Anthony Ralston

Ralston is 22 and it seems like he has been around forever in my head had him down as being 26 or 27

Good age to start him international career and a good age to continue to improve 

Actually happy he has been called up good at settling them up and chipping in with the odd goal out off nothing 

So let's hope that he continues to get better as a defender if he can do that he has a great chance off having a really good career for club and for country 

Aye, folk are letting this "Patterson isn't good defensively" thing run wild without actually watching the boy play. Patterson is fine defensively  and excellent in an attacking sense. I genuinely don't think Ralston comes close to him in any department, aside from perhaps his stamina. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, folk are letting this "Patterson isn't good defensively" thing run wild without actually watching the boy play. Patterson is fine defensively  and excellent in an attacking sense. I genuinely don't think Ralston comes close to him in any department, aside from perhaps his stamina. 

This is a very valid point. A couple of times I've noticed it with Patterson that he can run out of steam pretty drastically. One of our games I noticed they had to get one of those wee energy gel pouches to him to see him through.

Likely due to the lack of consecutive games but I hope it's not a natural issue he has. Albeit I've never heard of anyone make that observation of him when playing for our youth groups.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think Patterson is quite a naive defender but there is the give and take there because he is a genuinely terrifying prospect for opposing defenders going the other way.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

This is a very valid point. A couple of times I've noticed it with Patterson that he can run out of steam pretty drastically. One of our games I noticed they had to get one of those wee energy gel pouches to him to see him through.

Likely due to the lack of consecutive games but I hope it's not a natural issue he has. Albeit I've never heard of anyone make that observation of him when playing for our youth groups.

Both things that are probably to be expected from a young guy with very little football under his belt. Fortunately they're both aspects of his game that will undoubtedly improve as he gets older and more experienced. We can only hope he gets plenty of club football under his belt this season.

Ralston's not a good defender at all and had a tendency during his loan at St Johnstone to be unbelievably rash. Appreciate he was only about 20 at the time. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn’t having a go at the boy. I just don’t think he is ready for international football. Gilmour looks the part against every level of opposition he’s played against. Young Patterson I’m not so sure is ready yet. Hopefully he’ll develop but I’d play O’Donnell as first choice

Edited by CambieBud

Patterson and Ralston are both young.

Both, particularly the former seem to have something going forwards and both are still young enough that they have time to improve significantly defensively and get even better in the opposition half.

Patterson is of course already looking terrific at times going forward and is much younger with a higher ceiling so it's hard to see how we don't quickly end up with Patterson owning the rightback or wingback shirt and perhaps Ralston edging SOD out over time as his backup.

Given the paucity of options in the position for a long time it's good to see a couple of young Scottish lads in the squad, one of whom in Patterson looks set to be very good indeed and has bags of time on his side.

Ralston doesn't need to be world class as long as he keeps developing, keeps working hard and has the right style of play to slot in to the system for Steve Clark when needed then that's a good thing.