No BBC license fee from 2027

Lofarl

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm confused.

Are the BBC left wing leaning or right wing leaning?

I ask because both sides are accusing it of favouring the other.

I like to keep on top of the latest conspiracies. 😆

It's all very Old Firm paranoia this.

There isn't a left wing for the BBC to lean towards anyway.  They generally will go where the government of the day is leaning.  The two biggest parties are centre right so it tells you they reflect the public by doing so. 

19 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Does Shitty Lineker think folk tune in to Match of the Day to watch him?

Bit of a minter. 

Indeed, you can tell he has negotiated it by saying his show is watched by X million therefore he should be paid Y.

Nevermind that nobody watches it because he is on it. It's fair play on his side though, when he first started he was noticeably terrible (seriously look at the clips) whereas now he's a safe pair of hands. Still not as good as a pro like Dan Walker.

On the BBC I am bit conflicted. I watch the service a lot, specificially it's documentary content which is leagues apart from any other service (believe me I have tried to find good docs elsehwere). I watch the occasional drama and HIGNFY (which obviously used to be a lot better). I watch BBC far more than Netflix or Amazon Prime.

That said I have never paid my license fee. This obviously makes me a complete hypocrite but it's very easy to not do it, and I'm not of the mindset to pay voluntary taxes. A former landlord 'discovered' the letters and after insisting I pay it so he avoids a fine (😂) he caved and started paying it himself.  He was a bit of a stupid w****r tbf. Never received any visits.

I have been living outside of the UK for the last few years but use a VPN service, I went for about a year without using iPlayer at all but missed it.

As for the funding model, there's no doubt the organisation could be more efficient (and talent salaries could be cut quite a bit) but there's every reason to be suspicious of this plan involving fuckwit in chief Nadine Dorries and a horrifically corrupt failing government desparate for a distraction.

I would be cutting the Royal Family and Armed forces long before the BBC (let's start with yachts and nuclear weapons). Sadly, that's the opposite of the red meat the Conservatives are voting for.

Shetland is mid tier at best. 
Line of Duty has collapsed in quality since season 3.
Guilt is decent mid tier.
Normal People is excellent but BBC3 and underlines the point.
His Dark Materials is atrocious.
Killing Eve is good but BBC America and BBC3 and underlines the point. 
You Don’t Know Me, I haven’t seen. 

It’s been a very poor 5 years from the BBC.

As I said, horses for courses, ‘Showtrial’, last Autumn was also very good (imho). Maintain the point that there’s still some decent drama to watch on the BBC whether produced in-house or commissioned from independents. Will say that I just don’t watch much of it’s light entertainment which is crammed into ‘prime time’ viewing eg; Michael McIntyre’s ‘The Wheel’ as most of it’s utter shite for me, but that’s not to say other people might enjoy it. I’ve no real sway either way as to whether the BBC continue’s with its existing funding model, I do appreciate not being bombarded with endless adverts though.

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Indeed, you can tell he has negotiated it by saying his show is watched by X million therefore he should be paid Y.

Nevermind that nobody watches it because he is on it. It's fair play on his side though, when he first started he was noticeably terrible (seriously look at the clips) whereas now he's a safe pair of hands. Still not as good as a pro like Dan Walker.

On the BBC I am bit conflicted. I watch the service a lot, specificially it's documentary content which is leagues apart from any other service (believe me I have tried to find good docs elsehwere). I watch the occasional drama and HIGNFY (which obviously used to be a lot better). I watch BBC far more than Netflix or Amazon Prime.

That said I have never paid my license fee. This obviously makes me a complete hypocrite but it's very easy to not do it, and I'm not of the mindset to pay voluntary taxes. A former landlord 'discovered' the letters and after insisting I pay it so he avoids a fine (😂) he caved and started paying it himself.  He was a bit of a stupid w****r tbf. Never received any visits.

I have been living outside of the UK for the last few years but use a VPN service, I went for about a year without using iPlayer at all but missed it.

