Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

26 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

You think they should have headlined with BAFTA awards?

"Well everybody there looks happy with their awards.  Meanwhile, in other news, things are happening in Ukraine."

It's quarter-final weekend, they should have headlined the The Big Cup.

As a serious point, I frequently find myself wondering how I feel about the news. I'm pretty politically engaged. I'm a member of a political party, I go on marches, I donate to several NGOs as a standing order. I'm not a news-ignorant or issue-ignorant person in general.

But I do find myself questioning how much of the news we give up to things that the average guy in the street cannot control and about which much of the news we hear is actually rumour, exaggeration, nuanced propaganda, or outright untruth.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this and I'm not articulating my point well at all. Long and short, the war should be the big news, but we're only here once and people should still enjoy and be interested in the Scottish Cup and the BAFTAs. Well, maybe not the BAFTAs.

30 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

You think they should have headlined with BAFTA awards?

"Well everybody there looks happy with their awards.  Meanwhile, in other news, things are happening in Ukraine."

Pleased to see Cruella get recognition for best costumes and a bit of live for Summer of Soul.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's quarter-final weekend, they should have headlined the The Big Cup.

As a serious point, I frequently find myself wondering how I feel about the news. I'm pretty politically engaged. I'm a member of a political party, I go on marches, I donate to several NGOs as a standing order. I'm not a news-ignorant or issue-ignorant person in general.

But I do find myself questioning how much of the news we give up to things that the average guy in the street cannot control and about which much of the news we hear is actually rumour, exaggeration, nuanced propaganda, or outright untruth.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this and I'm not articulating my point well at all. Long and short, the war should be the big news, but we're only here once and people should still enjoy and be interested in the Scottish Cup and the BAFTAs. Well, maybe not the BAFTAs.

Obviously the news is often a mixture of serious stuff and not so serious.  For me, one of the strangest was this famous page from the Buffalo Evening News in 1901.

There is a nice little story of a young boy selling newspapers at the train station in Buffalo, New York.  When the US President comes along and tries to buy a paper, the boy refuses to accept any money from President McKinley.  Perfectly fine feel good story, most of the time, but I not sure they should have kept it on the front page, considering what the headline was.

Buffalo McKinley Short.jpg

S#it got real... the luvvies are rebelling against the Russian invasion.  From The National about last night's BAFTAs - 

"

Serkis was not the only one to mention the ongoing conflict during the award ceremony with host Rebel Wilson taking a swipe at the Russian president Vladimir Putin.

As she introduced the performance by Coda star Emilia Jones to Joni Mitchell’s ballad Both Sides Now, Wilson explained that the actress would be accompanied by two sign language interpreters who signed the song in both British Sign Language and American Sign Language.

She added that “luckily though in all sign languages, this is the gesture for Putin” as she gave the middle finger to the Russian leader.

Typical Met, spunking loads of resource into getting folk out a house that would otherwise be empty.

Is there not more serious crimes going on than breaking and entering that needs this kind of response.

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

Typical Met, spunking loads of resource into getting folk out a house that would otherwise be empty.

Is there not more serious crimes going on than breaking and entering that needs this kind of response.

The irony of him shouting "get a real fucking job".  Hopefully what he got was a truncheon to the face.  Not for squatting but for his attention seeking nonsense.

9 minutes ago, strichener said:

The irony of him shouting "get a real fucking job".  Hopefully what he got was a truncheon to the face.  Not for squatting but for his attention seeking nonsense.

you advocate a truncheon to the face for verbal abuse........I wouldnt think there was need for such state violence to remove squaters

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Obviously the news is often a mixture of serious stuff and not so serious.  For me, one of the strangest was this famous page from the Buffalo Evening News in 1901.

There is a nice little story of a young boy selling newspapers at the train station in Buffalo, New York.  When the US President comes along and tries to buy a paper, the boy refuses to accept any money from President McKinley.  Perfectly fine feel good story, most of the time, but I not sure they should have kept it on the front page, considering what the headline was.

Buffalo McKinley Short.jpg

Free paper then shot?

Tin foil hatters should be all over that.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

S#it got real... the luvvies are rebelling against the Russian invasion.  From The National about last night's BAFTAs - 

"

Serkis was not the only one to mention the ongoing conflict during the award ceremony with host Rebel Wilson taking a swipe at the Russian president Vladimir Putin.

As she introduced the performance by Coda star Emilia Jones to Joni Mitchell’s ballad Both Sides Now, Wilson explained that the actress would be accompanied by two sign language interpreters who signed the song in both British Sign Language and American Sign Language.

She added that “luckily though in all sign languages, this is the gesture for Putin” as she gave the middle finger to the Russian leader.

'Spect he's been sulking all day after that.

I barely recognised Rebel Wilson at first. At the risk of being declared sexist and asked to fetch my coat,

she seems to have shed a lot weight, about 3 (s)ton , I'd say.

Either that or she has some exceptionally fine corsets. 

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Elon Musk, one of the richest men in the world absolutely desperate for adulation from 15 year old edgelords on Twitter.

His bird leaving him for Chelsea Manning's tipped him over the edge.