Edinburgh City -vs- Stenhousemuir (Wednesday 2 March 2022)

Here we are, the big one, the most important game we're likely to see in League 2 this season. Edinburgh City welcome Stenhousemuir to Ainslie Park on Wednesday night for a real six-pointer in the battle for the final play-off place. The hosts can take a massive step to securing fourth position with a win and open up a six-point gap between the sides; the Warriors, meanwhile, can overtake their opponents with a victory (and still have a game in hand!)

Stenny were excellent against Forfar Athletic on Saturday, dominating the game and generally playing well throughout, and come into this match having taken 10 points from a possible 12. We have, however, been mediocre against Edinburgh on the past two occasions, losing dismally in the capital earlier at the start of the campaign and chucking away two points after conceding a late equaliser back in December. We're a better side now than they were then, having strengthened in a number of problem positions, settled on a solid formation, and found a degree of resolve that was absent previously, and I fancy us a bit.

Ideally, we'd go with the same XI that bodied the Loons but with Nat Wedderburn hobbling off the pitch in a makeshift moonboot, it's unlikely he'll participate. In his post-match interview, Stephen Swift said he'd tried out Ross Lyon in the middle of the park in a bounce game for his versatility, defensive nous and his ball-carrying ability, so I think he'll take Wedderburn's place. I don't like that idea and I don't think it really worked after Wedderburn's withdrawal on Saturday. I'd prefer to see Ross Forbes take up a deeper role and Adam Brown fielded behind the forwards, but he seems miles away from featuring, for whatever reason. I like Brown and think he has something to offer this team, especially as a number 10.

- Tam Orr - Robert Thomson -

- Adam Brown -

- Mikey Miller - Ross Forbes - Mikey Anderson -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Adam Corbett -

- Peter Urminsky -

I'd like to think we can win this game, give our run of form, but whenever I've been confident going into a fixture this season, it never quite happens. A draw isn't the end of the world but a defeat could be damaging. Either way, I'll be there, and I hope to see you there too!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BinoBalls said:

Warriors fans can take consolation that — win lose or draw in your midweek showdown — you will (*) beat us at the weekend, provided you put in a modicum of effort. 

* unless it’s postponed because of our boggy wasteland of a pitch. 

You'd lost seven league games on the bounce before you pitched up at Ochilview in January and turned us over, so I'm not expecting an easy ride at the weekend!

2 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

Warriors fans can take consolation that — win lose or draw in your midweek showdown — you will (*) beat us at the weekend, provided you put in a modicum of effort. 

* unless it’s postponed because of our boggy wasteland of a pitch. 

Also City are playing Albion Rovers away on Saturday*, a team we haven't beaten this season...

*unless it's postponed because of a boggy wasteland of a pitch etc. 

22 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'd like to think we can win this game, give our run of form, but whenever I've been confident going into a fixture this season, it never quite happens. A draw isn't the end of the world but a defeat could be damaging. Either way, I'll be there, and I hope to see you there too!

Nice match preview! 

City were fairly dreadful going forwards against Cowdenbeath on Friday (despite winning) and lost their previous two. I'll predict a cagey 1-1 to keep us in the box seat for 4th. 

27 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm going to be in Edinburgh tomorrow for work and will be finishing up at the back of 6pm. Is there anywhere near the ground I can get something decent to eat?

Morrisons... :lol: 

Define "near" as Stockbridge would be your best bet, it's 10-15 minutes away. Can't remember if The Village on corner Ferry Road/Crewe Toll does food, it's the nearest.

Defensively, we've been more assured conceding 2 goals in 4 games and look comfortable with the ball, especially with Yeats and Corbett. 

Wedderburn may sit this one out, perhaps Miller will sit in the middle beside Anderson?

I think we have O'Reilly back. Him, Thomson and Orr could really hurt Edinburgh and Swift is pushing consistency/drive. 

Despite having terrible form against Edinburgh recently, I'm hoping we'll use it as motivation to get that top 4 spot. 

I think we'll win tonight🤞

On 28/02/2022 at 18:20, RubyTuesday said:

Nice match preview! 

City were fairly dreadful going forwards against Cowdenbeath on Friday (despite winning) and lost their previous two. I'll predict a cagey 1-1 to keep us in the box seat for 4th. 

And a cagey 1-1 it turned out to be. 

Actually, that's nonsense. Stenny were by far the better team, and they'll be kicking themselves that they didn't head home with all 3 points. 

Not unhappy with the point but always felt we were the aggressor in the contest and most of Edinburghs moments were on the break.

We are in a really good moment just now. We aren't carrying passengers and the whole squad look up for it for the run in.

Thought Corbett was brilliant again at full back he's really becoming an attacking weapon down that right. The back four in general are a good unit just now, along with Peter, and long may that continue.

On to Stirling if we play at the level of the recent matches we should continue to pile the pressure on Edinburgh.

Edinburgh are a nice team technically but too sure they will have a great style to cope on that dump of a pitch at Cliftonhill.

I thought a draw was probably the correct result but Stenhousemuir were the better team over the piece - we held onto the ball for longer spells, had Edinburgh City on the backfoot and created a couple of decent openings. As Neilly says, City looked to hit us on the break and Jack Brydon's goal came out of nowhere (and it really was a superb hit). A point isn't the worst result in the world but I'm disappointed we couldn't take all three. It wasn't a particularly great game and it didn't help that Ainslie Park is the worst place in the SPFL to watch football.

Stenhousemuir look a solid outfit at the moment, with the 4-3-1-2 suiting this side, and most players are flourishing in the role. Tam Orr was my man of the match - he's really been in excellent form since the turn of the year - and Adam Corbett continues to impress at right full-back. Robert Thomson put in a good shift and the big man really reminds me of Colin Cramb in the way he plays. Also, Mikey Anderson played well and is very good at doing the simple stuff and moving it onto the better players.

I'd like to think we're can beat a dreadful Stirling Albion team next week because this is the most cohesive we've looked all season. I'm quite confident about getting into the top four now.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It wasn't a particularly great game and it didn't help that Ainslie Park is the worst place in the SPFL to watch football.

I don't have access to the attendance stats but I'd be surprised if there are many smaller crowds in SPFL2 than the 182 that we saw last night. And I reckon 50 of those were from Stenny :)

Looking forward to Saturday 3pm KO's in a new stadium next season. 

Two middle table teams battled it out last night. Annan, Forfar and Kelty are better sides. So after our usual humiliation at the hands of Albion Rovers on Saturday we'll have to play really well at Ochilview to prevent Stenny taking 4th spot. 

If you think Ainslie Park is a shite place to watch football you ain't seen nothing yet..... 

It really is a dog shit place to take in a game.

Even if they opened the grass bank for all games or the elevated terracing area on dugout side it would be so much better.

With crowds so sparse at this level it's not as though if people were in those areas there would be any bother. Just station an auld boy with a yellow vest there and all will be fine

23 hours ago, Neilly said:

It really is a dog shit place to take in a game.

Even if they opened the grass bank for all games or the elevated terracing area on dugout side it would be so much better.

With crowds so sparse at this level it's not as though if people were in those areas there would be any bother. Just station an auld boy with a yellow vest there and all will be fine

Until the proposed new stand is completed at Meadowbank, it will be even worse. Hopefully work is started asap.

On 03/03/2022 at 12:23, RubyTuesday said:

I don't have access to the attendance stats but I'd be surprised if there are many smaller crowds in SPFL2 than the 182 that we saw last night. And I reckon 50 of those were from Stenny :)

Looking forward to Saturday 3pm KO's in a new stadium next season. 

There was 151 at Albion Rovers on Tuesday