Sons vs Wasps

Finally got round to catching up with the hightlights. I don’t think you can blame anyone in our team for that 2nd goal. Paton passes the ball back towards the defender because he’s completely crowded out by 2 Alloa players on either side, the defender lets the ball run by him towards the keeper who is done rotten by our disgrace of a pitch. If Faz is blaming Paul Paton for that he needs his heid checked. I’d rather he took that anger to the boardroom and demand they find us a suitable home surface for the remainder of the season. I sincerely hope young Wright’s confidence isn’t shattered after that. 

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I sincerely hope young Wright’s confidence isn’t shattered after that. 

Likewise. He’s been superb.

I actually thought he was the only player that showed any urgency to push for an equaliser at 2-1. The rest were far too passive and slow.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nobody has been reprimanded for smashing supporters bus windows or breaking seats so why you think they'll be reprimanded for stealing a ball is anyones guess. It's pish behaviour and I don't know why folk are defending it. 

Lets not pretend Carsy is having a terrific season. He's been good since we stopped losing every week but during our bad run he was honking and costing us goals. Aye we might've done better if Carswell was available but Paton was the only natural midfielder playing yesterday. Wylde considers himself a left back (and was in hiding yesterday), Carlo is a right back and Hutchinson is a defender. Faz obviously had priorities to get defenders in during the window but we have been left short in the middle of the park. 

It won't matter though, we can't play any football at home and the players must dread playing for us there. I honestly think it's that bad that someone at the club needs to explain (a) how we've allowed it to get to this state and (b) what we're doing to fix it. Maybe this new Colin guy can get in touch with his global contacts and find us a solution. Lol.

Carlo is a midfielder who had been playing at RB cause we have been woeful in that position. Do ur homework 

If I was Faz, I'd be telling the players that we just need to put yesterday out of our minds. We weren't helped by the pitch and the bad timing (from our perspective) of Ferguson's resignation. We've been playing very well lately and I'd hope the players will be really up for putting things right next week.

Edited by FifeSons

10 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Carlo has played right-back for most of the past 3 seasons. He’s our best RB, CM and RM tho but we need him most at RB.

His natural position is a midfielder though, 

regardless of where he plays, faz should have noticed we were struggling. We could have moved Carlo to RB and brough McKee on earlier to play in midfield. 

im still really struggling to get my head around why McKee doesn’t play more often but I’m not the gaffer 

18 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

regardless of where he plays, faz should have noticed we were struggling. We could have moved Carlo to RB and brough McKee on earlier to play in midfield. 

im still really struggling to get my head around why McKee doesn’t play more often but I’m not the gaffer 

Carlo joined us as a right back, he was listed on Livingston’s website as such. I just checked and it has changed to midfielder he played at right back at his two previous loan clubs. Transfermarkt and soccerbase both still have him listed as a right back.

Either way, I think we can all agree he’s a bit of a utility man who is fairly comfortable in a number of positions. For me personally, I think he’s far more effective at right back than in midfield. He is far and away our best option at right back and I’d far rather see other players step into the midfield before him.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

3 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Probably because we can't afford the luxury of someone who offers little to nothing in between the odd decent set piece delivery? Likewise young Wilson. Looks likes a boy in a man's game every week when he comes of the bench.

An on form Joe McKee is probably our best player. But we've really struggled to get anything at all out of him this season; between injury and illness he's barely been able to string together a run of games. And when he has played it's been as #10 or out wide. Neither of which really suit him.

I rate Joe as highly as anyone. I think he's an absolutely tremendous player. But I've absolutely no idea where we play him. He probably needs to play in central midfield with Paton and Carsy to do the dirtier side of the game. But that would mean playing five across the middle - and I just don't think that suits us. 

We could've chucked him in CM with Paton yesterday, but that pitch made the midfield a slog and a battle. Which wouldn't have suited him. Is he worth using as a right midfielder given the quality he has on the ball? Maybe, especially with Carlo behind him at RB to motor up and down the line. But I'm not sure that change would suit Faz's pressing style of play.

I've really no idea what we'd do to get him in the team. 

27 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Probably because we can't afford the luxury of someone who offers little to nothing in between the odd decent set piece delivery? Likewise young Wilson. Looks likes a boy in a man's game every week when he comes of the bench.

