The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

57 minutes ago, orfc said:

You're right in that this isn't really about transgender rights - it's about dangerous sex offenders exploiting poor legislation which the SNPs bill will make even easier despite being warned what could happen and turning down Tory amendments to address those points because y'know... Evil Tories and all that.

A trans individual having a GRC (or not) makes literally zero difference to them being assessed as to which prison estate they’d go into (or not). The new legislation does not change that.

The Tory amendment that sexual offenders be blanket banned from applying was put forward and if passed. would have likely put the entire bill in breach of the ECHR, meaning if it were challenged the whole act could have been struck down - whether the Tories would have immediately tried to do so, we’ll never know now. Gillian Martin’s amendment to allow Police Scotland to stop sex offenders getting a GRC on individual basis of risk was added to the bill and passed by 121 votes to 0. 

57 minutes ago, orfc said:

The schadenfreude comes from watching the realityphobic blue face brigade try to defend this and then having the rug pulled from under their feet by events and now their dear leader

As for transgender people themselves I've had a couple as colleagues (some of my best friends are black etc) and apart from an initial *urr what's going on here* vibe it never caused any issues, so good luck to them - then again I'm a 6 ft man so I'm never going to feel threatened by them am I.

I imagine any of them watching this nonsense unfold though must feel a bit like Muslims do every time some terror attack happens and it's claimed in their name or touted as typical of their behaviour.

This bit is covered here. 

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I think the biggest issue in this Isla Bryson case is that there are simpletons out there in the wild who are conflating the GRR bill with a prisoner pretending to be a woman (which has happened for years).

On 27/01/2023 at 07:49, 1320Lichtie said:

Isla Bryson really did come along at the right time didn't she.... making Sturgeon look like complete fanny who's all over the place (shock). Why shouldn't she be going to a woman's jail she's a trans woman and trans woman are woman!!!!! 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Disgusting thing to say. 

You seem pretty excited there.

What an absolute danger you are 😂

5 minutes ago, orfc said:

Maybe they realised the difficulties / nuances involved?

yes, that’ll be why they struck it down and have refused 3 invitations - Jack twice and Badenoch once (after having been subbed in by Jack) to discuss why with the Scottish Parliament

A lot of this is about optics and the right wing press have gone into overdrive with misrepresenting what the Act does; bigots have then been happy to work in tandem firing same across social media nineteen to the dozen

FTFY

And of course it's not like the SNP turn 180 on issues is it? An economy based on $113 per barrel of oil at the last indyref to oil is bad m'kay today. Another green-led issue strangely, the tail is wagging the dog. Any nationalists left in the SNP or have they all buggered off to Alba 🙂

When have the SNP turned 180 on this? Or are we now just back into SNPbad territory for the last bit? 

2 minutes ago, orfc said:

Climate change / renewable energy is important. But it's not debatable that the SNP now see the north sea oil / gas as a hindrance rather than an opportunity - https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23241685.snp-consider-speeding-decline-north-sea-oil-gas-sector/

It's not SNP bad - it's SNP extreme. When most major figures who nearly got indy over the line last time - Salmond, Cherry, The Rev 😉 - are now chased out, marginalised or seen as extremist you have to recognise that the extreme viewpoint itself is now the one the SNP holds, held to ransom by their very very dodgy green partners (see the revs latest post - certainly worse accusations there than Salmond was ever accused of).

You may not like the messenger, but you need to learn to distinguish them from the message itself. Though I fear someone who's best comeback is "fixed that for you" isn't capable of that 🙂

Do you live in Bath by any chance?

It's not SNP bad - it's SNP extreme. When most major figures who nearly got indy over the line last time - Salmond, Cherry, The Rev 😉 - are now chased out, marginalised or seen as extremist you have to recognise that the extreme viewpoint itself is now the one the SNP holds, held to ransom by their very very dodgy green partners (see the revs latest post - certainly worse accusations there than Salmond was ever accused of).

If you’d just made this para your first post you could been designated as an absolute mark from the outset and saved everyone time and bandwidth. 

4 minutes ago, orfc said:

I see the messenger/message differentiation advice didn't stick then?

