Stenhousemuir -vs- Albion Rovers

This could be a tasty match. Both sides come into this encounter after thumping victories at the weekend and both sets of players should be full of beans. Albion Rovers, of course, are our bogey side and I'm never confident going into our meetings with them but, if we're able to play with the same dig and tempo as we did against Stirling Albion yesterday, we have a decent chance.

I wasn't at the last meeting between the sides but it seemed as though we had a very good spell in the second half, scored twice, failed to kill off the game, and conceded an equaliser at the death. Have we turned the corner? There's only one way to find out!

There is no reason to alter the formation or personnel after Saturday's showing:

- Tam Orr -

- Euan O'Reilly - Adam Brown - Darren Christie -

- Nat Wedderburn - Ross Forbes -

- Ross Lyon - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Mikey Miller -

- Davie Wilson -

I'm very much looking forward to this match. I don't want to get too ahead of myself but I'll be disappointed if we don't take something from it.

The reality is apart from Kelty there are very fine margins in this league. I thought Stenny were one of the best teams to visit Cliftonhill this season with a very impressive 2nd half performance which arguably they should have gone for Rovers’ throat rather than running down the clock with 5 to go. Both sides beginning to get consistency of results of late which makes for an interesting match. Lots to play for as you feel a result for either team sees them looking up the table rather than down although I wouldn’t discount another draw.

If winning four games in a row for the first time since 2013 isn't a sign we have officially turned a corner then I don't know what will.

Looking forward to the game. Two teams playing with a bit of a swagger just now so should be a decent watch.

Fancy us to win by the odd goal in four.

If winning four games in a row for the first time since 2013 isn't a sign we have officially turned a corner then I don't know what will.
Looking forward to the game. Two teams playing with a bit of a swagger just now so should be a decent watch.
Fancy us to win by the odd goal in four.
Going by that logic we have 4 clean sheets in a row for the first time since 2007 haha

All aboard the Play Off Express. Swifty is the driver.

Couple of great subs tonight that gave us that extra edge in the latter stages and both combined for the second goal. 

We weren't spectacular but ground it out and that's a big three points to keep the momentum going. Albion are a hardy, dogged side and Reilly caused us a lot of bother first half but we marshalled him well in the second.

O'Reilly on song again I can't remember a winger showing this much consistency in a Maroon jersey since Paul McMullan and big Nat was a colossus in midfield he ran the show at times on his own.

Great feeling to finally get going and no reason why we can't make it 5 in a row on Saturday.

all-aboard-train.gif

Just now, Vegetableman said:

how is Nicky jamieson doing with you guys  ?

Nicky Jamieson had a bit of a shaky start with us an seemed to be making game-defining mistakes on a regular basis but over the last few weeks, he's been excellent - he's just a big lump, someone who'll header balls all day long, and always seems to be in the right place at the right to get his big dome on the end of it. His distribution can he a bit suspect but who cares when he's just a very good stopper?

Four wins on the trot. Delighted. Always enjoy going to the football. Now I’m enjoying coming home from the football too.

Pretty even first half but felt we were the better team second. As has been said, O’Reilly and Wedderburn were stand outs. Albion were decent especially in the first half and got up quite a bit of momentum but they did fall out of it in the second.

Good times.

8 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Nicky Jamieson had a bit of a shaky start with us an seemed to be making game-defining mistakes on a regular basis but over the last few weeks, he's been excellent - he's just a big lump, someone who'll header balls all day long, and always seems to be in the right place at the right to get his big dome on the end of it. His distribution can he a bit suspect but who cares when he's just a very good stopper?

thanks for the reply, sounds like he has come on a bit then , hopefully he continues to improve .

That was great fun tonight. An absorbing match between two decent sides and that, crucially, Stenhousemuir emerged victorious. It's now four wins on the bounce and every one of them has been thoroughly deserved. Other than a spell midway through the first half, Albion Rovers didn't cause us too much bother, with only the rangy Charlie Reilly a menace during this period and I thought we had the better of the play and the chances, if only slightly.

We started at an incredible tempo, moving the ball around with pace and closing down the opposition in packs whenever we lost it. Euan O'Reilly's goal was very well taken (I thought he'd made the angle too wide to shoot when he took the ball onto his left foot) but after that, was seemed to slacken and allowed the Rovers to take a foothold. Their goal, 15 minutes after ours, came when Mikey Miller seemed to get his footing all wrong and let Reilly breeze past him down the left flank and into the box. It looked as though Reilly as being fouled by Miller as he strode in on goal, and I reckon a penalty would have been given if he hadn't scored. Rovers had a good chance to score when Max Wright connected with a ball across the face of goal but Davie Wilson made a superb save to block with his foot.

The match swung irrevocably in our favour when we made the double substitution before the hour mark, with Ross Lyon and Darren Christie making way for Bernard Coll and Cammy Graham. Lyon wasn't playing well, wasn't offering O'Reilly the support a left-footed player might do and was giving away some daft fouls, while Christie had made no real impression on the game. The change worked immediately, with Coll crossing for Graham to slam home his first league goal of the season (the less said about the Rovers defending here, the better). We put the game beyond any doubt with nine minutes remaining when Cammy Binnie somehow allowed Sean Crighton's header to squirm over the line.

There was a lot to like about today's performance. O'Reilly played well and was a perpetual threat all evening (and some of his defensive work was outstanding too - there was a moment in the first half where he lost the ball then sprinted back 50 yards to toe it away from his opponent inside the box), Nat Wedderburn dominated the middle of the park and Nicky Jamieson, after a wobbly opening, settled into the game and won every header. There are still some issues with this team, particularly in attack where Tam Orr turned in an ineffectual display, and I am pining for the return of Robert Thomson.

Until then, however, you have to say a hearty "fair play!" to Stephen Swift and his team because the last couple of days have been a lot of fun.

55 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Always enjoy going to the football. Now I’m enjoying coming home from the football too.

This is one of the most apt statements about football days and nights I've ever read on here.

I was a bit baffled to see the Warriors had made 5 substitutions, and saw 9 availables listed, especially as the Wee Rovers only chose seven. Yet it appears that is allowed in League Two under SPFL regulations, which I'm sure you guys knew but is an addition to my education.

Really enjoyed that last night and fair fucks to Stephen Swift in turning things around.  Winning the last four and being unbeaten in five gives us a platform to kick on the rest of the season.

It’s already been said but Euan O’Reilly is the type of player anyone would want in their team.  He gives everything to the cause.

Can’t wait for Saturday now.

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This is one of the most apt statements about football days and nights I've ever read on here.

I was a bit baffled to see the Warriors had made 5 substitutions, and saw 9 availables listed, especially as the Wee Rovers only chose seven. Yet it appears that is allowed in League Two under SPFL regulations, which I'm sure you guys knew but is an addition to my education.

Rovers have gone for a smaller squad this season and have 3 players out to injury which might explain us having only 7 on the bench. I wasn’t at the game last night but judging from the comments and the highlights it was Stenny’s strength and depth in squad was the difference with the changes on the hour markbeing the key. The defending and the goalkeeping for the 2nd and 3rd goals are X rated stuff but it’s on to another tough game against Stirling. Well done to Stenny for getting the 3 points and extending their run.