Tsunami in Tonga

ICTChris

An underwater volcanic eruption has seen a tsunami hit Tonga, with other Pacific Islands also potentially at risk.

Here is the eruption as viewed by satellite.

any P&Bers in the Pacific Islands? I know we have a few Australians and Nee Zelanders.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

First bit of this video, guy just stands there and gets fucked by a tidal wave. 

Weird reaction from that guy to see the tsunami coming then put on a life jacket and start punching a tree before trying to square go a tidal wave. 

It all looks pretty awful, I see Japan and the states have put out tsunami warnings as well. 

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

Weird reaction from that guy to see the tsunami coming then put on a life jacket and start punching a tree before trying to square go a tidal wave. 

It all looks pretty awful, I see Japan and the states have put out tsunami warnings as well. 

There are a lot of americans going ‘huh dude its a 90cm swell no one cares’ type stuff. Clearly no idea about the difference between surf and tsunami waves and the force of these swells. 

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

An underwater volcanic eruption has seen a tsunami hit Tonga, with other Pacific Islands also potentially at risk.

Here is the eruption as viewed by satellite.

any P&Bers in the Pacific Islands? I know we have a few Australians and Nee Zelanders.

Jesus, that's terrifying.

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Tsunami has reached New Zealand and as far away as Santa Cruz- California.

Ignore the click bait picture on this that's an old picture from Japan. The tsunami has lost a lot of its height and strength by the time it reached USA not sure what time it reached Santa Cruz. Flooding in areas around San Francisco as well and its moving north up the coast . Live feeds are showing surfers out waiting.

I got married on the beach in Santa Cruz, natural bridges state park. 

Beautiful place

This is absolutely insane to be heard so far away.

The sheer raw power of that eruption is insane and terrifying.

Has to be a good VEI 5 or maybe even 6 like Pinatubo was in 1991.

I recall Krakatoas 1883 eruption was heard at least a couple thousand miles away at least.