Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Just now, Bairnardo said:
13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
If you could sort me out with some cheap Wyborowa that would be good.

If you need the laber to say Wyborova in order to hand over your 30 quid that's no fucking problem at all my man.

Boring story alert:

About 7 or 8 years ago I went to a product showcase from a company selling analytical equipment. There were loads of people from Diageo there and I got chatting to them. Their interest was in using tools like FT-IR, Raman, NIR and the like to analyse inks. I thought they would have wanted to analyse the alcohol but no - what these guys did for a living was find fakes. Black market goods being passed off as theirs, and the labels were so good that you couldn't visually tell the difference. So they have a lab for that.

If you liked this story, I might (probably when pished) tell you about the time I found out about Barr's use of radiation in their Irn Bru bottles. 

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's not disapproval.

It's just correcting your error

I'm sure we can all sleep safe in our beds, knowing that you are keeping a close check on every passing thought that folk might have, for however short a time they hold it and no matter how soon they dismiss it. 

You must be knackered. 

From Guardian :-

The Ukrainian city of Mariupol has no water, heat or electricity and is running out of food after coming under attack by Russian forces for the past five days, its mayor said in a televised appeal.

Vadym Boychenko, mayor of Mariupol, said called for a humanitarian corridor to evacuate civilians from the southeastern port city.

"We are simply being destroyed."

This Russian vodka stuff sounds ridiculous but I think it makes sense when viewed as part of the bigger picture. Targeting any Russian produced product, no matter how small, will have an accumulative affect on the Russian economy. No one wants the poor Russian man and woman in the street to suffer for that wee bams actions but, personally the only way I can see this ending, even a tiny bit amicably, is for Putin and his regime to be taken out internally.

Even if there’s only a small chance of it happening, the more the general Russian public suffer, the more likely there is to be mass protests or, hopefully, some kind of revolution and lasting change to their political setup.

Edited by Tattie36

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Russia now on its knees.... 

From the BBC story on vodka - 

"The John Lewis Partnership said that it would also remove a line of Russian-made pizza oven pellets from sale in its department stores.

Game over. 

Bairnardo will be devastatit............

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Russia now on its knees.... 

From the BBC story on vodka - 

"The John Lewis Partnership said that it would also remove a line of Russian-made pizza oven pellets from sale in its department stores.

Game over. 

Pray for @Bairnardo P&Bs pizza oven king.

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

This Russian vodka stuff sounds ridiculous but I think it makes sense when viewed as part of the bigger picture. Targeting any Russian produced product, no matter how small, will have an accumulative affect on the Russian economy. No one wants the poor Russian man and woman in the street to suffer for that wee bams actions but, personally the only way I can see this ending, even a tiny bit amicably, is for Putin and his regime to be taken out internally.

Even if there’s only a small chance of it happening, the more the general Russian public suffer, the more likely there is to be mass protests or, hopefully, some kind of revolution and lasting change to their political setup.

Trouble is that with the total clampdown in the media earlier today, Putin might be as likely to have thousands of folk rallying to his defence as he would be to open his curtains and see burning torches and pitchforks.

Still, here's hoping. 

Good to see the only voice of reason in the room shamelessly copying the same, fact-based analysis of the situation from yours truly:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/04/what-would-ukraine-russia-peace-deal-look-like

Fri 4 Mar 2022 11.20 GMT

The option of neutrality for Ukraine has often been called “Finlandisation”, and perhaps the determined and unified Ukrainian response to Russian aggression over the past week has given a new meaning to that term in the case of Ukraine. For like the Finns in the “winter war” of 1939-40, the Ukrainians have also been abandoned militarily by the West, which has declared publicly and repeatedly that it has no intention of fighting to defend them.

On the other hand, it seems that the extraordinary courage and resolution with which the Finns fought convinced Stalin that to rule Finland would be too much of a challenge. Finland became the only part of the former Russian Empire not to be incorporated in the USSR, and during the cold war, though neutral by treaty, was able to develop as a successful social market democracy. Similarly, we must hope that the courage and determination of the Ukrainians has convinced Putin that it will be impossible to run Ukraine as a Russian client state, and neutrality is the best deal he is going to get.

