Ayr v Arbroath

Don’t get any of the criticism Moffat is getting. Ran himself into the ground as did most of the other players. Wee plucky Ayr playing the league leaders and pull off a shock win. Don’t think we could ask any more of them.

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yup, though I think he was good first half. He linked everything and got us up the park.

In the second, we were ridiculously deep - I don’t think there is a striker in this league (possibly bar Nouble) who could have done anything with the lack of service/support. 

We were deep because he can't take the ball in, first half he had the energy to chase the balls down and sometimes that's as good as taking it in as you defend higher up when it comes back but whole second half he was knackared so while he still worked hard those behind him had to stay deep.  If there were other options on the bench than a young boy making his first ever appearance he would have been off ages before.  

It's why we usually see him late on in games now, he's still got it, it's just that he tires sooner now.  

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

We were deep because he can't take the ball in, first half he had the energy to chase the balls down and sometimes that's as good as taking it in as you defend higher up when it comes back but whole second half he was knackared so while he still worked hard those behind him had to stay deep.  If there were other options on the bench than a young boy making his first ever appearance he would have been off ages before.  

It's why we usually see him late on in games now, he's still got it, it's just that he tires sooner now.  

He did take the ball in the first half, numerous times.

I agree he tired, but I can only think of one or two occasions where he actually received the ball to feet. Bullen mention it in his interview - we largely kicked the ball away all half. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I agree he tired, but I can only think of one or two occasions where he actually received the ball to feet. 

He did, but generally not his game.  None of this is a particular criticism of Moffat.  He's been asked to do a job that you wouldn't pick him for generally and was very good in the first half, the criticism is more how long he was left out there after he was knackared (despite being knackered he was grafting back defending not far outside out box at a couple throw ins).  He worked very hard and played well first half. 

Moffatt needs to regain match sharpness as not been involved too often for one reason or another. He's also got a difficult job to do alongside others whilst the team is imbalanced and short in certain areas. Before writing him off i will wait until the team is in better shape and not sure criticism of anyone is called for after yesterdays result 

We were very thin on the ground yesterday (we were 2 short on the bench) which makes the result all the more impressive. It wasn't pretty and we had to defend deep at times but we saw the game out. 

I'd hope with the right additions we can sustain how we played in the first half more rather than resort to how we were in the second half. 

Genuinely exciting times.

On Moffat, he definitely tired and there may be a correlation between him tiring and us being deeper but the two are not related. 

I also think the system is interesting. Its sort of 4-1-4-1 ; 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on whether we have the ball.

It seems to afford a bit more protection to the defense. Muirhead seemed to be organising things quite well. It's good to see him back, he needs a bit of fitness as he was also tiring towards the end as well. It was some shift.

My issue with criticising our own players is when it’s one sided and the same people quick to dish it out are silent when said player plays well. Some of the abuse McGinty takes from our fans is more personal than it needs to be. People desperate for him to make a mistake just to say they told you so. However he deserves some praise as that’s 2 performances back to back that he’s played well in especially as I expect Joel Nouble will cause a few issues for top flight CB’s over the rest of the season.

In terms of Moff he’s no longer an out and out striker but I thought his first touch was poor at times yesterday but issue was probably more the quality of ball or the pitch. However he did occupy their CB’s well especially first half with closing down and winning headers to relieve pressure. Issue was 2nd half we were happy to defend our box which left him isolated up top when we did win the ball and Bullen mentioned himself we could show more composure in these situations. His performance was about 6/10 which isn't terrible.

44 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Moffatt needs to regain match sharpness as not been involved too often for one reason or another.

"Covid" and "a series of incredibly terrible managers" are not really things he can influence.

He was the first player Bullen praised after the game and he said he worked his arse off. I doubt he's getting left off the team sheet much going forward.

12 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

My issue with criticising our own players is when it’s one sided and the same people quick to dish it out are silent when said player plays well. Some of the abuse McGinty takes from our fans is more personal than it needs to be. People desperate for him to make a mistake just to say they told you so. However he deserves some praise as that’s 2 performances back to back that he’s played well in especially as I expect Joel Nouble will cause a few issues for top flight CB’s over the rest of the season.

I'm up there as McGinty's biggest critic amongst our support and even I accept he played well.

However, he needs to consistently show it now. He had a moment yesterday as well but I don't think its worth dwelling on given his overall performance. I think that's perfectly fair tbqh.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I'm up there as McGinty's biggest critic amongst our support and even I accept he played well.

However, he needs to consistently show it now. He had a moment yesterday as well but I don't think its worth dwelling on given his overall performance. I think that's perfectly fair tbqh.

I’m the exact same. 

He was decent against Raith, however there were a few moments where he did his getting smaller while jumping and losing headers thing. He won basically everything yesterday though, and was largely imperious. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I agree he tired, but I can only think of one or two occasions where he actually received the ball to feet. Bullen mention it in his interview - we largely kicked the ball away all half. 

No wonder he tired , the pitch yesterday was as soft as putty , there was a team on it for a couple of hours prior to game to get it playable, very soft and is bound to take energy out of a mid 30 year old who was asked to close down defenders along with being the main striker 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

the criticism is more how long he was left out there after he was knackared

The post below is the one I was talking about 

He was gash, did nothing, name his positive imputs it's becoming lazy rubbish 'Moff did this Moff did that's he did absolutely nothing today, I watched him at Firhhill earlier in the season and he was abysmal, great player for us in the past but totally gone I'm afraid 

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

The post below is the one I was talking about 

He was gash, did nothing, name his positive imputs it's becoming lazy rubbish 'Moff did this Moff did that's he did absolutely nothing today, I watched him at Firhhill earlier in the season and he was abysmal, great player for us in the past but totally gone I'm afraid 

I think everyone knows the above post is just an incredibly weird one, incapable of using any objectivity. 

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

I don't work for the club so I can be objective

As much as this makes sense, the manager's job is on the line if he makes the wrong call and Bullen is after seeing two managers get their jotters this season already. Ultimately it's far more important if he makes the right decision there than if the punters do,

And fans are in no way objective. Fans wear their hearts on their sleeves. And also tend to watch games after a few drinks.

The highlights reel alone shows how much Moffat brought in the first half at least. He's arguably more important to the team now than he was as a penalty box assassin, even if his days as Shankland's Obi-Wan are gone.

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

He's been a great player for us, but did nothing in the game I'm entitled to my opinion, I don't work for the club so I can be objective, only my opinion though 

Anyone can be objective wither they work at club or not , your opinion is yours just glad that 99% of the replies disagreed with you as did the manager , no issue with that , it’s a forum and not everyone will agree with each other 

Edited by Finlay21