Motherwell FC v Celtic FC Sunday 6th Feb.

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I don't mind if we decide to go for a high press but you need to be willing to work all over the park. Jake Carroll was so far behind the game he was cutting about in a Zoom Airlines jersey looking for a one two with Richie Foran. I can handle conceding a goal like the second because fair fucks to Rogic, I'm no sure there's a keeper on earth would save that. But the first & third were absolute dug meat. 

McGinley was actually quite good today I thought. He's just the boo boys favourite. Would start Tierney and American Joe on Wednesday because they achieved more in 45 minutes today than KVV has managed this year. 

Aye, McGinley was probably our best performer today. My main gripe with him has always been his use of the ball when playing left back/wingback but defensively today he was fairly sound and one of the few with pass marks. Big Rogic fùcking loves playing at Fir Park, how many worldies has he scored against us here?, the p***k!!

Agree that Tierney and Efford should start in midweek. Can't put too much pressure or expectation on a young boy who's just stepped up to this level, but Tierney's the one bright spark in the middle who currently looks the most likely to produce a game changing moment. I was also impressed with a few wee passages of play that Efford was involved in when he came on today, and he looks like he could be a useful addition. Bench KVV and give him a go on Wed.

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

He's not wrong tbf. Him & Kelly were about the only two with pass marks. 

Absolutely. There's been no harsher critic of McGinley lately than me, but today he's one of only a few who can be happy with their days work.

Jake Carroll who most, myself included, wanted in in his place previously, turned in an abomination of a performance before being hooked at half time. 

10 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

He's not wrong tbf. Him & Kelly were about the only two with pass marks. 

Tell me anything positive McGinley did this afternoon. I can't think of any contributions he made. he was just there and sometimes he wasn't. Completely abandoned Rogic at the 3rd goal and didn't get near Abada to block the cut back.

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Tell me anything positive McGinley did this afternoon. I can't think of any contributions he made. he was just there and sometimes he wasn't. Completely abandoned Rogic at the 3rd goal and didn't get near Abada to block the cut back.

Some of his covering in the first half was excellent. Bailed us out on a few occasions. The third goal was Carroll hanging about in the Tim Horton's car park meaning McGinley's stuck either going wide or trying to pick up someone in the box. He can't do both and it was a fucking disaster all in. 

McGinley's just the new target for the boo boys.

Just now, well fan for life said:

Some of his covering in the first half was excellent. Bailed us out on a few occasions. The third goal was Carroll hanging about in the Tim Horton's car park meaning McGinley's stuck either going wide or trying to pick up someone in the box. He can't do both and it was a fucking disaster all in. 

Because both him and Carroll are idiots and couldn't organise what they were doing.

So anything positive from Mcginley? a good tackle, a good pass? Even a clearance?

He did NOTHING

Because both him and Carroll are idiots and couldn't organise what they were doing.
So anything positive from Mcginley? a good tackle, a good pass? Even a clearance?
He did NOTHING

I think you’re being pretty harsh on McGinley here. I agree with others that he was one of the few with pass marks. Him, Kelly and Cornelius.
He was hung out to dry by Carroll not having a clue where to position himself but made a good few tackles, blocks and covering runs, especially in the first half.

Just now, dezz said:

I think you’re being pretty harsh on McGinley here. I agree with others that he was one of the few with pass marks. Him, Kelly and Cornelius.
He was hung out to dry by Carroll not having a clue where to position himself but made a good few tackles, blocks and covering runs, especially in the first half.

I am going to continue being harsh until someone can pinpoint anything positive he did today.

You all are saying he got pass marks but why? What did he do to deserve any praise?

McGinley had a number of tackles some he looked second favourite for and came out with the ball.  His distribution is poor, his tackling is good.  Since the turn of the year I have noticed him cover right across the defensive line, in the centre of the penalty box and over in the right back position.

Davie Cooper used to play deeper than Carroll did today.

Edited by ropy

7 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I am going to continue being harsh until someone can pinpoint anything positive he did today.

You all are saying he got pass marks but why? What did he do to deserve any praise?

Don't know what part you're not getting. As @dezz says in his post above, he made some good tackles, blocks and covering runs. You know, stuff defenders are supposed to do.?

You don't need to like the guy, I'm far from his biggest fan, but today, despite Carroll having a shocker in front of him, he defended pretty well in that first half. 

Carroll may have been told to sit high, but there was often a man over down that side, not McGinleys fault.

I’ve not really got the desire (or technical skills) to go back through todays game and pull together a compilation of his positive actions for you, but if you rewatch it then I’m sure you’ll find some.

I also don’t think any of us are necessarily giving him ‘praise’ for his performance today, I just don’t think he deserves called out specifically when there were plenty others worse than him.

6 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Don't know what part you're not getting. As @dezz says in his post above, he made some good tackles, blocks and covering runs. You know, stuff defenders are supposed to do.?

You don't need to like the guy, I'm far from his biggest fan, but today, despite Carroll having a shocker in front of him, he defended pretty well in that first half. 

Carroll may have been told to sit high, but there was often a man over down that side, not McGinleys fault.

Carroll was high but Abada is a foward. I fault Alexander for getting it completely wrong. if he isn't sometimes Mcginley's responsibility as the LCB then what is he doing? We would then have 3 players to cover 1 celtic centre forward.

Playing a proper back 5 would have been a better idea but that wasn't the plan for today. Mcginley and Carroll aren't good enough to work out when each of them should be covering Abada.

Just because Carroll had a poor game doesn't mean McGinley had a good one. They were both rotten.

32 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think in the first half he was probably the most successful of the back three in terms of winning/retaining possession. That's about it.

As fine a game as he had the Carter-Vickers guy is an odd shape.  It was like the aspect ratio had gone awry but I was at the match.  He looks like the local pizza shop owner who plays for the amateurs on a Sunday.  His tackle out wide on Tierney was child abuse.

Fine game though.

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I thought he was one of the better players today, he did plenty. If you watch the first half back he put in some good tackles and his distribution was good.

Edited by Yorky

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Yep, it really does not matter how he plays he’s getting pelters regardless.

As fine a game as he had the Carter-Vickers guy is an odd shape.  It was like the aspect ratio had gone awry but I was at the match.  He looks like the local pizza shop owner who plays for the amateurs on a Sunday.  His tackle out wide on Tierney was child abuse.
Fine game though.

CCV has some ability in not needing to leap to win a header. The guy is calm & composed, reads the game well, can see a pass and would be on my list of first names to get his signature.

The game turned out for us as badly I expected it to.

We were piss poor v Hibs in the last game I was at so it wasn’t a surprise to see us look even worse against a team possibly at the height of their powers. 

11 defeats in a row v Celtic now. Struggling to remember as wretched actin v them in my lifetime. 

Genuine question….How did Livingston, Utd and St Mirren manage to get something off Celtic this season then? How can teams who are our “equals” manage to formulate a game plan yet we continue to look so inept v them?

Edited by Allroy for Prez