Songs you like even if nobody else does

Fullerene

Shatner's musical output has gone through the initial "Jesus, this is shite" reaction, past the hipster "so bad it's good" phase, and has now entered the stage where people are willing to admit that they actually like his spoken word epics for what they are. It's about time Nimoy had the same treatment; he also did a nice line in dramatic readings, and some perfectly passable versions of (what are now) classic standards of the era.

Would recommend his "Highly Illogical" album to anyone who likes music of the era, a good bit of cheese, and (obviously) Star Trek.

Edit: tremendous shout above for Florence Foster Jenkins. Transcending awful technique to become curiously compelling. Would similarly recommend the (purposeful) comedy duo Jonathan & Darlene Edwards.

Edited by BFTD

One of my favourite albums is Disco Volante by Mr Bungle, but I wasn't much a fan of their self-titled debut, which was a hot mess of universally-panned w**k (half of the lyrics are about onanism). However, this track had me interested enough to keep an ear out for their future releases:

I quite like The Frog Chorus by Paul McCartney, he did a lot worse in the 80s notably his duet with Michael Jackson The Girl Is Mine - the repartee at the end being particularly cringeworthy.

Edited by btb

I quite like The Frog Chorus by Paul McCartney, he did a lot worse in the 80s notably his duet with Michael Jackson The Girl Is Mine - the repartee at the end being particularly cringeworthy.

To be fair that’s a Michael Jackson composition and he did far worse things

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

Shatner's musical output has gone through the initial "Jesus, this is shite" reaction, past the hipster "so bad it's good" phase, and has now entered the stage where people are willing to admit that they actually like his spoken word epics for what they are. It's about time Nimoy had the same treatment; he also did a nice line in dramatic readings, and some perfectly passable versions of (what are now) classic standards of the era.

Would recommend his "Highly Illogical" album to anyone who likes music of the era, a good bit of cheese, and (obviously) Star Trek.

Edit: tremendous shout above for Florence Foster Jenkins. Transcending awful technique to become curiously compelling. Would similarly recommend the (purposeful) comedy duo Jonathan & Darlene Edwards.

I'm a huge fan of Shatner's The Transformed Man. A classic album IMO.

I'm not such a fan of his more recent output though...

On 17/12/2021 at 22:13, BFTD said:

One of my favourite albums is Disco Volante by Mr Bungle, but I wasn't much a fan of their self-titled debut, which was a hot mess of universally-panned w**k (half of the lyrics are about onanism). However, this track had me interested enough to keep an ear out for their future releases:

one of my favourite bands, i loved this album from the 1st listen, i found Disco Volante a difficult listen on release and only just recently ''embraced'' it, now, i don't dislike anything they've released be it studio albums or old demos from their tape trading days that have found their way onto You Tube, and Patton and Bungle have obviously lead me to Tomahawk & Fantomas