Mighty Mo vs The Sons

Thoroughly frustrating afternoon, 3 points would have come in handy given the other results. 1-1 at the break was probably a fair score line in a fairly dull half. 

Montrose started the second much better, some good build up play but no end result. Big Aiden unlucky to see his attempt hit the post. Then Dumbarton decided to stop play at every opportunity by going down and rolling about like they’d just been shot. Took all fluidity out the game and pretty much ruined it as a spectacle. Definite red card, stupid reaction but would have been born out of frustration due to the negative tactics from Dumbarton. Fair play, it got you a point but I couldn’t watch that week in week out.

plus point was Lewis Milne getting 45 minutes of action. Looked good on the ball. Was it a tactical switch at half time or was Lyons injured?

That was a very hard fought point. Delighted with that. It might not have been pretty, but it's a point that could be valuable come May.

Montrose certainly enjoyed far more of the play, but we looked a hell of a lot more defensively solid than we have done for most of this season. Carsy and Paton were excellent snapping into challenges too. Couldn't fault either of them. Josh was a handful, as always, as well, although we missed Ross MacLean buzzing around him. Kieran Wright made a few decent saves and his handling was very solid throughout.

The red card was a stick on red. Bizarre that it caused so much fury.

We'll need to mix up how we play for the upcoming games against the teams around him. But five points from East Fife, Cove and Montrose is a decent return given where we were at the start of January. Something to build on.

Well that was frustrating.  Should’ve been 2 up but for Blair missing a sitter .. lost concentration and allowed Dumbarton to score with what I think was their only attempt on target?  Second half was one way traffic and but for some poor finishing and some decent goalkeeping we couldn’t get the ball in the net.  Hard to grudge Dumbarton the point as they defended for their lives but bloody hell the time wasting was ridiculous.   No complaints about the sending off but I can understand Winker’s frustration at the  Carswell trip. A missed opportunity to close the gap on Cove but at the end of the day no damage done table wise.

Would any of the Montrose fans care to comment on the seethe at the end? Was it just because we had run the clock down and things and the frustration getting the better of you? As I said previously, the ref had a decent game in my opinion.

From our point of view, Wright was pretty frustrating in the time wasting department and no improvement on Ramsbottom. But I feel that some of the "routine" saves he made, Sam would have made a bit of a meal of.

8 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Would any of the Montrose fans care to comment on the seethe at the end? Was it just because we had run the clock down and things and the frustration getting the better of you? As I said previously, the ref had a decent game in my opinion.

From our point of view, Wright was pretty frustrating in the time wasting department and no improvement on Ramsbottom. But I feel that some of the "routine" saves he made, Sam would have made a bit of a meal of.

Think it was simply a reaction to the timewasting and the ref allowing it.  Can’t argue about the sending off. 

10 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Never mind, they’ll have had the Rugby to cheer them up!

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The red card was a stick on red. Bizarre that it caused so much fury.

It caused so much fury as Carswell sliced down Watson as he crossed the half-way line, (provoking the stupid reaction which was a red card) and should have been ordered off as well.

Really, really frustrating afternoon and we had more than enough chances to take all three points against a poor team that had little to offer beyond play-acting, and lungpower. Glad I don't have to watch that every week. Dreadful timewating and simulation of injury from about an hour onwards fully indulged by a dreadful referee.

That said we only have ourselves to blame. We were way on top in terms of possession and time spent in the opponents half, but wasted it. The goal we gave away was one of the poorest I've seen at Links Park for a while, and virtually their only attack in the ninety.

Beyond the first twenty minutes or so we were *far* too slow in the build up and trying to walk the ball into the net. Decision making on the ball was very poor. Yes we hit the post twice but the number of times we chose intricate tippy tappy build up over directness against a clogging defence really was infuriating. It just gave them the time to get organised.

Everyone praises Montrose and we have been on a big high since 2018. This is a really solid group with a very good manager- one of the best in our history. The difference to where we were in 2015 really is extraordinary.

But we are far too content with single goal leads rather than killing teams off, when we are on top, and I wish our forward play had a "direct" setting when playing against an assembly of cloggers no one else wants- like Dumbarton.

Well, just have to put it down to an off-day- we could still be playing now and not have scored the winner.

4 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Would doubt it. London's pretty staunchly red, especially where I am.

It also elected Boris Johnson as mayor, not so long ago had a mass of BNP councillors in Barking/Dagenham, and has a long history of "luminaries" such as Dame Shirley Porter.

One accidental Tory MP in three decades hardly makes our town "Tory". Just showing your ignorance there.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

It caused so much fury as Carswell sliced down Watson as he crossed the half-way line, (provoking the stupid reaction which was a red card) and should have been ordered off as well.
Really, really frustrating afternoon and we had more than enough chances to take all three points against a poor team that had little to offer beyond play-acting, and lungpower. Glad I don't have to watch that every week. Dreadful timewating and simulation of injury from about an hour onwards fully indulged by a dreadful referee.
That said we only have ourselves to blame. We were way on top in terms of possession and time spent in the opponents half, but wasted it. The goal we gave away was one of the poorest I've seen at Links Park for a while, and virtually their only attack in the ninety.
Beyond the first twenty minutes or so we were *far* too slow in the build up and trying to walk the ball into the net. Decision making on the ball was very poor. Yes we hit the post twice but the number of times we chose intricate tippy tappy build up over directness against a clogging defence really was infuriating. It just gave them the time to get organised.
Everyone praises Montrose and we have been on a big high since 2018. This is a really solid group with a very good manager- one of the best in our history. The difference to where we were in 2015 really is extraordinary.
But we are far too content with single goal leads rather than killing teams off, when we are on top, and I wish our forward play had a "direct" setting when playing against an assembly of cloggers no one else wants- like Dumbarton.
Well, just have to put it down to an off-day- we could still be playing now and not have scored the winner.

