Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

4 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Lots of "mainly pyrotechnics" landing in the surrounding area

That blast wave tho. 😮

Those are too small a diameter to be artillery shells. Perhaps 76mm rounds for IFV’s (or older tank main gun rounds….but even those are 115mm+) or such.

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Those are too small a diameter to be artillery shells. Perhaps 76mm rounds for IFV’s (or older tank main gun rounds….but even those are 115mm+) or such.

Large calibre projectiles might be more apt based on those 2 pics.

Semantics aside, It definitely isn't only fireworks.

42 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Large calibre projectiles might be more apt based on those 2 pics.

Semantics aside, It definitely isn't only fireworks.

Nah, too narrow on the long axis. The artillery right now is 155mm and 203mm, or 6.1 and 8 inch. Those looked more like 3-4” (roughly 76-105mm) rounds more commonly in use by IFV’s like the BMP series.

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.a043fa026860fb7317ad3c714535e531.jpeg

This is a 155mm, notice how much wider it flares than the shells seen in those pictures, and how much larger overall.

IMG_0577.jpeg.3867710634dc56514dbed4b74c8d158f.jpeg

The green end is the 76mm shell here, and if you take away the brass case, that’s very close to the shell bodies pictured. Notice no wide shoulder on this shell either.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Nah, too narrow on the long axis. The artillery right now is 155mm and 203mm, or 6.1 and 8 inch. Those looked more like 3-4” (roughly 76-105mm) rounds more commonly in use by IFV’s like the BMP series.

IMG_0576.thumb.jpeg.a043fa026860fb7317ad3c714535e531.jpeg

This is a 155mm, notice how much wider it flares than the shells seen in those pictures, and how much larger overall.

IMG_0577.jpeg.3867710634dc56514dbed4b74c8d158f.jpeg

The green end is the 76mm shell here, and if you take away the brass case, that’s very close to the shell bodies pictured. Notice no wide shoulder on this shell either.

I agreed with your Intial reply re the use of "artillery" probably not being the best description based on those 2 pics.

If it came across as me saying you were wrong about what they actually are apologies, I wasn't implying that at all or giving an opinion on what they are.

I could argue the toss that 76-105mm HE rounds from a BMP3/ whatever used as indirect fire are and or can be seen as "artillery" if that's what you are after but I wouldn't want or care to tbh. 

I guess it would boil down to what you view as "large calibre" with regards to what is and isn't artillery.

I just thought it was a cool dash cam vid tbh mate.

5 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I agreed with your Intial reply re the use of "artillery" probably not being the best description based on those 2 pics.

If it came across as me saying you were wrong about what they actually are apologies, I wasn't implying that at all or giving an opinion on what they are.

I could argue the toss that 76-105mm HE rounds from a BMP3/ whatever used as indirect fire are and or can be seen as "artillery" if that's what you are after but I wouldn't want or care to tbh. 

I guess it would boil down to what you view as "large calibre" with regards to what is and isn't artillery.

I just thought it was a cool dash cam vid tbh mate.

Sorry, not to be seen as arguing...as the dash video shows, any incoming fire is a) big b) has the right of way!

I was just surprised at the distance those shell bodies got tossed in the explosion..."pyrotechnics" indeed!

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What's happening on the currency markets may turn out to be as important as events on the battlefield:

Abandonment of budgetary rules to prop up the rouble is certainly not a great look.

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Sorry, not to be seen as arguing...as the dash video shows, any incoming fire is a) big b) has the right of way!

I was just surprised at the distance those shell bodies got tossed in the explosion..."pyrotechnics" indeed!

Unable to access it,alas

One thing I’ve seen a couple examples of is various idiot conspiracists posting footage of beaches or nightclubs and saying “this is how Ukraine spends Bidens billions!”.

In almost every case the footage turns out to be from somewhere else or pre war. This is a good example.

https://x.com/anyamrch/status/1690656972612239360?s=46&t=VI9PBOGiArQ8qgQBk99O4w

Strange stuff.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One thing I’ve seen a couple examples of is various idiot conspiracists posting footage of beaches or nightclubs and saying “this is how Ukraine spends Bidens billions!”.

In almost every case the footage turns out to be from somewhere else or pre war. This is a good example.

https://x.com/anyamrch/status/1690656972612239360?s=46&t=VI9PBOGiArQ8qgQBk99O4w

Strange stuff.

Not strange at all though.  Propaganda, which both sides will be using.

A big chunk of that will be Russia-generated but more of it than we might first think comes from independent US actors. There was a BBC report fairly recently looking at the dissemination of pro-Russia lies on social media accounts. One of the biggest sources was a pair of idiots in Los Angeles who had no connection with the Russian state.

Edit: It was this I was thinking of: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66113460

Edited by FreedomFarter

The sheer number of MAGA twits parroting Putin’s lines about Ukraine is mind blowing.

Question: What about Ukraine?

Answer: Russia invaded to get the Nazis out of power. They had taken over the first two provinces because there were no Nazis there, but then they had to invade the rest of Ukraine to clear out the Nazis.

Question: So who started the war in Ukraine?

Answer: The West, NATO and the U.S.

Question: But you said Russia invaded Ukraine?

Answer: Yes, Russia invaded Ukraine, but the West started the war. It was those secret labs.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

The sheer number of MAGA twits parroting Putin’s lines about Ukraine is mind blowing.

Answer: Russia invaded to get the Nazis out of power. They had taken over the first two provinces because there were no Nazis there, but then they had to invade the rest of Ukraine to clear out the Nazis.

Answer: Yes, Russia invaded Ukraine, but the West started the war. It was those secret labs.

This whole war proves the "horseshoe theory" once again. It's the far-left and far-right that are parroting Putin's propaganda.

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Exactly the same as the Afghans' involvement in 9/11 - all in some powerful American's imagination.

Funny that the "freedom-loving patriot" / MAGA types are actively trying to paint America as the bad guys.

18 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Exactly the same as the Afghans' involvement in 9/11 - all in some powerful American's imagination.

Funny that the "freedom-loving patriot" / MAGA types are actively trying to paint America as the bad guys.

24 minutes ago, Marten said:

This whole war proves the "horseshoe theory" once again. It's the far-left and far-right that are parroting Putin's propaganda.

Even more fun was they continued and asked:

Question: You don’t trust the COVID vaccine, or any vaccine?

Answer: No, it’s Democrat mind control.

Question: But Trump pushed through the creation of the vaccine?

Answer: Yes, but I still don’t trust those Democrats and Fauci. They want our children, you know!