President Volodymyr Zelensky has publicly hinted that a treaty of neutrality may be on offer; and he is right to do so. For two things have been made absolutely clear by this war: that Russia will fight to prevent Ukraine becoming a military ally of the West, and the West will not fight to defend Ukraine. In view of this, to keep open the possibility of an offer of Nato membership that Nato has no intention of ever honouring, and asking Ukrainians to die for this fiction, is worse than hypocritical.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/04/putin-wants-to-kill-us-totally-ukrainians-hold-firm-under-bombardment

"Ten days ago Kharkiv was a flourishing metropolis and home to 1.5 million people. It was, as one resident, Galina Padalko, put it, “a beautiful place”. There were parks, a new German architect-designed zoo, thriving cafes and restaurants, and a monumental central square, once adorned with a statue of Lenin. The city had several universities, international students, a ballet theatre and a cathedral that had withstood the last century’s darkest moments.

In a few savage days Kharkiv has been transformed into a living hell. Many of the city’s inhabitants are currently sheltering underground in basements, metro stations, and ground-floor corridors. Russian forces have relentlessly bombarded the city this week, pulverising apartment blocks and other civilian targets and threatening to turn Kharkiv into a new Aleppo, which also faced Russian bombing, or Guernica. It has borne the brunt of Vladimir Putin’s rage."

"The ferocious attack is being carried out with deadly weapons: BM-30 Smerch heavy multiple rocket launchers and, increasingly, bomber planes. On Sunday Russian light armoured vehicles made an unsuccessful attempt to enter and to grab the city. Now Putin appears to have decided to flatten it instead. The message seems demonstrative. It is directed at the defiant government of Ukraine’s pro-western president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy: you and Kyiv are next."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That wasn't boring at all.

More please.

It's this or work, so OK.

I went on a radiation protection supervisor training course years ago. It was a great course - in Glasgow, with a trip to the carvery in Paisley every day for lunch. Must have put on a stone that week. For me, I work with X-rays so needed the training. I got chatting to the others there and a few you would expect (Babcock, for the power plants, universities and so on)...and 3 guys from Barr's. 

They use radiation to check if a bottle has been correctly filled with juice. Let me explain - imagine your smoke alarm. You have a very small radiation source and a sensor near it. All day, every day, the source produces radiation and the sensor detects it. When that is interrupted (say, because smoke blocks the radiation) then the smoke alarm goes off.

Barr's used a similar idea. They fill and produce so many juice bottles that they cannot visually inspect every one to make sure it has the right amount of juice in it.  What they do instead is have each filled bottle of juice pass through a system set up like the smoke alarm. A radiation source on one side, a detector on the other. If the bottle has been filled correctly, then the radiation will not reach the sensor. The water in the juice catches the radiation instead. That bottle then travels on the "good" line. If a bottle is, say, half filled (the sensor is near the top of the bottle) then the radiation passes through and the sensor receives it. That bottle would then go on to the "bad" line and be rejected. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Good to see the only voice of reason in the room shamelessly copying the same, fact-based analysis of the situation from yours truly:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/04/what-would-ukraine-russia-peace-deal-look-like

Please say you're not genuinely saying that you alone have come up with the parallels between this and the Finnish war? 

I saw a better informed thread on Twitter days ago.

Beside the Guardian can't have copied you, there isn't any Ainsley memes in the article ;)

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The vodka thing is fine.

The renaming of Chicken Kievs is pathetic.

Well, I can certainly agree with you on that.

It’s all indicative of our society at the moment though isn’t it. Virtue signalling and cancel culture. I’ve got a couple of Russian wrist watches, I wonder how long it’ll be before I’m refused service in a pub if I’m wearing one? I’m joking of course but it wouldn’t surprise me if it got to that.

Still not as annoying as the guff all over Facebook - a work colleague of my wife’s proudly stated that she sent £100 to Zelenskyy and her 10 year old son has “insisted” that £10 a month of his pocket money goes to the poor Ukrainian people.

Edited by Tattie36

What does neutrality mean in this case though?  Just no to NATO?  No missile capabilities in Ukraine? No weapons that could potentially attack Russia?  What about EU membership for Ukraine?  What if Ukraine wanted to become a partner country to NATO like Australia or New Zealand? 

55 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Honesty, where does our country get idiots like this from? 🤣

Sainsbury's said it would also change the name of chicken Kiev to "chicken Kyiv" to match the Ukrainian spelling of the capital.

It's a great example of "doing something" syndrome