Do Cove employ you to write their match reports by any chance?

6 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

It also elected Boris Johnson as mayor, not so long ago had a mass of BNP councillors in Barking/Dagenham, and has a long history of "luminaries" such as Dame Shirley Porter.

One accidental Tory MP in three decades hardly makes our town "Tory". Just showing your ignorance there.

😂

Don't get your knickers in a twist, it was just a wee joke. I'm sure Montrose is a lovely place that definitely doesn't have even more Sevco fans than Dumbarton.

23 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

You seem a bit upset?

It also appears you don't understand the laws of the game if you think Carswell deserved anything more than a yellow card.

I genuinely thought the ref had a good game today and I'd love you to point out anything he got very wrong in the match to show me otherwise..?

Worth noting that we don't always play that way and the fact so many of out own fans have commented on how eye bleeding it was to watch should back that up somewhat. We haven't had a great season and we'll take points like that though.

That's 2 points in the last week we wouldn't have got a couple of months ago and twice coming from behind against teams in much better form and higher up the league than ourselves though. Fair play to Faz, despite the horrific viewing it made.

Edited by squeezebox-son

20 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

That makes pretty grim reading for a Sons fan, but it's also the most honest post on this thread - greenie duly awarded.  And some of our supporters really want to remove the blinkers; only one team was intent on winning the game today and the repeated timewasting has become an embarrassment.

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

You seem a bit upset?

It also appears you don't understand the laws of the game if you think Carswell deserved anything more than a yellow card.

I genuinely thought the ref had a good game today and I'd love you to point out anything he got very wrong in the match to show me otherwise..?

Worth noting that we don't always play that way and the fact so many of out own fans have commented on how eye bleeding it was to watch should back that up somewhat. We haven't had a great season and we'll take points like that though.

That's 2 points in th last week we wouldn't have got a couple of months ago and twice coming from behind against teams in much better form and higher up the league than ourselves though. Fair play to Faz, despite the horrific viewing it made.

A think with the foul especially for me if he made an attempt to go for the ball and missed then fair enough but it was just a blatant kick out at the player have seen red giving for that in the past.Both should have walked in my opinion but so so we move on.

Dumbarton to be fair are a dogged team, well drilled when they place us certainly have been the last twice at LP.

On reflection I would say a draw was a fair result, however had we lost that game it would have been karma for the…cheating…tactics we employed to waste time and a consequence of the negativity.

In the first half we mainly sat deep, maybe having 2 or 3 very short spells of pressure. Our goal was actually a great move and it’s a shame we didn’t attempt more of that. Montrose moved the ball efficiently and worked some nice angle to cross especially down the Dumbarton left-hand side. Paddy Boyle was guilty of coming too narrow, leaving space for low crosses in to the box and this is where the Montrose goal came from. The ball in was of a good quality to be fair. I understand Boyle not wanting to let the opponent run into central area’s but at times he was almost so narrow he was standing on Buchanan’s toes.

The second half was probably even more one-sides in terms of possession. Neither team produced any great chances but if a goal was coming it’s looked far more likely to be a Montrose one. Our time-wasting definitely helped to disrupt their rhythm. I heard a lot about how bad our time wasting was there earlier in the season and today saw it for my. I wonder why it appears to have happened twice at the same venue but nowhere as bad on other occasions.

Montrose are clearly a very well gelled team with great cohesion and understanding of each other. They have some quality in defence, midfield and wing-back areas. The thing preventing them from challenging for the title is probably individual quality up front. You could see how efficiently they transitioned forward and to be fair we made it tough for them in the final third but I didn’t feel as though there was anyone with exceptional skill or pace to turn a defender or find space and provide a quality finish.

For us I can understand the defensive approach against a strong team. I just hope as the players gain a better understanding of each other we can link up better going forward and press as s team more often. Quite often 2 or 3 players go to press the ball and if unsuccessful the opponents find s lot of space down the opposite flank if the play out of the press. We need to press more as s team which right now only do in short, unfrequent spells.

Wright looked an upgrade on Ramsbottom but I’m not actually sure he’d have cost us today. Pignateillo, Oyinsan and Bronski probably our best performers.

Orsi and Boyle were particularly bad - Orsi throughout and Boyle in the first half. Orsi I’m afraid isn’t up to this level. He has nothing to scare defenders and his link up play isn’t good/intelligent enough to make up for lack of physicality and technical attributes. We are really reliant on MacLean.

If he’s still out on Tuesday I’d bring Wilson in for Boyle and McKee for Orsi. Playing Duthie next to Oyinsan, which I think could be a good partnership if they receive enough support.