I’d already covered that bit 20 minutes ago

22 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

A lot of this is about optics and the right wing press have gone into overdrive with misrepresenting what the Act does; bigots have then been happy to work in tandem firing same across social media nineteen to the dozen

FTFY

And yes, you took it off topic. 

17 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Reminder that Alba currently have less councilors that political heavyweights the Rubbish Party, British Unionist Party & West Dunbartonshire Communist Party.

It’s always a belter how one-time rising star of the SNP Chris McEleny scooped a bumper 115 votes in the Greenock council elections after defecting to Alba, but yet somehow the SNP are extremists and Alba are the voice of the people. They may have a point with Tasmina; she’s represented so many parties now she’s trying to have a go at being the voice of everyone from unionists to unhingedonists. 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

It’s always a belter how one-time rising star of the SNP Chris McEleny scooped a bumper 115 votes in the Greenock council elections after defecting to Alba, but yet somehow the SNP are extremists and Alba are the voice of the people.

dr-evil-mike-myers.gif

Ps. I'm not Alba, though you seem to have all carried that ball and ran with it nicely. For removal of doubt I am a nationalistphobic supporter of the union and not much fussed about much else. Up the Lib Dems! 🙂 Hopefully you'll allow me to self id on this issue, it would be somewhat hypocritical of you not to allow me to :-)

I think it was just folks having a go at Alba in general mate, certainly in my case it was. You’d announced that you were flouncing off an hour ago, so I don’t think it was directly about you; there’d be no point. 

7 minutes ago, orfc said:

Ps. I'm not Alba, though you seem to have all carried that ball and ran with it nicely. For removal of doubt I am a nationalistphobic supporter of the union and not much fussed about much else. Up the Lib Dems! 🙂 Hopefully you'll allow me to self id on this issue, it would be somewhat hypocritical of you not to allow me to :-)

I don’t think anyone guessed that…

I’m sure that your transphobic stance has nothing to do with your Unionism and trying to kick the SNP, but is centred in just normal bigotry.  

3 hours ago, orfc said:

You're right in that this isn't really about transgender rights - it's about dangerous sex offenders exploiting poor legislation which the SNPs bill will make even easier despite being warned what could happen and turning down Tory amendments to address those points because y'know... Evil Tories and all that.

The schadenfreude comes from watching the realityphobic blue face brigade try to defend this and then having the rug pulled from under their feet by events and now their dear leader

How has it affected things in Ireland, and all the other countries with such gender recognition for that matter?

Presumably you have data to back this stuff up, so be a doll and present it.

On 29/01/2023 at 20:21, Dawson Park Boy said:

Complete shambles.

Sturgeon said it should be left to the SPS to decide.
Burns/Scott was going to a women’s prison.

Now it’s an urgent review.

Guess what’s going to happen now?

It'll be urgently reviewed?

10 minutes ago, orfc said:

Wait till you find out the lib dem policy on self id 

Eventually you'll understand that it's not transphobic to say a proven rapist saying they're a woman is lying through their teeth to get a cushy prison berth. By your reckoning ms Sturgeon is transphobic too

I'll go back to my earlier point: if you think everyone else is an extremist then the odds are that it's actually you 🙂

Total word salad.

Also completely missing the point that people should be accommodated in prison according to risk (which has no impact on their male / female status).

Eventually you'll understand that it's not transphobic to say a proven rapist saying they're a woman is lying through their teeth to get a cushy prison berth.

it isn’t 

By your reckoning ms Sturgeon is transphobic too

nope

I'll go back to my earlier point: if you think everyone else is an extremist then the odds are that it's actually you 🙂

It was you who called folks extremists and specifically pointed out Campbell - who’s an arsehole who says things that other arseholes approve of in order to get money - Cherry - the world’s biggest crybully - and Salmond - who I don’t think anyone thinks about at all anymore.   Nobody else did, although I wouldn’t have much truck with describing the first two as such. 

And the fact that self id doesn't actually bother me, just gobsmacked at the knots it's got the SNP and it's acolytes into with this obviously swinging the lead rapist, I'll be devastated 🙂

Cool. I thought you were going to see us all on other threads. 

ETA - kinda interesting that @Johnny Martin who’d previously only existed to updoot all Durie’s Air Freshener’s posts is now updooting all of yours within minutes of them being posted. 

Edited by carpetmonster