SJFC 🔵 ⚪ v 🔵 🔴 ICTFC. Playoff Final.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It should be 2nd v 3rd then winner v 11th.

Match the 2 legs with game 37/38.

Both finalists play 38 games before the Final and have the same break beforehand.

The idea a team finishing 4th in 10 team division can get promoted is ridiculous to me.

Completely agree (and not just because of our fate this season!). 4th in a 10 team league getting promoted is like finishing 8th in a 20 team league and going up, it is farcical. The current Premiership ones do at least disadvantage the teams finishing 3rd and 4th and therefore reward the 2nd place team, unlike the Championship and League 1 play-offs, so are a bit fairer. But I wouldn't ever have 4th place involved at all.

League play-offs involving teams from the same league are unfair by their nature, and that unfairness needs to be weighted against the excitement and financial benefit of the play-offs, so I get there has to be some trade off. I think a 2nd v 3rd, then winner plays 11th would be a fairer compromise.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It's 3 in the 15 seasons since playoffs started isn't it?

I'd also prefer single-match playoffs at a neutral venue. I have always hated two legged matches.

The current play-offs were only introduced in the 2013/14 season.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

A lot of that team will move on in the summer though I suspect. McAlear won't be back (surely it's time for the Ro$$ Bounty rumours to kick in now) and I'd be surprised if Deas is still here after the summer. There's a reasonable spine to the team but it still needs a lot of work to it and we've often struggled to get players to come up when we were in the Premiership let alone playing Championship football. Dodds has a big task ahead of him...

I'm convinced McAlear has had a move lined up officially for weeks - aside from the twenty minutes after he scored in the first leg against St Johnstone - he was absolutely garbage during these play-offs.  I could see Deas going to St Johnstone as the rumours persist again or someone of a similar kind of ilk as well as Carson. 

We probably could've won the league this year.  We had a good record against Arbroath and Kilmarnock but bottled it against some of the smaller teams.  I know we lost the likes of Allardice and Carson for periods along with the departure of Gardyne but the fact we didn't sign any full-backs even though it was glaringly obvious from before the season even started is a massive black mark against the management.  

Even if we lose Deas, there is a spine of a really good team there.  The consensus seems to be that Welsh and Devine are going to stay so that leaves them plus Ridgers, Allardice, Samuels and MacGregor if he stays.  Hopefully Walsh regains his form.  I do fear though that next season is make or break.  Dundee will either win the league at a canter or will be absolutely hopeless.  We need to get up next season by hook or by crook or we could be the new Falkirk and sink well and truly into the wilderness.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It should be 2nd v 3rd then winner v 11th.

Match the 2 legs with game 37/38.

Both finalists play 38 games before the Final and have the same break beforehand.

The idea a team finishing 4th in 10 team division can get promoted is ridiculous to me.

You’re not really wrong, but why does this only cause such anger when it comes to the Premiership play-offs?

It’s been the case in the lower leagues for about 15 years that 4th gets a crack at the play-off and no one really gets that worked up by it. But all of sudden when it comes to the Prem play-off it’s a huge injustice.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You’re not really wrong, but why does this only cause such anger when it comes to the Premiership play-offs?

It’s been the case in the lower leagues for about 15 years that 4th gets a crack at the play-off and no one really gets that worked up by it. But all of sudden when it comes to the Prem play-off it’s a huge injustice.

Because we're only talking about the Premiership play off, I've mentioned before on other threads i think it's daft at every level to have mid-table sides getting a second bite at promotion.

It should be two up two down but if we must have play offs in small divisions it should be second top v second bottom. A one off game at a neutral venue. Play them over one weekend on say Friday, Saturday and Sunday and make a big thing of play off weekend.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because we're only talking about the Premiership play off, I've mentioned before on other threads i think it's daft at every level to have mid-table sides getting a second bite at promotion.

It certainly keeps the leagues interesting in the final weeks of the season. I think the English playoff system works better. Perhaps if we had a hybrid version where 11th plays 4th and meets in the final against the winners of 2nd vs 3rd.

It won’t get voted through by the top league though. Self preservation rules.

27 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It won’t get voted through by the top league though. Self preservation rules.

Love when this gets trotted out about top flight sides when the lower league sides are actually far more restrictive and self interested in what they'll allow in terms of the League Two relegation play off.

It should be two up two down but if we must have play offs in small divisions it should be second top v second bottom. A one off game at a neutral venue. Play them over one weekend on say Friday, Saturday and Sunday and make a big thing of play off weekend.

Not for me at all this. The two legged aspect is great - both clubs get the chance to have their moment in front of their fans, the great tension of how to approach a first leg, potential for the favourite/prem team to shit the bed in front of their fans.. and besides one off ties at neutral venues are for cup semis and finals, this is something different and it’s a unique experience in Scottish football.

The premiership play offs have been great since they came back and provided loads of iconic moments - Hibs Hibsing it, Rangers being pumped in both legs, Dundee United’s worst penalty shootout ever and loss to Martin Canning’s Hamilton and lots more, I don’t see why you’d be rushing to change them.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

No it shouldn't.  There's usually a massive gap between second bottom and second as last night showed.  

43 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

No it shouldn't.  There's usually a massive gap between second bottom and second as last night showed.  

I must correct you there.  Last night showed there was a massive gap between second bottom and third.

1 hour ago, Zamora Fan said:

Not for me at all this. The two legged aspect is great - both clubs get the chance to have their moment in front of their fans, the great tension of how to approach a first leg, potential for the favourite/prem team to shit the bed in front of their fans.. and besides one off ties at neutral venues are for cup semis and finals, this is something different and it’s a unique experience in Scottish football.

The premiership play offs have been great since they came back and provided loads of iconic moments - Hibs Hibsing it, Rangers being pumped in both legs, Dundee United’s worst penalty shootout ever and loss to Martin Canning’s Hamilton and lots more, I don’t see why you’d be rushing to change them.

It favours the premiership club, the chances are that the championship club has played 4 bruising games while premiership club may be able to rest players.

As previously said, a one off game between 2nd and 11th would be fairer.

Edited by bennett

It favours the premiership club, the chances are that the championship club has played 4 bruising games while premiership club may be able to rest players.

As previously said, a one off game between 2nd and 11th would be fairer.

Zzz. Getting rid or drastically changing one of Scottish football’s most entertaining features for the sake of some misguided notion of fairness is a rotten idea.

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

So if there was a massive gap between bottom of the higher division and top of the next division there shouldn't be any promotion by that logic?

10 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

So if there was a massive gap between bottom of the higher division and top of the next division there shouldn't be any promotion by that logic?

The teams that swap are usually evenly matched.   Nobody could really predict how Killie v Dundee would go but we could with yesterdays tie.

8 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Anybody heard from @TheScarf

Hope he’s feeling ok.

Sorry m8, I wasn’t actually at the game I was in Paisley and took your mum out for her tea.