Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

15 hours ago, Dev said:

...The Ural Mountains are considered the separation boundary for the two continents....

The Urals can be a bit of a disappointment when you see them up close. Was at a monument related to the supposed divide between the two continents close to Yekaterinburg a few years back, before Vlad totally flipped his lid and it's a bit like trying to use the Sidlaw hills between Dundee and Forfar as a major geographical divide.

Not everybody sees Asia and Europe as being separate continents:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

16 hours ago, virginton said:

I'm afraid I was dealing with serious points of view as opposed hysterical nonsense that you're dreaming up about 'strategic' islands in the middle of a fucking river being the harbinger of a Chinese reconquista.

So long as the US wishes to fight Cold War 2 against China then the Moscow-Beijing axis is as solid and entirely self-evident as you could possibly expect in international relations. Thucydides could have predicted that; but the biggest village idiot in Texas thinks otherwise. 🤡

I’m sorry that you feel that State actions challenging lines on a map are inconsequential, maybe you should address the Ireland/Northern Ireland border issue for us, since changing a line isn’t a big deal.

5 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Love it when @Dev comes along with his monthly post about the break up of Russia only to disappear again. 

4 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Gunther Fehlinger's alias imo.

FWIW. I am interested in the bigger picture generally. I have been around long enough to know that things change, sometimes unexpectedly (to most) and with hard to foresee consequences. This could be one of those periods.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Man decides to drive from Sevastopol to Luhansk, both currently occupied by Russia. Sat Nav sends him via Avdiivka, currently the front line. Man is hit by shell, dies. 

https://www.pravda.ru/news/accidents/1898807-zhitel_sevastopolja/

Misleading, as the guy took a wrong turn and the navigation updated the route to the more dangerous highway. Also, since he was driving a Chevrolet Aveo, he deserved it.

Disclaimer: I want Ukraine to win and restored to its pre 2014 borders.

That said, according to Ukraine flag Twitter the Russians have been throwing conscripted 16 year old infantry armed with spades at the Ukranians since about June 2022, so no one should be surprised at any copium they pump out to deflect from the fact their 18 month old predictions of Russias imminent collapse have come to nothing.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Been seeing this in a few places:

Not sure I believe the Russians are now using lorries from the 1930s.

Those are quite high numbers. I mean it really seems a lot of vehicles for only 13 days. How can that be sustained.

Or is it probably o load of shite?

The visually confirmed Russian losses in Avdiivka are very significant.  Between October 10th and 20th they lost over 100 vehicles.

The Russians seem likely to keep coming at Avdiivka though.  The city is heavily fortified, having been on the front line since 2014

Probably a bunch of copium but what do we reckon on the reports of Putin's health, there was the Heart Attack story over the weekend and now there's the rumour over Telegram and Twitter that's he kicked the bucket.

Most likely just the usual rumours - mind we had to put up with with the Queen for the past 10 years until it eventually happened.

What do the Russia watchers on here think?

Edited by Ray Patterson

There was a Japanese TV show that used various AI algorithms to compare gait, speech, facial features, hand gestures etc that reckoned he had at least 2 doubles so it's not outwith the realms. Having a double controlled by a war hawk double behind the scenes is probably more scary than the real Vlad still being in charge though?