Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Taking the Chelsea Manning news well I see. It is very hard to decide who gives off more divorced energy between him and Fox.
Musk would be one of the most richly deserved cancellings that cancel culture could give us.

Internet, get it done.

Reports that China are willing to provide military assistance to Russia.  Unsure what form this could take - most of the weapons systems used by the Russians aren't used by the Chinese.  The only concrete proposal I've seen is some transport planes but Russia aren't going to be running low on transport planes.  Could be backfill for parts, repairs etc.

BBC1 Panorama tonight, in a few minutes, at 20.00 hours.   

Reveal of documents that show Roman Abramovitch's  corrupt acquisition of Russian oil company.

Criminal cartel of low-bidders in government auction of oil company Sibneft.

Abramovich paid around $250m (£190m) for Sibneft, then sold to back to the Russian government for $13bn in 2005.

Edited by beefybake

46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Russian News tonight

Brave girl will know she's going to the pokey. 

While I remember there's historically fault on both sides this war is a child of one man's warped take on reality.

Nobody should be able to look at the cost to innocent people and continue with this madness.

Hopeful that they're talking tomorrow again but this is the 5th round with little progress. 

Stop the violence Vlad. Cease fire be a  great start. 

11 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Reveal of documents that show Roman Abramovitch's  corrupt acquisition of Russian oil company.

Abramovich paid around $250m (£190m) for Sibneft, then sold to back to the Russian government for $13bn in 2005.

Looking forward to their exposé next week about the chief religious practices of Vatican City.

You do not become a billionaire oligarch in the first place by buying at a top of the market price: Russia in the 1990s was the simply unrestrained, Wild East of capitalism, and everyone in government and journalism was aware of that wider reality when Abramovich rocked up and bought Chelsea. 

The faux concern act now for the diddled babushkas of Omsk is just risible. 

Edited by vikingTON

12 minutes ago, beefybake said:

He had to sell or he would have fell out a window.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Looking forward to their exposé next week about the chief religious practices of Vatican City.

You do not become a billionaire oligarch in the first place by buying at a top of the market price: Russia in the 1990s was the simply unrestrained, Wild East of capitalism, and everyone in government and journalism was aware of that wider reality when Abramovich rocked up and bought Chelsea. 

The faux concern act now for the diddled babushkas of Omsk is just risible. 

Fair enough.   The next question is fairly obviously who in the various UK media outlets, inc BBC, stopped programmes like this being broadcast, or printed

well before now.  Scared of all the London lawyers paid by the oligarchs ?

Or ?

Edited by beefybake

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I registered on the site to offer accommodation to Ukrainian refugee(s)   Has anyone else done the same.  Required patience as the site kept crashing - can only imagine that they have been inundated with offers.  Whilst I do not know a "named" Ukrainian I understand they should get back in touch soon to see what I have to offer to a complete stranger(s)

I have a couple of spare bedrooms so it is not exactly going to be a hardship......have donated a couple of times whilst watching the news (tearfully) but offering a home to some of these poor distraught people would be far more meaningful and impactful.

I would need to see photographs first.

17 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Fair enough.   The next question is fairly obviously who in the various UK media outlets, inc BBC, stopped programmes like this being broadcast, or printed

Or ?

The UK media knew the gist of everything that was going on: but in 2003 Russia was on our side in a global 'War on Terror' and so the oligarchs were just canny businessmen who just so happened to make billions each from a collapsing economy.

Western governments and advisors were all over the systematic looting of the Soviet Union by its own elites in the 90s. They didn't care about this, until a new regime revived Lenin's mantra of looting the looters only to rebuild a military authoritarianism in opposition to the West. 

The behaviour didn't change, our attitudes have. 

Or ?
There's no conspiracy, the public stopped programmes like that from being broadcast by not giving a f**k.

The UK media knew the gist of everything that was going on: but in 2003 Russia was on our side in a global 'War on Terror' and so the oligarchs were just canny businessmen who just so happened to make billions each from a collapsing economy.
Western governments and advisors were all over the systematic looting of the Soviet Union by its own elites in the 90s. They didn't care about this, until a new regime revived Lenin's mantra of looting the looters only to rebuild a military authoritarianism in opposition to the West. 
The behaviour didn't change, our attitudes have. 
There's also the reality that some of our own capitalists and governments turned a blind eye because they wanted a share of the spoils as well.

As I said the other day - this isn't a crisis that's suddenly erupted - it's been festering away for the past 20-30 years as the West ignored the pilfering after the collapse of the Soviet Union and took a kid gloves approach to Putin et al.