Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

This is the fixed plan rate OVO are currently offering me, my current fixed ends in March

6D4592F0-095B-4BF3-871B-2D4F97F2B642.thumb.jpeg.5a4621e87258c505e0c04fcc4c020d5f.jpeg

I currently pay 16.91p day rate, 12.45p night, and 24.56p standing. The variable switch option is 22.33/16.16/27.48. I think I’ll take my chances on the variable at the moment, I currently pay £88/month and am over £200 ahead.

I’m dreading the next time my oil tank needs refilled, that won’t be until about November though. 

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

This is the fixed plan rate OVO are currently offering me, my current fixed ends in March

6D4592F0-095B-4BF3-871B-2D4F97F2B642.thumb.jpeg.5a4621e87258c505e0c04fcc4c020d5f.jpeg

I currently pay 16.91p day rate, 12.45p night, and 24.56p standing. The variable switch option is 22.33/16.16/27.48. I think I’ll take my chances on the variable at the moment, I currently pay £88/month and am over £200 ahead.

I’m dreading the next time my oil tank needs refilled, that won’t be until about November though. 

The variable option looks very much like the current price cap, ie expect that to go up 50% or so by the start of April.

57 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Fucking hell. I'm with OVO. 

This is giving me the fear.

14 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 26/02/2022 at 18:59, strichener said:
Sorry, but your last paragraph is just not correct, the issue with different prices is that unlike any other product where the consumer pays the cost of delivery, in the energy market it is the opposite and different regions have to pay transmission charges based on the demand rather than supply.  It is why London has one of the cheapest rates yet generates piss all.
We could of course have had cheaper power but we closed our coal fired power stations, everyone is now seeing the cost of the UK's commitment to reduce emissions.

Nonsense the price of coal has risen 72% in the last year, it would have made zero difference.

natural-gas-and-coal-prices.thumb.png.ae001893e5c78db85e0eedac89fb6a4f.png

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Those two things don't naturally follow.

Your argument is nonsense. That tells everything I need to know.

Are you able to articulate what my argument is?

You don't even have to tell me why it's nonsense.

Not really sure what I hope to get out of this tbh, it seems that you're just wasting your time (and I'm foolishly wasting mine). Should probably start trying to surmise The Prize to jakeys in the park.

(The Prize is a great book btw, for any audience, and the Quest is still good without being as good.)

Edited by Satoshi

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

The variable option looks very much like the current price cap, ie expect that to go up 50% or so by the start of April.

Yeah, I still think that’s in a better place than the fixed tariff though, and will have me paying for roughly what I use without changing my current DD (I currently pay quite a bit more than I need to).

The October change is the big concern, but I think I’ll take the gamble on that. 

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

natural-gas-and-coal-prices.thumb.png.ae001893e5c78db85e0eedac89fb6a4f.png

It isn't the cost of the coal that is important, it is the price that the generated power can be sold for that is crucial.

Of course coal has come down in price, things tend to if nobody wants them.

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

It isn't the cost of the coal that is important, it is the price that the generated power can be sold for that is crucial.

Of course coal has come down in price, things tend to if nobody wants them.

You should probably have quoted the poster that I responded to who was claiming that coal has increased 72% and therefore is irrelevant in the discussion in energy prices.

1. The price that energy can be sold for is dependant on what is being used to produce the energy.  In the UK we have closed coal powered stations and have a reliance on imported gas to cover shortages in other sources.  Like Peterhead power station which is only used when demand requires it but they get paid millions to be on standby.

2. Coal is still a major contributor to the power mix in many industrial countries.  Germany for example uses coal and lignite for more than a quarter of its electricity production and when renewable production fell, used fossil fuels to fill the gap.

fig2a-gross-power-production-germany-1990-2021-source.thumb.png.0376f1f217ac3f122f63ae3d8ddc18a0.png

We can be all green about this but power prices in Germany have not risen to the same extent as the UK.  

Poland which has 72% of electric produced from coal and lignite has one of the lowest pre-taxation prices of electricity in Europe.

This isn't about calling for the rebuilding of coal based electricity generation but understanding that being green has a cost.  We are only touching the surface of what that price is.  This is especially the case when the coal capacity has not been replaced by nuclear or renewables as it is in the UK.

Scotland as a net exporter of electricity should be seeing the benefits of the increased power prices but isn't due to the biased transmission system in the UK.

The price a generating company can sell into the wholesale market is down to the instantaneous traded price of the energy and not the nature of the generation.

The move away from coal is Europe wide so if there is an argument on marginal rate of change, that's not one for me.

This link might help https://www.myutilitygenius.co.uk/guide/dummies/energy-supply-explained/

It says it is for dummies but feel free to have a look 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/01/mps-to-get-2200-pay-rise-next-month

As predicted, MPs have been awarded a salary increase, of £2220 from next month, whilst the rest of the population will be hammered with massive increases in their fuel bills from next month, not to mention the increase in NI.

The rise for MPs will comfortably cover both of those increased costs for them.

What was your pay rise this year? Or last year? The year before that?

Aside from your actual energy supplier, who would be coming round the doors just now asking to read your meters, and why?

Just had a guy at the door asking to do just that, and we didn't let him as we are both working from home and my wife was on a work call at the time. I know your energy supplier sometimes does this to check you are submitting accurate readings, but I don't think that's who it was as he's going to literally every door in the street. Pretty unlikely that every house is with the same energy company.

Aside from your actual energy supplier, who would be coming round the doors just now asking to read your meters, and why?
Just had a guy at the door asking to do just that, and we didn't let him as we are both working from home and my wife was on a work call at the time. I know your energy supplier sometimes does this to check you are submitting accurate readings, but I don't think that's who it was as he's going to literally every door in the street. Pretty unlikely that every house is with the same energy company.
Not saying your man was defo legit but the suppliers sort of contract this service in as a pool service. Yer man reads all the meters, and the readings find their way to your supplier.

Just went to see my bit on the side. Got the fright of my life when her husband answered the door. He was working from home today, apparently. 

I just thought of the first excuse I could - said I was there to read the meter. The guy didn't let me in. 

That was a close shave. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Al B said:

Not saying your man was defo legit but the suppliers sort of contract this service in as a pool service. Yer man reads all the meters, and the readings find their way to your supplier.

I never really had any doubts over whether he was legit or not (I checked and there were no yellow markings on our gate signalling to the dognappers), just thought it was weird that he's checking every house, and also because our bills are consistently based of submitted reads (not that that matters a f**k anymore as it appears they are just pulling unit prices and standing charges out of thin air anyway).

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just went to see my bit on the side. Got the fright of my life when her husband answered the door. He was working from home today, apparently. 

I just thought of the first excuse I could - said I was there to read the meter. The guy didn't let me in. 

That was a close shave. 

I'd wager you'd have decided not to make this joke had you seen the nick of the guy. Not even worth the virtual laughs.