Squad for Moldova/Denmark

Donathan

The squad is too small, he wants to create a club atmosphere but he relies on too few players. He needs to bring in another 7 players from somewhere so see them in training and so they can get to know the squad we have. Now is the time to do it. A lot of the bit part players should stay at home for this one.

If we qualify for any tournaments and have 6, 7 or 8 call offs, which can happen, we end up introducing a stack of new players to the squad at the last minute.

Are Tierney and Nisbet the only doubts (the latter's fitness and the former's form)? I suppose there's a case for Fraser and Turnbull dropping out as they've not been great and/or present for club or country but they'll probably stick around. I'd be shocked if Clarke dropped both of them. Ferguson was getting some stick when the October squad was announced - has he picked up recently?

Russell, Watt, Souttar and Henderson are apparently having good seasons but I've seen nothing of them. I'd still have Hickey in the squad too, but if anyone's coming in then it'll be a forward, I reckon.

I think there'll be one change at most but even that's unlikely.

31 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The squad is too small, he wants to create a club atmosphere but he relies on too few players. He needs to bring in another 7 players from somewhere so see them in training and so they can get to know the squad we have. Now is the time to do it. A lot of the bit part players should stay at home for this one.

If we qualify for any tournaments and have 6, 7 or 8 call offs, which can happen, we end up introducing a stack of new players to the squad at the last minute.

Why would we swap out a massive chunk of the squad when we've got two hugely important games coming up?

It's not like loads of players haven't been involved with Scotland anyway - in the last year he's called up a total of 39 players - it would take a lot of call-offs at a tournament for us to suddenly run out of guys.

Hanley and Dykes both picked up injuries at the weekend too, hopefully both are okay.
Wasn’t in the last squad but Declan Gallagher is also injured.
Ah yeah, they could be doubts. I reckon Clarke will call up all three injury doubts anyway unless Arsenal say otherwise. If one of Hanley or Tierney miss out then you could probably do without calling up a replacement but if they both do then we need at least one CB in. Hendry, Cooper and McKenna are flexible enough to cover two spots even if they are big downgrades.

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why would we swap out a massive chunk of the squad when we've got two hugely important games coming up?

It's not like loads of players haven't been involved with Scotland anyway - in the last year he's called up a total of 39 players - it would take a lot of call-offs at a tournament for us to suddenly run out of guys.

The games are always important. 

That's surprising, he is always looking to improve the squad if he has called up 39 players in a year. I never noticed. We could have some more surprise call ups then.

Squad will be pretty much them same anybody that thinks we will bring half a dozen new guys in is crazy and doesn't know Clarke 

Would love four natural forwards involved,but it will be square holes in pegs again and players playing out of the natural posistions again

And who I'm I or anybody else to slag his selection when we have been winning?

Russell 

Henderson 

Elliott 

Watt

Gauld

Henderson 

Hickey 

Dembele

Phillips 

Kane

Hyam

All got great cases for selection though 

And if Karlan Grant names in the selection tommorow will snap your hand off

1 hour ago, General dissaray said:

Squad will be pretty much them same anybody that thinks we will bring half a dozen new guys in is crazy and doesn't know Clarke 

Would love four natural forwards involved,but it will be square holes in pegs again and players playing out of the natural posistions again

And who I'm I or anybody else to slag his selection when we have been winning?

Russell 

Henderson 

Elliott 

Watt

Gauld

Henderson 

Hickey 

Dembele

Phillips 

Kane

Hyam

All got great cases for selection though 

And if Karlan Grant names in the selection tommorow will snap your hand off

By Kane, do you mean Chris Kane? If so, even as a Saints fan, I'd say he is no where near international level.

Equally, I don't think Watt is good enough. Phillips I'd say is done at international level. Can never rule it out, but he is in the same Bucket as Jordan Rhodes.

The constant overlooking of Jonny Russell (travel restrictions or not) surprises me. Clearly on fire in MLS and always done a good job for Scotland. Hickey and Gauld for me should be in the squad too. Hickey is playing week in week out in Serie A and doesn't look out of place. You could make an argument on the same basis for Liam Henderson, but in his position, there is too many better players than him. Hickey should benefit from being able to play right or left, but also given we have two top level left backs, we still probably need a 3rd as cover. Gauld I think is a cracking player and would add something different. Maybe not to start, but in games vs the likes of Faroes etc who sit in, he is the type of player to unlock them. 

Time to move on from considering Gallagher, Considine and after this campaign SOD. There is better longer term options ready to go now.

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

By Kane, do you mean Chris Kane? If so, even as a Saints fan, I'd say he is no where near international level.

Equally, I don't think Watt is good enough. Phillips I'd say is done at international level. Can never rule it out, but he is in the same Bucket as Jordan Rhodes.

The constant overlooking of Jonny Russell (travel restrictions or not) surprises me. Clearly on fire in MLS and always done a good job for Scotland. Hickey and Gauld for me should be in the squad too. Hickey is playing week in week out in Serie A and doesn't look out of place. You could make an argument on the same basis for Liam Henderson, but in his position, there is too many better players than him. Hickey should benefit from being able to play right or left, but also given we have two top level left backs, we still probably need a 3rd as cover. Gauld I think is a cracking player and would add something different. Maybe not to start, but in games vs the likes of Faroes etc who sit in, he is the type of player to unlock them. 

Time to move on from considering Gallagher, Considine and after this campaign SOD. There is better longer term options ready to go now.

