The Ferrys Fiasco

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Have you used it recently?

I'm on it right now. What's your point?

A railway company doesn't have to compete in a globalised market with other services. For the most part, ScotRail's remit is to get from A to B without fucking up - that's it. 

They may not be doing a brilliant job of that, but it's really not an exercise in ruthless capitalism. 

Make fares reasonable (which links directly to government transport policy), upgrade decrepit diesel lines, reverse the daft and ignored bevvy ban, provide overall reliability and it takes care of itself. 

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

In the f**k up of not putting safeguards in the contract would that actually have gotten money back  since the company went into administration and then became publicly owned. Who would be paying money back to the govt in that scenario?

They could have insisted on some type of insurance bond.

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

A railway company doesn't have to compete in a globalised market with other services. For the most part, ScotRail's remit is to get from A to B without fucking up - that's it. 

They may not be doing a brilliant job of that, but it's really not an exercise in ruthless capitalism. 

Make fares reasonable (which links directly to government transport policy), upgrade decrepit diesel lines, reverse the daft and ignored bevvy ban, provide overall reliability and it takes care of itself. 

Fares aren't reasonable and the service is consistently terrible. If you have ever travelled on trains in Europe you'll know how inferior Scotrail is. Still, here comes the government, I'm sure they'll fix it. 

32 minutes ago, Lex said:

Fares aren't reasonable and the service is consistently terrible. If you have ever travelled on trains in Europe you'll know how inferior Scotrail is.

I've travelled on plenty of trains in Europe champ. If you think that ScotRail is bad, then try a several hour delay at some village in the middle of nowhere to get from Poland to Czechia. 

Yet ultimately this doesn't really matter, because public transport is a largely captive market. It should of course be improved, but rail services aren't going to be driven out of operation tomorrow by a more efficient competitor. ScotRail has a monopoly over about 80% of passenger journeys in the country. 

Still, here comes the government, I'm sure they'll fix it. 

You've yet to provide any evidence that ScotRail is a 'failed business', so there is nothing to fix by your own terms of debate. 

As a public service it can absolutely be improved, and I have a fair few doubts about whether that will be achieved. I'd still rather have that option as well as direct accountability, than have Arriva, Abellio, Stagecoach or any of the other clowns indefinitely skimming their franchise profit from the top though. 

Edited by vikingTON

In Summary:
Jim McColl is yet again a chancing C**t, and yet again Rangers fans would rather not blame him.

I seem to recall a rather similar scenario when he utterly screwed a whole bunch of loyal staunch employees of the old Weir Pumps in Cathcart. Funny that.

Wait!

There’s a bevvy ban?

20 hours ago, Lex said:

Fares aren't reasonable and the service is consistently terrible. If you have ever travelled on trains in Europe you'll know how inferior Scotrail is. Still, here comes the government, I'm sure they'll fix it. 

I found the regional trains in Italy to be appalling and let's for forgot France managed to order a load of trains that were too big for their network.

On 01/04/2022 at 09:14, coprolite said:

The government clearly didn't do a good job and their motivation for that is in some doubt. 

But you are suggesting that a businessesman with a reputation for sharp practice who has charged three times what he agreed and still not delivered anything bears no responsibility? 

I'd love to see Left Back's version of Watchdog. "This builder just got given the life savings of an old lady for a drive he'll never install. Tonight Watchdog investigates why she's such a stupid cow." 

That's not really a great analogy for the SG.

On 02/04/2022 at 10:03, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Wait!

There’s a bevvy ban?

Thank f*** I found this out now.  Was going to get the train to Inverness with a friend next week, but looks like we'll be driving now in light of this.  

Shows you just how long it's been since I got on a train since the whole face-mask thing came into force.

• 3 weeks later...