Austria v Scotland

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

If , as I fear, we don't get over the Ukraine/Wales hurdle then we can experiment and 'get a look at people' all we want. Tonight must be about momentum, and getting our first choice team playing together as much as is possible before June.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Which is exactly my point...this is no time for experimentation.

This doesn't make a lick of sense. Scotland shouldn't experiment now because we need to prepare for the play-off and have momentum, and then we can experiment after the play-off, but the Nations League also being important is "exactly your point" despite you claiming in the previous post that we could use them to experiment.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My list is just the changes from game to game. The two 3s in the sequence "3, 5, 3, 4" at the end covers those two games - the 5 was the number of changes between Faroes and Moldova, and the 4 was the changes between Denmark and Poland.

Oh, I get you - I didn't think changes across different camps is particularly insightful to look at given that months passed between Denmark and Poland and in the other cases weeks passed.

Edited by 2426255

Just now, craigkillie said:

This doesn't make a lick of sense. Scotland shouldn't experiment now because we need to prepare for the play-off and have momentum, and then we can experiment after the play-off, but the Nations League also being important is "exactly your point" despite you claiming in the previous post that we could use them to experiment.

If by experiment, we mean changing Christie>Brown, Taylor>Hickey, and defender>Halket, then absolutely fine.  Sweeping changes, or starting 5 players with less caps than fingers does not benefit the bigger picture. 

57 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

McGregor is top class. Miles and miles ahead of McLean.

He's a great player and obviously first pick by miles, but I don't think he's irreplaceable the way some of the others are given the depth we do have in the middle.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's a great player and obviously first pick by miles, but I don't think he's irreplaceable the way some of the others are given the depth we do have in the middle.

Gilmour and McGregor as a middle two are most definitely miles ahead of any other pairing.

We've tried other pairings twice since the Euros, and those have resulted in our two worst performances (Moldova at home; Faroes away).  Every time we sub one, we lose the midfield.

It's not to say we shouldn't try/rest/whatever, but the drop off is significant.

I think there is a little bit of "lightning in a jar" with him and Gilmour tho. The Faroes away game stands out for how disjointed our midfield looked with Gilmour and McTominay in there. I do think however that it's something we should address by trying to find an adequate second best pairing in a game like tonight's, as opposed to just hoping BG and McGregor are available for our big games.

Edit: what Hutton said

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

IMO he's our best player that isn't Robertson or Tierney.

Kenny McLean is pish. Gilmour and McGregor are the obvious starting CMs and I’d be bringing in Ryan Jack and Jack Hendry (with McTominay moving into midfield) before McLean gets on the park. 

Edited by Donathan

I think he, McGinn and Tierney are our only irreplaceable players. Maybe Adams too.
I think there is a little bit of "lightning in a jar" with him and Gilmour tho. The Faroes away game stands out for how disjointed our midfield looked with Gilmour and McTominay in there. I do think however that it's something we should address by trying to find an adequate second best pairing in a game like tonight's, as opposed to just hoping BG and McGregor are available for our big games.

Edit: what Hutton said
Yeah, I've wanted to see Jack and Gilmour as Jack is the last hope for us not to look poor without McGregor (not sure if that makes sense).

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

If , as I fear, we don't get over the Ukraine/Wales hurdle then we can experiment and 'get a look at people' all we want. Tonight must be about momentum, and getting our first choice team playing together as much as is possible before June.

What if , for whatever reasons , our first choices are not available in June ?

Their , hopefully not required , replacements will need experience