Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

15 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I have a deal until October 23 which I thought was looking good but not so sure anymore

You'll go straight to a £10,000 bill, it's a bit like snakes and ladders either wee bumps or one giant climb. Enjoy the ride x

petrol is going down here. high of 48 baht, now 43 baht.

Know your friends

This message comes from the Junta of Thailand (who are helping the Myanmar (Burma) army). But, don't tell anyone. 

11 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Last month we used £1.93 in gas and £32 in electricity yet our supplier wanted to  put our DD up to £166 a month,we are £420 in credit.

Worth contacting the regulator, they are meant to be issuing fines for this behaviour. I'd also be putting your bill down to the minimum to burn through the credit or withdraw it into your bank account 

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The total bill for standing charges per month is only about £20 to £30 or thereabouts if I've read my bill properly so cutting that isn't going to get us anywhere.

It's the per unit charge which will be the killer.

I just had a look at my most recent bill and the standing charge and tax make up more than the cost of the Gas itself £8.44 for that for £5.50 of gas used.

Electricity is slightly better £15.82 for standing charge and tax compared to £18.56 in usage.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's going to depend on the size of your house I suppose.

Your usage is incredibly low. Presumably you have a flat?

Having a look at my own usage, we have a 3 bed detached house and the last month our total bill was £85 including VAT so the standing charge is about 1/3 of that. In terms of usage, I'm not realistically going to get lower than that. Just 7 units of gas and about 165 units of electricity. Mind you, I'm in the house all day now. If I was working there would be almost no electricity usage during the working day of course.

I suspect that if they scrap the standing charge they'll simply pad the unit rate to compensate which is what they used to do.

I'm 2 bed but a mid terrace, also just me so usage is low with only me working from home etc.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Have you got electric showers?  How do you heat your water?

Nah it runs off the boiler, it was only put in just before I get the keys so I guess it's quite efficient.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I thought I'd done quite well to get my usage down so low but that is quite impressive.

To get mine down further I'd probably need to switch off one of the computers and also drop my coffee and tea intake from 12 mugs a day. The kettle probably accounts for most of the electricity. 😂

Yeh I only have a few hot drinks but use the hob and over at least once a day usually cook my porridge on the hob in the morning, but don't have a dishwasher which I think saves power.

But after all that Shell keep pressuring me to up my bill to £85 a month. Wankers.

Am I correct in thinking that all people who have multiple homes in the UK that are not rented out will get £400 grant to help with the utility bills?

Surely if you can afford to have more than one dwelling you can afford to pay your utility bills?

Obviously this does not affect landlords where tenants are directly responsible for the utility bills.

It just seems absurd that the mega rich who own multiple properties get multiple assistance. 

Surely that can’t be right?