which was closed to allow the to be removed but was still useable. The pictures from the protests show the hard shoulder being clear for the emergency services to use before navigating the site of the incident.

Okay it takes resources away fair enough but 5 years inside for that? Way too much. May as well have 5 year sentence for any motoring offence, in which case the criminal justice system would collapse. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Speed awareness course. Seems what folk see as proportionate. 

Maybe 200 hours community pay back for the more egregious offenders, seeing as their crime has an effect on the community as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Deepwater horizon would be one example. No BP employees were ever jailed. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Would a speeding driver who causes a single vehicle crash be jailed for 5 years if they cause traffic delays or a policeman to fall off his bike?

Is that not a potential outcome if they were to be charged with dangerous/careless driving or driving without due care and attention etc.

42 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It isn't the cause under discussion but the actions.

They guy who got 5 years didn't even take part in the actual protest.

Do you think 5 years is an appropriate sentence for someone discussing non violent political protest on a zoom call ?

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Genocide of the Ogoni in Nigeria 

3 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Is that not a potential outcome if they were to be charged with dangerous/careless driving or driving without due care and attention etc.

That's some very judicious use of the bold function but no dice. That statement stands as a whole sentence 

9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fucked around and found out. Zero sympathy for these yuppies. Hopefully applied consistently and more get flung in jail.

Have you got your yuppies and hippies mixed up? 

7 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

If you don’t kill someone you wouldn’t get 5 years.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Imagine, for a second, that you are one of the people missing cancer treatment, or seeing a loved one for one last time, or missing an exam, because of these people.

This wasn't someone standing outside a building holding a placard. This affected real people in tangible ways. 

My wife missed a screening appointment because of Jams when Harry Styles was performing in the town. 

That and that Watermelon Sugar monstrosity should see him doing a life sentence. Life means life. 

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

I was very much against the overbearing authoritarian nature of the state, restricting people's freedoms during lockdown, however I simply love the overbearing authoritarian nature of the state restricting people's freedoms and locking up non violent protesters for 5 years and I hope they do it more.

Beautiful. Todd trying far too hard here and falling over himself. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Beautiful. Todd trying far too hard here and falling over himself. 

I think his head imploded after running out of red dots...............