As for the funding model, there's no doubt the organisation could be more efficient (and talent salaries could be cut quite a bit) but there's every reason to be suspicious of this plan involving fuckwit in chief Nadine Dorries and a horrifically corrupt failing government desparate for a distraction.

I would be cutting the Royal Family and Armed forces long before the BBC (let's start with yachts and nuclear weapons). Sadly, that's the opposite of the red meat the Conservatives are voting for.

While I agree with a fair amount of this, you totally undermine your argument as soon as you praise Dan Walker.

Amazing that the 'why should I be forced to pay for it' lobby still get airtime.

It's a public service. You pay for it to subsidise people who couldn't pay for it otherwise.

It's like saying 'I haven't been to hospital for years, why do I pay for the NHS?'

Also, even if all you watch is Sportscene, Match of the Day, and cup finals etc, it could be argued you're getting pretty good value for money already. That's before radio, online content, tv series etc etc etc.

Scary how successful the right-wing media has been in getting its propaganda out on this one.

Amazing that the 'why should I be forced to pay for it' lobby still get airtime.
It's a public service. You pay for it to subsidise people who couldn't pay for it otherwise.
It's like saying 'I haven't been to hospital for years, why do I pay for the NHS?'
Also, even if all you watch is Sportscene, Match of the Day, and cup finals etc, it could be argued you're getting pretty good value for money already. That's before radio, online content, tv series etc etc etc.
Scary how successful the right-wing media has been in getting its propaganda out on this one.

The NHS is a worthwhile cause.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The NHS is a worthwhile cause.

The BBC is worthwhile to a lot of people.  Granted it isn't an essential service like health but that doesn't mean it should be scrapped.

If it was gone I wouldn't particularly be bothered as a lot of the more mainstream content would find a home elsewhere.  A lot of the less mainstream content would probably be lost (Welsh and Gaelic language stuff and the like) which would bother some.

49 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

From what I’ve read on here, one of the issues people have with the BBC is that, despite those who can pay for it paying, the BBC still go after those who can’t afford to pay for it?

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

From what I’ve read on here, one of the issues people have with the BBC is that, despite those who can pay for it paying, the BBC still go after those who can’t afford to pay for it?

Is that common? I can't think of anyone I know ever telling me they've been chased for it.

I actually didn't pay it for a couple of years after moving house about ten years ago now. Just got lost somewhere and me and the wife realised we weren't paying it. Started paying it, but in the meantime nobody had kicked our door down. Nobody even called.

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Is that common? I can't think of anyone I know ever telling me they've been chased for it.

I actually didn't pay it for a couple of years after moving house about ten years ago now. Just got lost somewhere and me and the wife realised we weren't paying it. Started paying it, but in the meantime nobody had kicked our door down. Nobody even called.

No idea. It used to be fairly common when I was a student back in the late ‘90s. I just ignored the letters. Chances of me or my flat mates answering the door were pretty remote.

46 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The BBC is worthwhile to a lot of people.  Granted it isn't an essential service like health but that doesn't mean it should be scrapped.

If it was gone I wouldn't particularly be bothered as a lot of the more mainstream content would find a home elsewhere.  A lot of the less mainstream content would probably be lost (Welsh and Gaelic language stuff and the like) which would bother some.

It’s not being scrapped, it’s just the funding model that’s being changed. 

If it was paid for out of general taxation, your comparison with the NHS might not fall at the first hurdle.

The landscape now is such that paying for it out of general taxation would only make it worse, not better.

So it will need to be a subscription model and it will need to improve to attract enough subscribers. 

And for those people, I'm sure they'll have no problem paying a subscription if it's reasonably priced.

I received about 3/4 letters not long ago about them wanting me to pay. The last one was them saying they would be in touch to arrange an inspection or some such pish. At that point I went onto their website and told them I don't use their services as I subscribe to other stuff. Haven't heard from them since and genuinely don't know if they would have called round but given how close the letters were and the general tone, I would have been more surprised if they never sent someone.