Granted, I didn’t see the full game yesterday, did you think the young loanee offered mich in the middle of the park? He may well have improved after the initial 30 minutes I managed to watch but I thought he really lacked composure on the ball. As soon as it came in his direction he just kind of launched it.

I’m certainly not going to sit here and pretend that Joe McKee is some sort of world beater who has been good this season, he hasn’t, but I’d much rather see someone who can put his foot on the ball and pick a pass than shoe horning all these defenders into midfield. We had two guys out wide who SHOULD be able to provide defensive cover if required (in Wylde’s case he’s not covered himself in glory in terms of the defensive side of things) so it should allow for a more creative ball player in there. McKee hasn’t become a bad player overnight despite his stop start season. Wilson is another who is a good player that just isn’t playing as well as he could. He looks absolutely devoid of any confidence whatsoever.

If McKee doesn’t fit into our team then questions have to be asked as to why the hell we signed him on a two year deal in the first place. 

23 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Just catching up but plenty of observations to make for sure.

I said it at the time but Wright's hesitancy at the first goal has cost us. It wasn't really his ball to come for but if he starts coming out he has to get there. Yes, defensively we should have been better. Whether it is Boyle or Wylde should be tucking back and tracking the runner... we have gave them a free run in behind. But if Wright stays then I think he can do more to stop the easy tap in.

The first half we lost 99% of the 50/50 battles. For the first 10/15 mins of the second half we seemed much better, but quickly reverted to giving Alloa far too much respect and every time we did get to the ball first we lost out to the second ball. Alloa just wanted it more, possibly the bounce from getting rid of Ferguson and things.

The winning goal is wrong in so many ways for me. If Paton is playing the ball to the defender then it needs to be a better pass. If it is meant for the 'keeper then it needs to be a better pass too (in my opinion we should never be playing the ball back like that given the state of the pitch). I don't think we can forgive Wright's any responsibility with it though. I reckon he probably had just about enough time to put his foot on the ball and play an easier pass away.

Im criticising Paton above but he was great overall yesterday and his finish was superb. Carswell and him have been brilliant the last few weeks and we missed Carswell yesterday more than we have for a long time. I don't think it is coincidence that those 2 were awful throughout our terrible run but as they have came onto a game we have been looking much better.

Duthie deserves a wee mention again. I feel like I say it every week, but if he had better end product and decision making then he'd be the best player in our squad. He gives everything every week and I don't think you'd find a fan who disagrees with that. But he just comes up short on quality a little too often.

Why did/do we give so much respect to other teams when we seem to be at our best taking the game to opponents and playing our own way? Also worth noting how the subs yesterday had little impact (other than Joe hitting 4 corners at the end).

Hopefully we can get Josh and Carsy back next week and get back to it!

7 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Faz’s pressing style of play?

Are you and I watching the same team? 

Faz undoubtedly wants us to press teams. See Clyde last week, and every other game where we've played well this season. Even the goal on Saturday came from us winning the ball back (Paton) in a good position, with every player over the half-way line.

Where things go wrong are when we start to drop off and give teams time and space on the ball. Which we flick into at stages every week. Whether that's on the manager's instructions, players getting tired and taking a breather or what I don't know. But for me there's a clear intent from the manager of pressing with the front three or four players - the two strikers, one of the wingers and usually one of the central midfielders for decent chunks of games.

My bigger concern - and it has been for a while - is how quickly we abandon trying to attack teams with a bit of a pace when it doesn't come off a few times. Duthie, MacLean, even Carlo are all excellent at taking players on. Give them a ball to their feet and get them isolated with a defender and we'll put ourselves in a good position. But it feels like if that doesn't work a few times then we just start bypassing the midfield and hoofing it - hoping that it will stick up top. That's a confidence thing imo, and confidence still looks quite fragile. Although, given the state of central midfield, I understand why we did it more on Saturday.

Individual errors are still killing us too. I made Saturday the 25th goal we've conceded this season that's directly as a result of a glaring individual error (be that a misplaced pass or clearance, a goalkeeping mistake, conceding a penalty or so on). As I said at the time, I don't blame Wright at all. I blame the pitch. But if we end up in League Two next year, then gifting teams goals in one way or another will be the biggest individual reason for that. Going forward we've been pretty good. It's like the total opposite of last year.