Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

14 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Got electric central heating here ad not able to get gas. My Jan 2022 usage would result in a bill of £780 for the month under the new price cap. Give monthly readings so know the usage is accurate too. 

We were both working from home and it was on all day a good few days but thats still eye watering.

This is a good point and again won't be long before the Tory media jump on the "What do you expect working from home? Get back to the office!" bandwagon.

Mind how everyone* thought those Insulate Britain folk who were campaigning for energy efficiency in homes were a bunch of wackos?

That worked out well, eh?

*Perma-seething right-wingers

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

On a more practical note, the wife and I have been discussing things to do to reduce energy usage such as limiting the use of the dishwasher and washing machine, making better use of the central heating, etc,

Would appreciate getting some tips on how best to maximise the most efficient use of the various appliances which most of us have.

I think I’ve changed all my bulbs to LED which seems sensible.

I have a smart meter which shows my weekly cost at the moment (summer) to be around £25.

Whatever happens, it’s going to cost more and being sensible and practical seems the best way forward.

Have you considered cutting out all luxuries and living solely to go to work, existing on a subsidence diet with no entertainment whatsoever?

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mind how everyone* thought those Insulate Britain folk who were campaigning for energy efficiency in homes were a bunch of wackos?

This time last week, our new Prime Minister was saying the thing she hates seeing most in the world was solar farms in the countryside.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Macron told the truth the other day when he said that we entering a new era of consumption in the West and ordinary people are going to be forced into a far lower standard of living

No I don't agree. As I said the other day, any Government which threatens to permanently lower the standard of living because we must defend the likes of Ukraine will find themselves out on their arses ASAP and replaced by one which won't.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

*Perma-seething right-wingers who consider the absolute right to get from place to place really fast in their ridiculous massive cars to be more important than laws or human life 

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Labour's plan is wholly inadequate - it is a six month sticking plaster that would fall off just as the enormous cap due in April would hit.

The Tories will ultimately need to look at a 24 month solution, which would instantly trump anything Labour offered.

By having such a short timeframe plan, Labour have, ultimately, shot themselves in the foot.

I really don't think they have. To the voting public, Labour are offering a freeze. An actual freeze on price rises. Tories are offering less. Offering less for longer won't trump anything in the minds of voters.

I'm not saying Labour's plan is workable or practical. The sheer costs are why the Tories are shying away. But for folk seeing bills shooting up, they might be willing to give Labour a try.

24 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Got electric central heating here ad not able to get gas. My Jan 2022 usage would result in a bill of £780 for the month under the new price cap. Give monthly readings so know the usage is accurate too. 

We were both working from home and it was on all day a good few days but thats still eye watering.

What would your bill be for a year?

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This is a good point and again won't be long before the Tory media jump on the "What do you expect working from home? Get back to the office!" bandwagon.

My wife and I both work at the same place. We are at home 2 or 3 days per week. Genuinely considering doing the maths - car journey fuel vs electricity and heating costs during the day. We might end up in here 5 days a week.

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Ironically, the current state of costs will be pushing businesses to chuck their offices. 

Yeah they still think think that. Groups like Insulate Britain, Extinction Rebellion, Just Stop Oil etc are all viewed as troubling making lefty hippies - despite their messages being perfectly reasonable. I’m not sure why ‘hippies’ are demonised like this. Maybe it’s because folk are afraid of change. I don’t get it.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I think you're being kind, I suspect them to be more like, look you only come back when you need to and then something about employers charging their staff energy use.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

What would your bill be for a year?

I've not worked that out yet. My summer usage has been about £60 a month up until now

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

What is her obsession with cutting the "green crap"? That's partly the reason we are in this mess. Green levies make up about 8% of our energy bills , More populist wank spouted by Truss.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think you're being kind, I suspect them to be more like, look you only come back when you need to and then something about employers charging their staff energy use.

To be fair, that's how scottsdad positioned it.

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

What is her obsession with cutting the "green crap"? That's partly the reason we are in this mess. Green levies make up about 8% of our energy bills , More populist w**k spouted by Truss.

You answered your own question.

Tories don't care about helping others. They've went their entire lives being able to burn as many fossil fuels as they want and by jove they aren't changing anything now!