The Ferrys Fiasco

Back again got called out there The Cal mac shambles it is You would have thought it would be full steam ahead to get them finished  It seems the management are trying get to volunteers to leave the yard and go and work in another yard in the south of England on a short  term  contract  The engines have been sitting for 5 years and have never been started They are probably going to be taken out of the ships and replaced with new engines A very time consuming exercise cutting the ships open to get them out and a very expensive  Not sure what a engine retails at They have a new head guy  lined up but does not start until the autumn He is 68 year old and has had a lifetimes work in shipbuilding  Not sure what these engines use for fuel Some kind of gas no doubt as what ever it is Ardrossan did not have the storage facilities for it so 100s of Millions of £s had to be spent  in building storage for the fuel which arrives in the south of England and has to be brought up by lorry So much for going green Have got called out again to work  TBC!
...:;?!

Help yourself.

Thought there was a thread on here about it but can not find it Have threatened to post on here for the past couple of weeks about it after getting told from a very good source what was happening in that yard Was having trouble believing what i was getting told One of the first things was that the Scottish Gov hired a clueless c*** on  £800 000 a year Got it confirmed on the news today that it was true TBC 

I don't mind him tbh. His interviews are generally ok but him asking the players about the Old Firm all the time does get a bit tiresome.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I quite like the "Here's the shit we're in, this is what it's going to cost in time and money to solve it." attitude of the new boss at Ferguson.

https://www.fergusonmarine.com/media/1323/fmpg-update-letter-to-nzet-230322-final.pdf

Jim McColl quoted as saying it would be cheaper to make the second hull watertight and attempt to sell it, then start it all again. Wouldn’t surprise me if these ships never see service tbh. 

1 minute ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Jim McColl quoted as saying it would be cheaper to make the second hull watertight and attempt to sell it, then start it all again. Wouldn’t surprise me if these ships never see service tbh. 

That turnaround guy that got £2m must have been well worth his money if that happens.

26 minutes ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim McColl wangled a profit somehow from buying Ferguson for £600,000 and having its debts written off when the Government took it over. No doubt helps with the upkeep of his Monaco home and tax shelter. I'd probably have more time for his pronouncements if he accepted some responsibility for what went wrong. The thing that confuses me is why have the dual fuel of either liquified natural gas or diesel? Seems unnecessarily complicated, if you want it more eco friendly, just go for gas? 

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

In summary Jim McColl ripped off the country and is now saying he only done it because the scottish govt didn't put in a clause that he stopped him from ripping us off.

TBF he did grow great tatties and onions.

The 'good source' nonsense has now spread to the government and/or a shipyard. What other odd places do folk have a 'good source' in?

The Post Office? Do folk get tipped off about a new style of stamp coming out?

The Refuse Department of the local council? Are there sources there feeding inside information about bins being secretly replaced with ones that have 5% less capacity in some stealth savings effort?

How about the local zoo? Do people get told secrets that the giraffes are actually two horses in a costume?

Anyway, shocked to hear of a government bungling some contract. 

13 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

In summary Jim McColl ripped off the country and is now saying he only done it because the scottish govt didn't put in a clause that he stopped him from ripping us off.

That’s some take.  How about calling out the governments part in this or do you think they’ve acted above board here?

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The govt should have put a clause in the contract that Jim McColl cannot rip them off. That was a poor decision when dealing with a crook.

The government should have followed their own procurement procedures.  They also should have listened to their own agency that said awarding this contract was wrong.  That’s before they blew more cash on the turnaround manager.

These procedures are in place for a reason.  It’s not the governments money.  It belongs to the taxpayer.  The government are 100% accountable for ensuring it’s spent wisely.  I have no idea who McColl is or if he is a con man.  At the end of the day that’s irrelevant.  The government have royally fucked this up at enormous cost to the taxpayer and there’s no getting round that.

I don’t even need to touch on the alleged motives.  Regardless of any alleged motive they have cost the taxpayer a lot of money.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I have no idea who McColl is

wut. you should probably look into him if you want to discuss this topic

he is a confirmed liar

Mr McColl denied signing the original contract. However, the BBC has seen an unredacted copy of this document and it seems that he did. His signature appears alongside that of the then chief executive of ferry company CMAL, Tom Docherty.