The garden wildlife thread

On 21/05/2024 at 18:32, PWL said:

In the last few weeks I've noticed something has scraped under the back fence to get access into the garden near the bird feeders. Our house backs onto a path so it's not coming from another garden.  Can't be a cat and I'd imagine a fox would be able to leap the fence so I've bought one of the IR cameras mentioned earlier in this thread as I'm curious.  

And before @RH33 comments, I've already got webcams set up to record my tidy neighbour so this will be purely for wildlife...

Culprit found. It was a hedgehog! 

1 hour ago, PWL said:

Culprit found. It was a hedgehog! 

I have holes under all the garden fences to allow them to move from garden to garden. The neighbours know about the holes as well.

IMG-20230824-WA0001.thumb.jpg.78a8a792aa95146d4f3002ef902d0736.jpgIMG-20230806-WA0003.jpg.49732543b51dcfcccb62d6f26ba0953e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

When we built our wee wildlife pond we pretty much scattered a pack of mixed native pond margin seeds around it and waited to see what grew. 

It looks like a total jungle but I am loving it, always a ton of wee bugs and beasties to see.

20240531_152318.thumb.jpg.1cef3baa1aa27761be9fd61d208c31cc.jpg

Native flag iris

20240510_073209.thumb.jpg.0b8f8f582f391f829805817b4d68b393.jpg

water avens, loved by bees. Has gone nuts in the garden and is fucking everywhere.

Discovered a blackbird’s nest in the winter woodshed this week.  I’ll not be able to transfer any logs into the shed until after September I assume?  

First time this has happened.  I think it may be because I left the shed less full in early spring than usual.  Going to leave it less full next spring as well in the hope to the blackbird comes back to nest there.  Seems like a good dry and safe spot for the nest

IMG_8203.jpeg

IMG_8202.jpeg

IMG_8204.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Discovered a blackbird’s nest in the winter woodshed this week.  I’ll not be able to transfer any logs into the shed until after September I assume?  

First time this has happened.  I think it may be because I left the shed less full in early spring than usual.  Going to leave it less full next spring as well in the hope to the blackbird comes back to nest there.  Seems like a good dry and safe spot for the nest

IMG_8203.jpeg

IMG_8202.jpeg

IMG_8204.jpeg

I would think that'll be the last clutch.  They'll be hatched and away from the nest by the end of the month.

18 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

I would think that'll be the last clutch.  They'll be hatched and away from the nest by the end of the month.

Agree. Assuming they are just laid it should be about two weeks to hatch and then another two weeks for the young to fledge

• 2 months later...