Hibs vs Hearts 2022-02-02: The (Chinese) New Year derby

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I havent watched any highlights yet but if so it makes it all the more amusing tbqhwy.

Robbie must wonder when he is going to bag more than a point at Easter Road. 

I’m pretty sure he won’t give that many fucks, as he’s now almost unassailable in the race for third. 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I havent watched any highlights yet but if so it makes it all the more amusing tbqhwy.

Robbie must wonder when he is going to bag more than a point at Easter Road. 

I can think of two occasions hibs  had the ball in the net & got zip! The 👍 & that big streak o pish I forget his name. Shit happens! 

Enjoyed that, don't really buy into the lack of quality too much but it was certainly more blood and thunder than silky skills.

Think Mitchell looks a good signing, glad Dabrowski had his debut and he looked up to it. His position to lose now surely, especially given that it appears the club means a huge deal to him.

Porto was MOTM for me though, albeit I'm easily impressed by ambrose-esque antics and last night he was peak Efe. 

I was slating the referee throughout the match but on watching the highlights it would appear that we got away with it. Can't hugely complain about our first being ruled out and indeed Hearts should have had at-least one penalty, although I would say the second would be fairly harsh if given. 

Gutted for Campbell that his effort didn't go in. Last night Newell was at the peak of his powers and we were noticeably weaker with him going off and Campbell coming on. Having said that one thing that can't be levelled at Campbell is that he's boring, I think he progresses the game well - if in a slightly risky manner - and I'm more than comfortable with the idea that he'll come good in time. 

Frankly we need some results to start going our way and looking at the fixture list I'm not overly confident at this moment in time that we'll pick up much momentum. At the very least I hope last night's performance takes some pressure off the players and they can start enjoying their football more. 

9 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I’m pretty sure he won’t give that many fucks, as he’s now almost unassailable in the race for third. 🤷‍♂️

Don't get too excited Kyle. The traditional "crashed out of Europe in July" for the third place club (see Hibs, Aberdeen and Motherwell for recent examples)  is somewhat overrated.

Edited by AndyM

6 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Don't get too excited Kyle. The traditional "crashed out of Europe in July" for the third place club (see Hibs, Aberdeen and Motherwell for recent examples)  is somewhat overrated.

Tbf 3rd is guaranteed at least conference league group stage next season provided no-one outside the top 3 wins the cup

7 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Tbf 3rd is guaranteed at least conference league group stage next season provided no-one outside the top 3 wins the cup

If as a league, it gets to the point where three clubs have got consistent access to European money, then it could see investment and hopefully a bit of a positive feedback loop. Coupled with Scottish youth being cheap to buy for continental clubs hoping to flip them back into the English market for Brexit reasons.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Worth 5 million minimum apparantly. 

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

I'm 42 chief, I've been on a great many 'European adventures" (🙄). It's cool, I know what to expect. It's all about the Scottish Cup now. If we win that, or one of the OF do, we are in the group stages of the European Conference League. Will that be better than our games v Bayern, Bayer Leverkausen, Mallorca, Liverpool or Spurs? Probably not. That's just a reflection of where Scottish teams now are in European terms. It would however be comparable to when we made the group stages of the UEFA Cup in the mid 00s, and bring in a decent wee wedge to try and improve the squad for next season.

5 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I'm 42 chief, I've been on a great many 'European adventures" (🙄). It's cool, I know what to expect. It's all about the Scottish Cup now. If we win that, or one of the OF do, we are in the group stages of the European Conference League. Will that be better than our games v Bayern, Bayer Leverkausen, Mallorca, Liverpool or Spurs? Probably not. That's just a reflection of where Scottish teams now are in European terms. It would however be comparable to when we made the group stages of the UEFA Cup in the mid 00s, and bring in a decent wee wedge to try and improve the squad for next season.

The trips in the Conference League could be tremendous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League_group_stage

36 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Impressed by that. Showed class.

I think the entire episode was dealt with sensitively and appropriately - same at your match at the weekend, IIRC?

An absolute tragedy that it came to this for the boy.

I know there is not a simple solution to these issues, but I guess if his death and how it has been publicised helps even one other person to look for help............then it may not have been in vain.

12 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Worth 5 million minimum apparantly. 

£2.5m prize money but then gets trickier to figure out from there as it depends what you are including. TV money, gate receipts for 3 home games and coefficient money could easily add up to £2.5m.

13 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Worth saying that, if it does happen, we'd have a Europa League play-off first, potentially playing a big club. Lose and we'd be in the ECL group stage which did include some big names this season (including Spurs).

6 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Now that the dust has settled, that's not a bad result for Hearts.

No one close has made any ground on us and we're one game closer to finishing third.

It's been a great week. We've come out very nicely from a wee run where Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell all played each other and we had Celtic.

15 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Besides if you take the reductive "Getting to Europe league playoff is pointless because you'll never get to the group stage" approach then everything is pointless because  by that logic getting to the Europa League Group Stages is pointless if you're not getting to the knockout rounds after that and getting to the knockout rounds is pointless unless you get to the later rounds which are pointless unless you get to the final and getting to the final is pointless unless you win it and even if you win it, it's not the Champions League and even if you win the Champions League Real Madrid still have 9 more wins than you.

With that attitude it's hardly worth Kelty Hearts bothering with promotion.

I want Hearts to finish in the top 3 principally for it's own sake.