St Johnstone vs Ross County

We've battered County a few times over the past few seasons and not won, so the chances are high that County spend 90 minutes creating and missing chances only to see us score the winner off Shaun Rooneys arse.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've battered County a few times over the past few seasons and not won, so the chances are high that County spend 90 minutes creating and missing chances only to see us score the winner off Shaun Rooneys arse.

We can dream....

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Clark

Rooney Gordon McCart Booth

Viv Craig Davidson MOH

Kane E2

Love to see it, but ain't no back four gonna happen. 

Why the switch in wingers?

Our bench was fairly strong last year because nobody seemed to get injured. Other than defenders, that's not the case now. 

FWIW I had a brief look into it and we effectively play 4-4-2 most matches we play 5-3-2.

RWB plays so high they're a winger with RCB wide and high. Left sided CM pushes up, and then you've got your two strikers.

Our issue this season is the RCB hasn't been moving up, so it's more of a back 5, while Crawford hasn't replaced how high and wide Wotherspoon got.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW I had a brief look into it and we effectively play 4-4-2 most matches we play 5-3-2.

RWB plays so high they're a winger with RCB wide and high. Left sided CM pushes up, and then you've got your two strikers.

Our issue this season is the RCB hasn't been moving up, so it's more of a back 5, while Crawford hasn't replaced how high and wide Wotherspoon got.

Eric Nicolson in the Courier made a very similar point a few weeks back, Rooney playing in a winger position. 

It's a bit predictable though. 

27 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Eric Nicolson in the Courier made a very similar point a few weeks back, Rooney playing in a winger position. 

It's a bit predictable though. 

Yeah I don't think changing to a back 4 would really change anything though, if we have the same players.

I think we'll see E2 and Viv either side of Kane this month. Bryson + Craig or Muzz in behind.

Admire that some posters have attempted to get a real grip on what's gone wrong across threads over the past few weeks but I'd have struggled to know where to start.

I still think with the nature of the table, it's performances that are a true indicator but that creates a worrying situation for Saints. Three points on the board would be but a battle in a war today if the showing is as poor as has been the case since October. Equally, one swallow but it would be a start after what was hopefully a nadir at Dens Park. 

Up until that point, I would have been in the camp that said we can't alter the shape drastically in the short-term given the nature of the fixture schedule but if the manager tries it today, it would at least be something. 

I'll leave it up to him to come up with something but I'll despair if MacPherson is starting the game. He's not good enough and should be shipped back to Paisley in January.

He also has to make a decision on Solomon-Otabor. I understand the risk of starting a player that hasn't played in a while but, where we are, losing 1-0 without him is worse than 2-0 with him. Just try something different. 

And for all our attacking failings, whilst the goals against column looks alright, we are making mistakes. The Livingston game is obvious but both goals at Celtic Park were mistakes, as was the one in the semi-final and the midweek winner comes from not clearing the lines. So there is improvement to be had at both ends of the park. 

I'll optimistically hope today is the start of something better...

Clark

Rooney - Brown - Gordon - McCart - Booth

Bryson - Craig

Middleton - Kane - E2

For me, assuming Rooney/Middleton fit to start, and Davidson is injured as being reported. 

I am willing to die on this hill, get Devine back in the team and it will open the field up. If County are strong on the right then let's have some pace on the left to counter it and try and push them back.

Obv with Davidson it's always safety first, second and third so it will always be Booth because you know what you're going to get from him, but it shuts off the entire left hand side of the pitch for us

8 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I am willing to die on this hill, get Devine back in the team and it will open the field up. If County are strong on the right then let's have some pace on the left to counter it and try and push them back.

Obv with Davidson it's always safety first, second and third so it will always be Booth because you know what you're going to get from him, but it shuts off the entire left hand side of the pitch for us

Yeah I’m not sure about Booth being a terrible option as he’s done well as we’ve all seen. However I think he is one of those who looks like he could do with a wee break out of the starting 11 and we actually have a ready made replacement waiting in the wings.

Didn’t Devine start and play really well in Dingwall earlier in the season as well? Not actually sure if Callum believes in certain players doing well against certain teams but if he is then Devine could start today. 

8 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Yeah I’m not sure about Booth being a terrible option as he’s done well as we’ve all seen. However I think he is one of those who looks like he could do with a wee break out of the starting 11 and we actually have a ready made replacement waiting in the wings.

Didn’t Devine start and play really well in Dingwall earlier in the season as well? Not actually sure if Callum believes in certain players doing well against certain teams but if he is then Devine could start today. 

He certainly won the penalty that we (obviously) missed

Booth thrives when he has someone (decent, e.g. Wotherspoon) to interplay with. Without that, you are left with a wide option that can't get past the opposition right back. 

If we did switch to a four, I think he'd benefit at moment. 

I think Devine is getting better every week he doesn't play...

There's a reason Devine has vanished beyond a couple of, out of position, cameos, I'd guess.

He's not the answer to our problems I wouldn't have thought, and we might even see him leave in January. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a reason Devine has vanished beyond a couple of, out of position, cameos, I'd guess.

He's not the answer to our problems I wouldn't have thought, and we might even see him leave in January. 

It will be interesting to see if he gets any chances before Janaury. CD is far too loyal to the same players, and I'm already fearing a midfield two of Crawford and MacPherson today because he'll back himself to improve them rather than being tough