Todd Kane Coventry City they are flying just now naw don't want any St Johnstone out fielders in the squad they aren't good enough 

Matt Phillips WBA is also at right end off the table allthough they lost to Fulham there for worth conversation on form and was watched by Claire at that game

49 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Todd Kane Coventry City they are flying just now naw don't want any St Johnstone out fielders in the squad they aren't good enough 

Matt Phillips WBA is also at right end off the table allthough they lost to Fulham there for worth conversation on form and was watched by Claire at that game

No way should Todd Kane get in the squad. Guy is 28 and has done very little with his career.

Deffinately Chris Kane should be nowhere near it, but I think there is a couple of St Johnstone players who cannot be far off it. Rooney is solid and getting better all the time. Currently better than SOD, although injured and Liam Gordon is probably the most underrated CD in the league.

50 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Todd Kane, with his six league matches played this season?

There won't be any left-field call ups here.  We have two matches to complete the group and finish in a play off spot.

If there are any additions, it will be from someone already capped, reliable, and playing well (ala Johnny Russell).  He's not going to look at a journey CB at Coventry City for a tricky Eastern European away tie, followed by a home game against one of the best teams in world football.

If Tierney is out, then maybe we'll see Gallagher return, and/or an additional left back since we'll have limited cover there.  Hickey moving up from the u21 squad wouldn't be the most absurd decision.

Beyond that, the call ups for Watt etc. seem wildly off the mark.  He may have screwed the nut now, but SC is not a risk taker, and Watt doesn't seem at all like the type of decision he would make.

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

No way should Todd Kane get in the squad. Guy is 28 and has done very little with his career.

Deffinately Chris Kane should be nowhere near it, but I think there is a couple of St Johnstone players who cannot be far off it. Rooney is solid and getting better all the time. Currently better than SOD, although injured and Liam Gordon is probably the most underrated CD in the league.

Kane is playing in a better league than all off them and there doing really well off coarse he should be considered we haven't many options at right back any near his standard or experience we only got Paterson and Ramsay maybe Hickey cos he cannplay there to or Livamento if we can get him

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Todd Kane, with his six league matches played this season?

There won't be any left-field call ups here.  We have two matches to complete the group and finish in a play off spot.

If there are any additions, it will be from someone already capped, reliable, and playing well (ala Johnny Russell).  He's not going to look at a journey CB at Coventry City for a tricky Eastern European away tie, followed by a home game against one of the best teams in world football.

If Tierney is out, then maybe we'll see Gallagher return, and/or an additional left back since we'll have limited cover there.  Hickey moving up from the u21 squad wouldn't be the most absurd decision.

Beyond that, the call ups for Watt etc. seem wildly off the mark.  He may have screwed the nut now, but SC is not a risk taker, and Watt doesn't seem at all like the type of decision he would make.

How many games has Fraser Armstrong Paterson Gilmour got then and Forrest if he comes back in the team?

If you actually read what I've posted so far I agree with you

My point was there are others that should be in contention oh and Hyam is 25 and having a better season than MacKenna or Gallacher think he has been ever present as well

5 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Kane is playing in a better league than all off them and there doing really well off coarse he should be considered we haven't many options at right back any near his standard or experience we only got Paterson and Ramsay maybe Hickey cos he cannplay there to or Livamento if we can get him

I'm all for calling up form players. Better than those who don't kick a ball, but I cannot see Clarke giving a first cap to a 28 year old in these games. He's extremely risk adverse.

I would imagine guys like Kane at that level must be on Clarkes radar, but he'd need to probably be a regular for a few season there to push his way in to the squad and I think in that time, Hickey, Patterson and Ramsey will all jump ahead of him. 

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm all for calling up form players. Better than those who don't kick a ball, but I cannot see Clarke giving a first cap to a 28 year old in these games. He's extremely risk adverse.

I would imagine guys like Kane at that level must be on Clarkes radar, but he'd need to probably be a regular for a few season there to push his way in to the squad and I think in that time, Hickey, Patterson and Ramsey will all jump ahead of him. 

Was a regular at QPR last season he is hardly a novice at that level,remember that nobody wants SOD in that league it was all paper talk

7 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

How many games has Fraser Armstrong Paterson Gilmour got then and Forrest if he comes back in the team?

If you actually read what I've posted so far I agree with you

My point was there are others that should be in contention oh and Hyam is 25 and having a better season than MacKenna or Gallacher think he has been ever present as well

They are all completely proven at this level, and all play for better teams and at a higher level.  Also, I presume you mean "Patterson" as Paterson hasn't had a call up for a year.

Again, SC isn't going to call up non-capped player who are arguably at the same level as our weakest player.  You're whistling.

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

They are all completely proven at this level, and all play for better teams and at a higher level.  Also, I presume you mean "Patterson" as Paterson hasn't had a call up for a year.

Again, SC isn't going to call up non-capped player who are arguably at the same level as our weakest player.  You're whistling.

I never said he was going to.merely mentioned rightly a wee list off very good players who on form should be in contention,and your losing the plot

6 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Was a regular at QPR last season he is hardly a novice at that level,remember that nobody wants SOD in that league it was all paper talk

Yeah, but I think you'd probably find that very few would think SOD is probably good enough for international level either.

Agree, the championship indicates a decent standard, but equally, you can find some real dross there. I don't want to discount him, but Clarke is more likely to go with what he knows, which is why we have had Taylor, SOD and Brophy all called up recently. Henderson is playing Serie A which is better than championship and he cannot get in squad, so what league someone is in is not always the best indicator. 

I think Clarke should be keeping a close eye on all of the guys in your list. 

Edited by Theyellowbox