Do you have a Bundesliga team you follow? Who? Why?

Luddite

MSV Duisburg for me (albeit in the 3rd tier).

As somebody mentioned, they are shite however they have a cracking anthem. Went to see them play Osnabruck back in 2014 when Scotland were playing in Dortmund. Fans were a great laugh although the more hardcore element weren't too keen on a few other Scots who decided to get a Yes flag out. 

Me and some pals have/had a yearly football weekend in Germany, at least until Covid struck - 2-3 games over the course of a weekend, usually involving a fair bit of travelling and a lot of beer. Really looking forward to being able to do it again soon.

A few teams have stood out: Mannheim and Bochum are two examples. But the best of all was Freiburg. A cracking old stadium which they've now sadly moved from, a great supporters club/bar where we spent a good few hours of the evening chatting and drinking with their fans as Bayern Munich lost on TV, much to their amusement, and a city that was both beautiful and fun as a night out. I couldn't;t claim to be a fervent fan or anything, but they're always the first result I check.

I decided to follow one team in each European league recently and my German choice was MSV Duisburg. This is almost certainly because they wear blue and white hoops. But Herr Lipp from League of Gentlemen was from Duisburg and the way he pronounced it was unsettling so that has probably played a part as well. 

On 02/02/2022 at 18:42, Luddite said:

For anyone following Bundesliga teams, who’s your team and why did you pick them? 

Arminia Bielefield - because I used to live in Bielefield when I was a child (my dad was in the army). Bielefeld is a lovely place and some of my best childhood memories are from when we lived there.

I never actually went to a game when we were living there. I'd love to go back there and go to one.

25 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Arminia Bielefield - because I used to live in Bielefield when I was a child (my dad was in the army). Bielefeld is a lovely place and some of my best childhood memories are from when we lived there.

I never actually went to a game when we were living there. I'd love to go back there and go to one.

Such as a shame all those memories are false as Bielefeld doesn't exist

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Have a long standing interest in the football teams of the former DDR so Union the obvious one in the Bundesliga. However, the Regionalliga Nordost is the league for me in Germany. Fourth tier but some really big names from the past. The current battle at the top between BFC Dynamo and Lok Leipzig is vintage DDR Oberliga. Loads of the games are live on YouTube too, BFC v Meuselwitz tonight. 

Werder Bremen, I fell for their football top, for some reason it really appealed to me around the start of Thomas Schaafs reign. It also helped when they had Diego and a young Miroslav Klose in their team! Was a little disappointed when Rangers managed to shithouse a victory against them in 2008.

On 04/02/2022 at 17:40, atfccfc said:

1.FSV Mainz 05.

Family connection, my Uncle met and married a Woman from Mainz. They live there with my cousins. They have season tickets and I've seen them on a few occasions. 

The only German ground that I've been to, albeit their old stadium back in around 2009. I think that they moved a year or two later.

I kept a beady eye on their results for a couple of seasons after that but not for a good few years.

Kirkcaldy is twinned with Ingolstadt, so it should be Ingolstadt FC, but if I was picking a German team it would probably be Bayern Munich due to some sort of footballing Stockholm Syndrome. I get that’s a bit Man United, so I haven’t went down that road. I did buy a Munich beanie heat for the winter. That’s about as far as it goes. I don’t have the energy to actively support multiple teams, so it’s Rovers and Scotland only for now. 

On 02/02/2022 at 20:56, Jambomo said:

I been to see 1860 Munich a few times, when they were at the Allianz. Though they are Bundesliga 3 now. 

I can’t exactly remember how we got into going to see them, I have friends who live in Munich so I think we just went once and I started keeping an eye out for their results. Then started going to their games anytime I went over to visit.

Used to work beside an 1860 fan when I first moved to The Netherlands we bonded over our love of teams that play in blue and white and I've been following them ever since.

Never been to a game, I was in Munich last year but covid restrictions meant I couldn't attend, hopefully when things settle down I'll be able to see them.

They're having a decent season but they're a bit of a basket case club off the field so you never know what's going to happen.

einmal löwe immer löwe😎

FC Augsburg.

Was at Oktoberfest about 8 years ago and wanted to go to a Bundesliga game while I was there. Bayern were at home and sold out so Augsburg was the closest team playing. Fright night game under the lights against Monchengladbach, outstanding game that finished 2-2. 

I went travelling in 2019 too and while I was in Bangkok I befriended some Germans who happened to be Augsburg fans, have kept in touch with them and will hopefully get over to a game with them soon as the pandemic relaxes. 

I have a team in every country.

German league team is St Pauli - reason.  I used to play for a team when I was about 12 called St Pauls and also my brother-in-law gave me a pennant that he got when he played against them with Tottenham Youth.

@German Jag you going to the game on the 20th?

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I have a team in every country.

German league team is St Pauli - reason.  I used to play for a team when I was about 12 called St Pauls and also my brother-in-law gave me a pennant that he got when he played against them with Tottenham Youth.

@German Jag you going to the game on the 20th?

Unfortunately no. Got my dates mixed up as to when tickets went on sale. By the time I tried, away end had sold out!

I keep an eye out for FC Köln and get over at least once a year but over recent years I've been going to a few Kaiserslautern home and away games and developed a bit of a soft spot for them after how far they've fallen and this season they look like they've got a decent chance of getting back to the 2nd tier. Some of their fans have a friendship with Kilmarnock fans from their time playing each other in Europe in the 90s, it's a bit weird seeing a load of Kilmarnock stuff on the walls of one of the fan pubs and a few banners in the terracing.

To be honest I've yet to have a bad experience at any German club including teams where the fans are meant to be either right wing or just have a reputation for being arseholes like BFC Dynamo, Dynamo Dresden or Hansa Rostock.

Edited by Pie Of The Month