Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

59 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I'm relatively lucky in that I got us put on a 5 year fixed deal with isupply (they left the uk market last year and moved us to edf who have to honor the fixed deal) that expires in September. I can only hope that by the time that expires the prices will be heading down... doubt it but its something to hope for.

They're going up again in October. Already been confirmed. 

Unfortunately that rise seems likely to be even more than expected.

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I was considering replacing the gas combi boiler with an electric one, but nothing I've read on here (or anywhere else) recently is suggesting that this would be a cost effective move.

It also sounds like it is nowhere near as good as a gas combi despite being treble the price.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

your absolutely right.. but let me have a little bit of hope

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Barring miracles, we won't be able to afford to heat the house next winter, and that'll be a more common problem than anyone wants to admit.

Obviously that means no season ticket at the Recs for me again next year  :(

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Oil prices have dropped below 100$ a barrell again.
So 30% ish on a matter of days.
Down near on 10% just today.
Petrol should be back down about 20p a litre to where it was a few weeks ago shortly.

It always rises much faster than it falls.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Barring miracles, we won't be able to afford to heat the house next winter, and that'll be a more common problem than anyone wants to admit.

Obviously that means no season ticket at the Recs for me again next year  :(

Aye that will be far more widespread that people expect. There will be people who will have to ration their heating and some who simply won't be able to afford it all.

Everyone is being failed massively here by various governments, including the UK one. 

More needs to be done about this. Some people are getting even disgustingly more wealthy from these ludicrous price increases on the back of misery for millions. Those scumbags won't care about others suffering of course, and neither will the UK government (I suspect many are delighted by it, and suspect some will probably be profiting from it in some way as well). 

Billions were suddenly found for furlough. Billions were suddenly found for business grants. Billions were somehow 'lost' on various government scams. Yet there's nothing but a pathetic, mandatory loan that will barely help for this issue. 

This issue isn't going away, as much as the government want it to. It's only going to get worse and worse. A lot of people probably aren't getting just how big a hit their finances are going to take until the first bill/DD arrives. When the October increase hits, which will coincide with the need for more heating, it's going to be dreadful. It will be a national crisis. It already should be, but October is going to be so harmful for so many as it will become real. Expect to see suicide rates go crazy. Mental health issues will explode. GPs, already massively overwhelmed, will just not be able to cope. Homelessness will increase massively.

The precious economy will take a massive hit since folk will have to massively curb their spending on pretty much everything, especially when businesses put up their prices to cover their own energy bills. Quite a lot of businesses will collapse. Maybe only then will the government react, as money is all those c***s care about. Almost certainly they'll do something to make it worse though. 

Edited by DA Baracus

Got a letter from my provider today.i get that due to global events energy prices are going up,I'm a bit confused as to why my daily standing charge is also being increased by nearly 50%,though.is there a sound reason for this or is it just them using the unit price rises to squeeze in some more profit?

Just received this e mail for my 90 year old plus dad.  He needs the heating on most of the time due to his ill health.  I’m not going to tell him about the rise as I don’t want him worrying about the bills and I will obviously make sure they are paid.  I’m fully expecting a similar rise come October’s price cap review.  Crazy times indeed.

CB30098E-52A2-48BB-92A2-3ACF52D1B783.jpeg

Re: That £150 rebate due to come from councils.   I was on the phone this morning to my local district council.

Apparently, the Westmister lot have given the councils from April to September to actually pay this out.

So not quite the beginning of April, the impression given when the government announced it.

Re: That £150 rebate due to come from councils.   I was on the phone this morning to my local district council.
Apparently, the Westmister lot have given the councils from April to September to actually pay this out.
So not quite the beginning of April, the impression given when the government announced it.

I got my council tax bill. It’s working out about £10 a month cheaper than we’re currently paying.

Nothing will change without civil disobedience 

The Tories literally do not care, they’re still planning on going ahead with the NI rise.

Edit: I’m already looking forward to the patronising articles telling people they just need to cut back on Starbucks once a week

Edited by Clown Job

I presume anyone on too low an income to pay council tax will be receiving hee-haw to help with these increases?
I'd imagine [mention=15829]Day of the Lords[/mention] will be hearing plenty about this over the coming year.
I think it's based on council banding rather than income but might be completely wrong on that

18 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
51 minutes ago, BFTD said:
I presume anyone on too low an income to pay council tax will be receiving hee-haw to help with these increases?
I'd imagine [mention=15829]Day of the Lords[/mention] will be hearing plenty about this over the coming year.

I think it's based on council banding rather than income but might be completely wrong on that

Yep, anyone above band D doesn’t get the £150.  I presume the thinking must be if you are above band D you are rich and don’t need the money.  I can personally verify  that is not the case!

Edited by Shadow Play

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

What council tax band are you in?

I'm in band A and will be saving about £15 a month due to the rebate.

Nothing will change without civil disobedience 
The Tories literally do not care, they’re still planning on going ahead with the NI rise.
Edit: I’m already looking forward to the patronising articles telling people they just need to cut back on Starbucks once a week
When I was a young lad, haulage companies and farmers would be causing blockades and carnage generally by now. This would usually force the government to move. These days, they'll pathetically not bother and those c***s in Downing Street will fleece us rotten.