Jake Daniels

I think that, in Scotland, we've been moving in the right direction for a while. It wasn’t uncommon to hear players be called 'poofs' a while back for example, but thankfully this has died down a lot and is now rarer. Likewise the song about a team's fans being gay is heard much less often.

There's still work to do though and some way to go. A few seasons back some of our fans were singing about Scott McDonald 'taking it up the arse'. When called out there were hysterical defences of it and ridiculous claims it wasn't homophobic, and some came across as feeling insulted for being called out for singing a homophobic song. There's also a line in the 'Dunfermline Loyal' song I wish our fans would drop. 

Continuing education on the subject is key, and things like Pride events help in that regard. Hopefully we'll get to the stage where discrimination and/or insults at grounds by fans based on someone's sexuality is treated with the same shock and disgust as racism is. Discrimination like that is not acceptable.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hopefully we'll get to the stage where discrimination and/or insults at grounds by fans based on someone's sexuality is treated with the same shock and disgust as racism is. Discrimination like that is not acceptable.

I'd like to think that now we've got two openly gay refs, we're at a stage where any abuse about their sexuality will be called out in the same way. 

Time will tell...

I'd like to think that now we've got two openly gay refs, we're at a stage where any abuse about their sexuality will be called out in the same way. 
Time will tell...
Nah, if c***s do it then they'll just think anyone who calls them out are "woke" or "can't take a joke". It'll be considered patter to them as they try and come up with a funny way to sing or shout about it and get forced laughs from the people they've surrounded themselves with.

There's still work to do though and some way to go. A few seasons back some of our fans were singing about Scott McDonald 'taking it up the arse'. When called out there were hysterical defences of it and ridiculous claims it wasn't homophobic, and some came across as feeling insulted for being called out for singing a homophobic song.

Same indignation when fans were called out for singing about Val McDermid having a short back and sides. Connotations of that are clear to anyone with half a brain

3 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Same indignation when fans were called out for singing about Val McDermid having a short back and sides. Connotations of that are clear to anyone with half a brain

Aye, just shows that some fannies are determined to use homophobia against people they don't like, for whatever reason. Shows that there's still some way to go.

Nah, if c***s do it then they'll just think anyone who calls them out are "woke" or "can't take a joke". It'll be considered patter to them as they try and come up with a funny way to sing or shout about it and get forced laughs from the people they've surrounded themselves with.

You're never going to be able to stop individuals from being p***ks, but I don't think that sort of stuff would be considered acceptable as a whole and would be treated in the same way as racist abuse. Folk would definitely be called out for it and be facing bans.

You're never going to be able to stop individuals from being p***ks, but I don't think that sort of stuff would be considered acceptable as a whole and would be treated in the same way as racist abuse. Folk would definitely be called out for it and be facing bans.
Maybe but this season we've seen Rangers fans feeling comfortable singing racist abuse about a Celtic player, Scotland fans constantly singing about "m****s" and just today members of an orange lodge (one of whom works for a Northern Irish club) singing about a murdered woman. An individual shout probably would be called out, but if people feel comfortable that they won't be called out in a specific environment - as those examples clearly were - then they're gonna be c***s.

21 hours ago, CoF said:

Time will tell...

Never mind that, is he a Catholic poof or a Protestant poof?

Will be the most pressing question in some quarters.

• 3 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62935726

Much of my admiration for these folk is due to them, if I'm understanding it correctly, being prepared to put their own head above the parapet for the betterment of society overall. First active male senior footballer in Scotland to "come out" as gay since Justin Fashanu.

Edited by FreedomFarter

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd give the thread a wee bump with this video. Just great to hear two gay sportsmen talking so openly. Especially as homophobia has crept back into the football news recently