Morton vs Accies

I still remember our last game at Cappielow in our promotion season, an exciting open game with us winning 4-3 having taken the lead 4 times.

Morton haven't won a league game since beating us on the 2nd week, and we don't do winning consecutive league games.

Despite not winning, of late Morton seem to be a fairly solid team, thats hard to break down, with their issues seeming to lie up front. 

With that in mind, and the way we play this is screaming a borefest 0-0.

Incredibly we have the joint best defensive record over the last 6 games as well as 3 clean sheets in the last 5 so we are solid enough at the back. Unfortunately for us, we are absolutely horrendous up top and have failed to score in 7 of our last 8 league games which is nothing short of shambolic. Gozie Ugwu is our best striker but he's out injured and not sure when he is back. 

We kept Thistle and their attacking threat quiet last night,  Hamilton in goal was rarely troubled but we also failed to test their keeper.

So in summary a 0-0 borefest is a distinct possibility which doesn't help us at all and will probably keep Gus in the hot seat for another week at least.

Edited by madton

28 minutes ago, Laid-back Accie said:

I still remember our last game at Cappielow in our promotion season, an exciting open game with us winning 4-3 having taken the lead 4 times.

Garry O'Connor scored that day. The most embarrassing thing to happen to either team in any of our meetings that season.

If we don't win this, MacPherson surely can't survive. Improved performances are useless to us without results and draws aren't enough. If we go 10 games without a win it's proof that he can't grind out the results needed to keep us up.

Assuming McEntee is injured, start the team which finished the game last night. Blues and Reilly have done nothing to justify keeping their places in the team, and while you can say the same of Oliver, Lithgow and McLean, sadly there aren't enough alternatives to drop them all.

Gus will probably drop Lyon, keep Blues in the starting line up, and bring in Hynes for Ledger. No doubt Murhead will reappear.

I would go with Hamilton, back 4 of Ledger, Lithgow, probably Mclean as nobody else available, and Strapp, Jacobs as holding mid with Lyon, Oksanen & and Russell in midfield.  In front of them I suppose we'll have Oliver with Muirhead but I'd maybe stick with Reilly for the first half at least as surely he must do something soon.  Goes without saying that if Gozie is fit he must start.

0-0 would not surprise me but our pent up glut of unscored goals must burst soon.  Please let it be this Saturday.

Still remember being at accies game this season and thinking we'd put in a dogged performance against a talented side that completely outplayed us and we had done well to get three points after a good point the week previously vs title favourites Dunfermline. 

Wish the season had ended there and then in my fantasy world. 

I know I might get panned for this but I thought Reilly was sharper than he has been since his arrival albeit he didn't score.

He's getting match fitter and I think he will score on Saturday. 

Keep Ledger in the team and Russell on the left. Lyon looked to be getting back to his best and Jacobs protected the defence. 

Narrow 1-0 for Morton

Surely we have to score a goal in Saturday. We had a few half chances on Tuesday night. 

Gus needs to f**k off with his strategy of cramming centre mids and centre halves into the team as much as possible.

Not sure of it's just me but I can never work out what formation we are playing. 

Aye he got away with no real abuse after another winless result on Tues as it was perceived that Thistle were flying etc and in isolation, it was an ok result. The performance was decent too but its got to the stage where that's now irrelevant, its all about scoring goals and winning games  to get us out of this shitshow.

Ten without a win and  another game without scoring must mean the end for Gus. The board clearly don't want to sack him and pay him and Millen off but the alternative is  even lower crowds than we have now, a collective pissed off fan base and MCT cancellations. What's the lesser of 2 evils here? 

Main concern is who plays up top for us. Defensively we are solid enough( joint best defensive record over the last 6 games) and Jacobs, Okansen and Lyon are looking decent in the middle but we have no creative wide players and our forwards have all been pish.( Ugwu has at least performed well when he has played) Looking at the league stats;

Knowles- 1 start, 6 sub 0 goals.

Reilly- 7 starts, 0 goals.

Muirhead- 5 starts, 3 sub, 0 goals.

Oliver 8 starts, 3 sub, 2 goals ( 1 was a pen)

Ugwu- 6 starts, 1 sub, 1 goal. 

40 appearances between them in the league, 3 goals. Absolutely shocking and that must improve if we are to survive this league. I'm still hopeful that Reilly and Ugwu could form a half decent partnership but concerned about this injury Ugwu has and the form Reilly is showing. He has done absolutely nothing to impress.  If things don't improve fast, we need to change it around in Jan. Hopefully we can send Knowles, Reilly and Allan back and replace with guys who can score goals in this league.

Concerned as feck as relegation could mean we stay down for a good few years, just need to hope we can somehow turn the corner, starting on Saturday. 

Edited by madton

8 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

No chance of either.

'No chance'... really? 'No chance'?

What will it take for said punting or walking then? Or are we letting him take us down and 'build back better'?

The success of community ownership rests on what happens next: either MacPherson can turn it round (and I genuinely hope he can), or he gets punted or walks with a negotiated settlement.

Anything else is fuckin madness.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

'No chance'... really? 'No chance'?

What will it take for said punting or walking then? Or are we letting him take us down and 'build back better'?

The success of community ownership rests on what happens next: either MacPherson can turn it round (and I genuinely hope he can), or he gets punted or walks with a negotiated settlement.

Anything else is fuckin madness.

Nope, the nearest thing to madness was giving him two years in the first place, but we can’t change that now.

Two things make me think he’s here for at least a wee while yet. First, while I haven’t had the chance yet to look at the Q & A it seems that it was made clear that we can’t really afford to pay them off. Second, although up till now we couldn’t score in a barrel full of fannies we aren’t isolated at the bottom. Five clubs, ie half of this league, are bunched together between seven points and twelve points, and there are still twenty five rounds of fixtures to go.

Unless things go totally pear shaped very soon I think they’ll give it till the beginning of next year before formally reviewing the management team’s position. There have been plenty of posts each week for the past month along the lines of “if we don’t win this game/the next two games he’s definitely got to go”  but if you look at the bigger picture after just a quarter of the season that’s just bollocks. Nobody’s getting much enjoyment out of what we’ve seen up till now, but Tuesday there against a Partick team that reamed us earlier in the season and will likely finish in the top five gave some room for cautious optimism……..      assuming somebody in the squad can start scoring goals.