God Save The Queen

Lex

These goons and their assorted hangers-on, sycophants and bootlickers are surely on borrowed time once Liz clocks out. She is relatively popular and is undoubtedly the glue holding the whole sordid thing together. Hopefully the republican movement ups it's game, especially with regards to appointing a popular public face to lead the campaign to finally rid us of this anachronistic, forelock tugging noncesence.

14 minutes ago, sophia said:

I have thought very carefully about watching with @Lex but have eschewed that opportunity in favour of Andrew Matt's "New Elizabethans".

However, with barely two minutes elapsed Mr Marr has declared and I quote "during her long reign the queen has presided over a period of unrivalled peace and prosperity"

I think he forgot about the constant fighting, including a civil war, over the whole time and to what end? .... foodbanks.

If only we'd beaten Iceland in any of the cod wars, we'd have enough to eat.

New Elizabethans is quite a good series if you just ignore/skip all the bits about the Queen. She only features about two minutes an episode as I recall.

Did I read right that her biggest achievement is remaining apolitical so no one notices how pointless it all is and she can retain the ludicrously privileged position she hold?

That if she actually publicly tried to influence our democracy she’d be swiftly told to get to f**k by all and sundry and some of the absolute weirdos we’re seeing on the news just now might start asking some relevant questions? 

Happy and glorious indeed. 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Did I read right that her biggest achievement is remaining apolitical so no one notices how pointless it all is and she can retain the ludicrously privileged position she hold?

That if she actually publicly tried to influence our democracy she’d be swiftly told to get to f**k by all and sundry and some of the absolute weirdos we’re seeing on the news just now might start asking some relevant questions? 

Happy and glorious indeed. 

Rather than remaining apolitical, I’d say appearing non-partisan in party political terms is about all that she’s managed - and that only because a thick veil of secrecy is hung over her and her family (note the royal lackey, Attorney General Dominic Grieve, hastily forbidding any scrutiny of Charlie’s “spider letters” because their contents weren’t apparently in the public interest).

It’s an open secret that she’s a Tory (quelle surprise) and was stupidly charmed by that delightful rogue Boris, notwithstanding he revealed her to be a useless puppet. Her party political inaction certainly doesn’t prevent her from vetting all and any legislation which touches her and her various ill-gotten gains.

For all the media hypes her up as the best monarch whom God ever appointed, they seem to overlook the fact that she’s by far and away the most covetous. She was the first to arrange a cosy secret deal to avoid income tax, for example (which only came out in the 90s when the media was encouraged by public outrage at her greed over Windsor Castle to investigate her shady finances).

The woman is an utter fucking gangster.

5CAF247E-0C0A-406A-93CE-BF88684183CD.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

New Elizabethans is quite a good series if you just ignore/skip all the bits about the Queen. She only features about two minutes an episode as I recall.

You're quite right.

I'm settling into it now and it's even got a trans tale that was uplifting but the Ruth Ellis story, not so much, well not for her at least.

4 hours ago, Antlion said:

You might want to look up what irony is, then. It refers to an incongruity between the actual results of a sequence of events and the usual (or expected) results. You can’t just go making up your own definition and applying that to people being angry or visibly opposed to a political situation versus those being angry or visibly opposed to a constitutional one. There is literally no irony in that; folk who laugh at those that get red-faced over something like Brexit or imagined wokeness aren’t somehow unable to find the institution of monarchy and its media saturation ridiculous, nor is it surprising that they would.

The irony is that I know exactly what irony is.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Michael Fagan

Two old dears sitting behind me on a bus.

Terrible carry on that with that man breaking into the Queen's bedroom, says one.

Aye, says the other, Philip must have been at the lavvy.

Re. the hosting of the jubilee party earlier, there are some people who are in love with the Royal Family.

There's a BBC documentary out at the moment about life in a London street during COVID. One gentleman, who IIRC was a single man in his 50s, took his 5 minutes of fame to espouse how much he loved her majesty and that he sends her birthday cards every year without fail.

It's pretty odd behaviour, but in general it's harmless eccentricitiy. If it wasn't her Maj it would be Robbie Williams or writing love songs about cats.

None of this sycophancy should have anything to do with her being Head of State, a ridiculous anarchronism in the modern age. And for those who say it will never change, have a quick look at how many terriroties the Queen 'ruled over' when she was crowned, compared to now. Tick tock.

I also have no doubt that if she was kicked out of office, many sycophants would run a monthly go fund me page to keep her and her family rolling in Swish chalets. Weirdos the lot of them, but sooner that than Scientology (I guess?)

I did say "there may be others"...

She also owns an unrivalled collection of Swans, Dolphins, Whales and Sturgeons.
She doesn’t own Black Swans though, not indigenous to the U.K., they come from Down Under introduced to the U.K. in the late 18th Century. Although still part of the Commonwealth for the time being, she probably doesn’t want to do anything more to piss the Australians off at moment by claiming them as her own. Probably best not given them another reason to remove her as Head of State. It really would be the last straw.

19 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Not sure if this is for here or the Normal Island thread. But I'll put it here.

Whilst the guy featured in the response is well known locally as rather eccentric, the fact is that this newspaper like so many others operates on the basis that the readership can never have too much bad news.  It is also incredibly biased politically.

To be avoided.