Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

That's what I want. I want to sit down two weeks before the squad announcement and think how am I got to narrow this squad of 30 odd players down to 24.

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/12500941/scotland-head-coach-steve-clarke-discusses-the-euros-world-cup-hopes-and-his-2021-highlights

It's around two weeks today that the squad will be announced so here are the players who represented us last year and how they have done for their clubs during February and how many more games they have to impress ahead of the Squad Announcement.

724276812_SCO-PlayerSelection.thumb.png.ac249a9446275023a0f09981e8d3e215.png

Edited by 2426255

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/12500941/scotland-head-coach-steve-clarke-discusses-the-euros-world-cup-hopes-and-his-2021-highlights

It's around two weeks today that the squad will be announced so here are the players who represented us last year and how they have done for their clubs during February and how many more games they have to impress ahead of the Squad Announcement.

724276812_SCO-PlayerSelection.thumb.png.ac249a9446275023a0f09981e8d3e215.png

Good post! A lot of concerns/questions in a few positions based on that (RCB, RWB, 2 behind the striker).  A lot for clarke to ponder. Please god keep Che Adams fit!!

23 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

Good post! A lot of concerns/questions in a few positions based on that (RCB, RWB, 2 behind the striker).  A lot for clarke to ponder. Please god keep Che Adams fit!!

Thanks, it's always a puzzle to figure out how Steve Clarke's squads will look. He is very logical, but occasionally throws in something a little unexpected.

For me, Stevie Clarke should be on the phone non stop to Anthony Gordon trying to get him in the squad. 

I can see Angus Gunn getting a call up too. Don’t want it to happen like but I could see it.

Gordon will fancy his chances of playing for England. I thought he looked like a pretty average youngster until recently but he's developed well and is now one of the main men in an admittedly underperforming Everton side.

Maybe. Also he might see who is ahead of him now and think Scotland is an option. Only one way to find out is asking him. And can feel free to play up the “scouse not English” line Liverpudlians are fond of using 🤣

Maybe. Also he might see who is ahead of him now and think Scotland is an option. Only one way to find out is asking him. And can feel free to play up the “scouse not English” line Liverpudlians are fond of using [emoji1787]
Yeah there's a lot of talent there who are hardly old (maybe even a couple who are younger than him) but I don't imagine footballers break through at a good-sized club with that kind of mentality. He's also just started playing for their u21s (2 games, 2 goals) so won't even be thinking about Scotland right now.

Worth planting the idea in his head though.

It'll be the usual suspects. Would imagine Ryan Fraser comes in to replace Jacob Brown and Ross Stewart for Kevin Nisbet. Apart from that, can't see much chopping and changing. Hickey finally getting called up, perhaps? Angus Gunn and Tino Livramento eligible and realistic, but can't see it happening at this point.  

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

It'll be the usual suspects. Would imagine Ryan Fraser comes in to replace Jacob Brown and Ross Stewart for Kevin Nisbet. Apart from that, can't see much chopping and changing. Hickey finally getting called up, perhaps? Angus Gunn and Tino Livramento eligible and realistic, but can't see it happening at this point.  

Angus Gunn isn't interested in Scotland and Tino Livamento can play for England or Portugal 

Anthony Gordon would maybe like us to go for but Ireland will probably beat us to the punch with him again 

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

Angus Gunn isn't interested in Scotland and Tino Livamento can play for England or Portugal 

Anthony Gordon would maybe like us to go for but Ireland will probably beat us to the punch with him again 

Unsure what Portugal's right-back situation is like, but he has no chance of getting anywhere near the England squad. That's possibly their strongest position at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Unsure what Portugal's right-back situation is like, but he has no chance of getting anywhere near the England squad. That's possibly their strongest position at the moment. 

Yes but he is only a kid don't get me wrong would absolutely be delighted if he picked us especially with the Patterson situation 

Why would Ireland beat us to him?
They've obviously got Cancelo who's next level good but I'm not sure if he plays left-back for Portugal plus Livramento's around 8 years younger. Arsenal's Cedric is Portuguese but he must be getting on and I don't know if he plays for them. Dunno who else is available.

If the play-offs do get replaced by a friendly or two, how different might the squad look?

Will Aaron Hickey finally get a call? Porteous maybe with Cooper unavailable? A new wildcard forward (f**k knows who)?

There's also the chance that some clubs might not want our players getting risked for a friendly.

15 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Will you never take to him like with Che if he does play for us?

To be fair, Angus Gunn, to his credit, has come out and said he has no interest in playing for us.  I'm someone who doesn't care where you were born or how you speak or whether you can address a haggis, as long as you're eligible and good enough, but if you say you're not interested then that's it as far as I'm concerned.  Not like I'd picket Hampden if he eventually decides he fancies it, but it's different if someone feels they have a connection and actually wants to play.

Gunn feels English and fair enough.  He probably doesn't care where his dad was born, he's spent his whole life in England and has played at various ages for them.

18 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Yes but he is only a kid don't get me wrong would absolutely be delighted if he picked us especially with the Patterson situation 

Playing well and regularly for a decent English Premier League team should have you in the frame regardless of age. If he wants to wait a few years, that's fair enough, but at this point in time I don't see how he gets in to England's squad and I can't see him picking Portugal either. It would be a massive coup to get him though. I am a big fan of him. Saw him a few times at Chelsea and always thought he looked quality. 

He (Gunn) is not very good either, from what I have seen. Admittedly that hasn't been much but if he were breaking into a top 6  team in Germany, France, Italy or England I could understand the hope of him switching allegiances. As things stand, it is like desperately hoping that say Macey at Hibs has a Scottish grannie - all a bit meh and Liam Kelly probably a better option in any case. 

18 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Why would Ireland beat us to him?They've obviously got Cancelo who's next level good but I'm not sure if he plays left-back for Portugal plus Livramento's around 8 years younger. Arsenal's Cedric is Portuguese but he must be getting on and I don't know if he plays for them. Dunno who else is available.

Cos he can also play for Ireland and there on a rebuild he would be the main.man and straight in the team if he choosed them

Where as if he comes and plays for us he will be fighting with other players for a start hopefully players that will go up into the EPL players like Christie