Airdrie v Cove - Diamonds Do or Die

4 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

lets just all pray for the clubs accounts though, running a business with that kind of philosophy.

Defo has to be a one off, as it is quite obviously unsustainable to do that even semi-regularly. 

36 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Oh dear, you’ve had a shocker Alan.

“To help with this, and to thank you for your fantastic support over a thrilling season for the club, we are reducing the price of online ticket sales for Saturday’s match. Adult tickets are price at £10 and £5 for concession”. 

Get yourself an extra pie with the spare 8 quid son. 

♦️♦️♦️

73BAD0FF-7CBE-4F27-8BAE-0C36ABECFC2C.jpeg

Positive move by the club but let's wait and see if we get anywhere near 2300 fans then. And let's see what the attendances are like for the remainder of the home games.

Honestly man, you are seriously short sighted if you don't think the club will lose some money by slashing gate prices. It's a good move to boost a one off crowd for a huge game. But beyond that it's not sustainable, otherwise why not do it for the full season.... 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

I bought a ticket for the game earlier today and I'm pumped for it. This is probably the biggest match in the country so far this season and I've got high hopes for it. My impression is that Airdrieonians are one of the most exciting teams in the SPFL right now and have the league's best player in Dylan Easton, but they've never quite been able to get over their poor start to the campaign or take advantage of Cove Rangers' infrequent slip-ups. Cove, meanwhile, seem to be a solid, experienced side that might lack the Diamonds' sparkle but are capable of running over the top of teams when it suits them.

I'm going for a narrow home win! 

So much quality will be on show on Saturday which makes you wonder what the combined Airdrie-Cove team would look like. Here's my thought.

I didn't know the best formation. Chose Rory over Smith as I know Mitch relies on a target man alongside him. Could Smith play CM instead of Blair? I know McCabe could but then who goes in CB as his replacement. Smith too good for the bench I know.

Frizzell didn't fit the formation and plumped for Fyvie over Agnew as the holding DCM.

Sure a different formation like a  standard 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 would alter the personnel and bring in a couple more attacking Airdrie players.

My selection would leave a bench of;

McKenzie, Reynolds, Ross, Frizzell, Agnew, Smith, Gallacher, Vigurs, G McGill

Screenshot_20220321-150256.jpg

10 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I bought a ticket for the game earlier today and I'm pumped for it. This is probably the biggest match in the country so far this season and I've got high hopes for it. My impression is that Airdrieonians are one of the most exciting teams in the SPFL right now and have the league's best player in Dylan Easton, but they've never quite been able to get over their poor start to the campaign or take advantage of Cove Rangers' infrequent slip-ups. Cove, meanwhile, seem to be a solid, experienced side that might lack the Diamonds' sparkle but are capable of running over the top of teams when it suits them.

Easton is a very impressive player. Can glide past his man, create space, play the killer ball and score himself. Terrific signing. Surely a few clubs from above looking at him.

Harry Milne wouldn't be far behind Easton in regards to the best L1 player. Won't find many a better LWB outside the SPL than him. Struggling to think of one to be honest. If you haven't seen Harry recently then he could be a welcome player to watch on Saturday.

Strikers of both clubs are impressive too.

Certainly need the win, a draw and the league is as good as over. It would require Cove losing 2 of their last 5, they've only lost 3 all season. Of course we'd also need to win the last 5 too, although we'd need to do that anyway I think even if we win.

That should make for an exciting end to the match because one team will have to be pushing for a goal at the end to get the win/draw that they need, there isn't any result that both teams would be happy with.

I know its only Monday and there's a hell of a long week to go, but I'm absolutely buzzing for this game. Win, and it sets up one of the most interesting end to a season for Airdrie in many a year.  I know its like a broken record, but I genuinely have so much time for this group of players, its a team built on hard work, fitness and team work, and if you throw a bit of flair into that, its always going to be a good watch.

We've been spoiled this year in terms of quality of goals, I don't think I can remember a season where every week there seems to be a goal of the month/season contender.  Its been a great battle with Cove this year, they've been nothing but professional and hard working in everything they've done, supplementing experience in the ranks with real quality.  There's going to be some absolutely cracking battles all over the pitch this weekend, and I cannot f*cking wait.

26 minutes ago, Preston Diamond said:

As a Season Ticket holder do I simply turn up and show the card to gain entry.

