Best football moments/events/things of the year

Richey Edwards

The absolute, tangible buzz everywhere on the day of Scotland's first game at a tournament for 23 years.

The game itself was a disappointment, but the buzz and excitement was amazing. Let's do it again soon!

Also, Scotland beating Denmark at Hampden was special.

My club have been shite, so at least Scotland gave me things to enjoy.

Getting promoted was of course very enjoyable, and honestly unexpected considering what I am used to with my team (though in hindsight we were easily the best team going into those play-offs). Since then... less positive, but that's what you expect going up a level, and there have still been some enjoyable occasions in the latter half of the year - most of all getting to return to stadiums.

Scotland as well has been thoroughly enjoyable, even despite the disappointment in the Euros themselves. Just a general feeling of positivity that has grown around the Scotland MNT this year, and I doubt there's many who aren't excited for the potential that 2022 could bring.

Honestly, can't really complain too much after how shite 2020 was for myself supporting football, which only had Scotland qualifying for the year (though that was absolutely tremendous too). Here's hoping for more positives in 2022 - good things, not COVID cases of course.

My top five:

1. Scotland 3-2 Israel
  2. Scotland 0-0 England
  3. Scotland 2-0 Denmark
  4. Edinburgh City 0-1 Accies
  5. Scotland 0-2 Czech Republic

As a neutral, Leicester winning the FA Cup and St Johnstone winning the cups were good fun (although St Johnstone's less so because they were both behind closed doors). The spell from March to May where every game with fans felt special was pretty great too. 

Other neutral shout-outs to Villareal winning the Europa League, Messi finally getting his Argentina trophy and Brentford's first game of the season. I'll probably be forgetting some.

Italy beating England on pens in their own stadium takes some beating.
I was relieved more than happy, plus I felt really bad for Rashford and Saka. It would've been much better if Kane and Maguire missed.

The Euros was a good tournament though.

14 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Italy beating England on pens in their own stadium takes some beating.

England losing at home in the most heart-breaking way possible was absolutely tremendous, especially because their media had all but written a superior Italy side off in the build up. Throw in the stadium fiasco with fans desperate to gatecrash their first tournament win for decades, only to see Southgate tactically shit the bed and it was everything you'd hope for in a major final involving England. Felt a bit sorry for Saka and Rashford, but nonetheless the whole thing was extremely funny. 

England losing at home in the most heart-breaking way possible was absolutely tremendous, especially because their media had all but written a superior Italy side off in the build up. Throw in the stadium fiasco with fans desperate to gatecrash their first tournament win for decades, only to see Southgate tactically shit the bed and it was everything you'd hope for in a major final involving England. Felt a bit sorry for Saka and Rashford, but nonetheless the whole thing was extremely funny. 

I remember Hayes and Wright being completely disrespectful and unprofessional beforehand openly saying they’d won it and were talking about the World Cup.

You could’ve bottled and sold their reaction at full time when it cut back to their podium and made millions selling it to people.

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

I remember Hayes and Wright being completely disrespectful and unprofessional beforehand openly saying they’d won it and were talking about the World Cup.

You could’ve bottled and sold their reaction at full time when it cut back to their podium and made millions selling it to people.

Was it Ferdinand who said something along the lines of “it didn’t matter if Italy or Spain went through because neither of them could compete with England” before England had even played Denmark in their semi final?

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

Ian Wright is a genuinely awful pundit, thick as f**k and nothing more than a cheerleader at international tournaments. 

47 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Was it Ferdinand who said something along the lines of “it didn’t matter if Italy or Spain went through because neither of them could compete with England” before England had even played Denmark in their semi final?

I'd forgotten about that. Sumptuous stuff. 

He really was an absolute bellend during the Euros.20211217_132840.jpg