Public Services or Going Private

coprolite

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

On point 1, can you explain why you think it doesn't make sense? Because there are not that many hypochondriacs in the world, obviously.

On the third point, there are only two statements in that sentence, not three. Sure, but the second point was split, means testing and only emergency care?

Point 4, correlation doesn't equal causation but you cannot seriously suggest that a sub-optimal approach to healthcare isn't a negative prognostic factor for national life expectancy. The main goal of any health system should be to increase life expectancy and bosses should be measured on this one factor. Really? I would have thought that more healthy years rather than bare life expectancy was the target - but I dont actually know, and I suspect neither do you.

On point 5, on the early pages of this thread there are multiple posters suggesting it is immoral to make use of PMI as it drags resources away from the NHS and increases the queue for others. I will give you that one............

See above.

I am out with 2 medics this evening, one a GP, the other a consultant - I will pass on your plan for the NHS and see what they think.

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

See above.

I am out with 2 medics this evening, one a GP, the other a consultant - I will pass on your plan for the NHS and see what they think.

Well it's clear that something needs to change, given that life expectancy is lagging behind other European countries.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Well it's clear that something needs to change, given that life expectancy is lagging behind other European countries.

Mediterranean diet of mostly vegetables and fresh foods vs Scottish diet of chips and z grade ching probably has a bigger part to play. Also that the weather’s not as condusive for walking to the shop to get said foods, even if the shop wasn’t 4 miles away in a retail park and only let you have one tomato each. 

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Yes, but as I say above life expectancy is not enough of a "target". 

I dont want to live to 100 and spend the last 30 years fucked in a mobility scooter.

FWIW, neither of these doctors are at their most enthusiastic about the NHS right now, but they have the same concerns as many about the "american" system.

Could we bring in a an insurance system like Ireland? Not sure.

Just now, Leith Green said:

Yes, but as I say above life expectancy is not enough of a "target". 

I dont want to live to 100 and spend the last 30 years fucked in a mobility scooter.

FWIW, neither of these doctors are at their most enthusiastic about the NHS right now, but they have the same concerns as many about the "american" system.

Could we bring in a an insurance system like Ireland? Not sure.

Absolutely nobody wants an American system.

We should be more realistic about the NHS, though. Either put up taxes to fund it properly (Politically difficult?), or prioritise what it does and doesn't cover so that those with a genuine need are prioritised over hypochondriacs and those with the means to purchase PMI.

Trying to provide an all-encompassing healthcare system on a shoestring budget leads to genuine cases waiting in a queue for years.

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Thread bump.

Whenever the phrase 'Public Services' is uttered it seems to be framed as being understaffed, underfunded, long delays, waiting lists, I'm sure none of this is earth shattering to you.

I have had a number of experiences with Public Services in the last six months or so that actually paint a very different experience:

Had cause to see my GP. Apart from the ballache of being told nothing available today but phone back in at 08.30 and we'll see what we can do, I did and I won a golden ticket, got seen that following day.

A minor issue had me phoning NHS 111 in the middle of the night. Admittedly I was on the phone for about 2 hours, mostly on hold, while I went through the call handler, a nurse and then a doctor but if I'm going to spend 2 hours in pain, I think I'd rather do that in my bed than in a hospital waiting room. Was then told to get myself to the Out of Hours Service at FVRH, which I did. Seen straightaway, dispatched within 15mins max with some antibiotics and what the doctor described as 'real' painkillers. The follow up to that was a MRI Scan that was carried out within the week.  

Moved house, needed to update my address on my driving Licence. All done online and a new one issued within a week.

Passport nearing expiry and we're off in holiday in 3 months. Passport Office routinely warn of an up-to 12 week wait for a new one to be issued; a bit neat for our holiday. New one arrived in a fortnight.

And earlier in the week one of our neighbours caught some gadgie trying doors in the street on their cctv. Polis were up almost immediately and that they are circling now in such regulairty it seems we have our own private security detail.   

I am an irregular user of Scotrail but whenever I do, the trains are always clean and running to time.

Are our public services and their staff being unfairly maligned or am I just lucky?

I think it really depends a lot on luck and what you need.  We took our son into the Sick Kids a year or so ago because he was, well, sick and we were advised to by 111, we were waiting for hours and hours on an uncomfortable seat, it was not a good experience.  But then again, I understand why as the kids who were seen ahead of us clearly needed it - they had acute injuries where he wasn't as serious.

My dad needed an operation in the middle of Covid and they were really good with him, very clear, very helpful and gave him great care.  Not too long a wait either.  I am on the waiting list for an operation (non-essential etc) but all I get is a letter every so often apologising for the wait.  My wife has just waited over a year for an appointment with a consultant.  We went private with some physio stuff because it's just not worth getting the NHS to do it.