Aye, there's a wee barcode on the back of the card. They will scan that in the turnstile and that's it. 

23 minutes ago, Preston Diamond said:

As a Season Ticket holder do I simply turn up and show the card to gain entry.

Yeah you just show your card at the turnstile and they scan it, quite straight forward.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Certainly need the win, a draw and the league is as good as over. It would require Cove losing 2 of their last 5, they've only lost 3 all season. Of course we'd also need to win the last 5 too, although we'd need to do that anyway I think even if we win.

That should make for an exciting end to the match because one team will have to be pushing for a goal at the end to get the win/draw that they need, there isn't any result that both teams would be happy with.

Murray has certainly shown a few times this season that he isn’t happy to settle for a draw, so like the Dumbarton/Thistle/Clyde games I’m looking forward to us finishing the game with Gallagher, Smith, Afolabi, Allan, Gabby, Fordyce and Watson up front, Easton and Frizzell in midfield and McCabe at the back. Hopefully we don’t need that and it’s just the usual bringing Scott McGill on to shore things up at that stage.

I have Airdrie down for a win here . As we have played you both recently i think you just edge it for the better team overall , as i have said before Murray has your team playing as a good solid unit with decent players and always improving with the confidence that comes with good management . 

Always liked Murray as a manager if given time .

Hyped for the one. Touch and go whether I’ll make it or not but intend on being there and paying my £10 whether do get to the game or not. Goes without saying that quite simply no less than 3 points will do. Sadly the recent trend of big Airdrie games (big crowds, playoffs or tv coverage) doesn’t fill me with confidence… surely this time will be different. 

So reluctant to get carried away on a wave of optimism, but I think as we have to get a win over Cove, I am predicting a narrow win. Some of our home form since the opening day difficulty, has been as good as anything in the Morton collapse year. The problem, and credit to Cove for creating it, is that we have dropped a few daft points while Cove strode on.

The hope is that these away games will be a turning point against Cove. even if there are still some tough games for both of us. 

I hope Watson is fit and back in so that him.and Gabby can provide a challenge to Milne. 

Thinking back to last season we were a wee bit lucky to knock out Cove. We are a much better side while they maybe still rely on Mitch and Rory. It's so nerve jangling and it's just Monday!

On the issue of a combined team/ formation Cove 22 has laid out a strong contender. Frizzel has been amazing all season, for someone dismissed by Dumbarton posters, and he'd start for me . Will need to see who drops out. I also doubt if Kerr has done enough for us , to be in the starting line.

10 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And maybe the club is not in a position to reduce gate fees by 72% as you'd suggest they do. To generate the same gate money based our average crowd this season, you'd need an attendance of circa. 2300 fans, just to break even with what the club make at £18 a ticket. 

Even dropping it to a tenner, you'd need circa 1150 attendance just to break even. And Cove aren't exactly going to come in their droves. 

Let's say dropping it to £5 got us 1000 fans. The club would still lose circa £6500 in gate receipts. That's not exactly petty cash for a club on our level. 

So yeah, it's easy enough saying the club should do it but I'd hardly call it a 'missed opportunity' if they don't. And as I said above, this is our most tantalising game of the season, a chance to cut into the 5 point gap of our title rivals. If that's not enough to attract more fans then I'm not convinced a money losing price cut will bring fans back in their droves.

For me, that won't happen until we get promoted and when we do, you can probably expect a ticket price of £20 per game I'd say. 

8 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Positive move by the club but let's wait and see if we get anywhere near 2300 fans then. And let's see what the attendances are like for the remainder of the home games.

Honestly man, you are seriously short sighted if you don't think the club will lose some money by slashing gate prices. It's a good move to boost a one off crowd for a huge game. But beyond that it's not sustainable, otherwise why not do it for the full season.... 

I take it you've based your figures on our average home attendance which if you have then the rest of your workings are miles out.

A high percentage of our home crowd will be made up of season ticket holders therefore that money is paid up front. The club may only need to attract an extra couple of hundred to take it to the standard gate receipt and any more is a bonus.

Also as had been said the monetary value of us getting the three points cannot be judged as yet but if it were to turn out that these three points won promotion then the whole issue is a moot point. 

Get the fans in, generate some atmosphere and roar this side on to a win.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Spelling errors from auto correct

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Get that Tam Rab T-Shirt ironed Craig!!