Dog Kills Man

All the major organisations ostensibly involved in animal welfare oppose legislation on dog ownership. The RSPCA, Dogs Trust and other charities repeatedly make statements against breed specific legislation and would doubtless use their huge resource to oppose it should a government use the existing legislation to ban more dangerous dogs.

There’s also the fact that really significant numbers of people in Britain seem to ideologically oppose anything that “blames” a dog for any of their behaviour. A good example is the viral video of the police shooting the two dogs in London a few months ago. From the footage that was published the police did exactly the right thing - they repeatedly warned the owner to comply, told him to keep his dogs under control or they’d be shot but he didn’t and they were. Literally millions of people signed a petition saying the police should be prosecuted for murder. Obviously signing an online petition is pretty low impact ‘activism’ but it’s an indication of how many people don’t think dogs can have bad qualities or that it’s all bad owners.

Its hard to square these attitudes with the fact that XL Bully’s are prolific killers of other pet dogs but hey ho, who cares about that.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This response to the video above (showing an out of control bully XL dog attacking multiple passers by in a built up area) is a good example of this attitude.

01AFAD44-F324-475F-B8DB-7598AD380C2F.thumb.jpeg.bbf593e24c2bfd2e1de563f1f64f6649.jpeg

I'd have said that's a good example of a fucking idiot, but I take your point. 

There is no helping people that keep excusing the violent behaviour of certain dog breeds. If I owned a Siberian Husky, for example, and walked it without it being on a lead and it then decided to just run away, I'd be told this was the dog's genetics and its nature from its history as a working dog. This would, of course, be my own fault the dog ran away, because I am a complete fucking idiot for ignoring the dog's nature. 

A dog bred to attack and maim attacks and kills a child? Well, there is no such thing as a bad dog; it must be the owner. Definitely not the dog's nature and how dare you suggest this dog is dangerous. 

The owner might well be (almost certainly is) a total piece of shit, but two things can be true at once. They know the Bully XL is dangerous - it's exactly why they buy them. And they have zero interest in applying the level of supervision required of them either. 

I don't know if they're definitely Bully XLs, but I've seen a few dogs like this around here the past few weeks. Big slabbering mutants that immediately start barking and pulling on their leads the minute somebody walks past them and their owner. I'm just waiting for something horrible to happen one of these times.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

There is no helping people that keep excusing the violent behaviour of cert dog breeds. If I owned a Siberian Husky, for example, and walked it without it being on a lead and it then decided to just run away, I'd be told this was the dog's genetics and its nature from its history as a working dog. This would, of course, be my own fault the dog ran away, because I am a complete fucking idiot for ignoring the dog's nature. 

A dog bred to attack and maim attacks and kills a child? Well, there is no such thing as a bad dog; it must be the owner. Definitely not the dog's nature and how dare you suggest this dog is dangerous. 

The owner might well be (almost certainly is) a total piece of shit, but two things can be true at once. They know the Bully XL is dangerous - it's exactly why they buy them. And they have zero interest in applying the level of supervision required of them either. 

Great post. I’m a massive dog person and as much as I believe 99.9% of all dogs are friendly with a good nature you would have to be daft to not accept that some dogs have got a reputation for things and you have to be able to work around that and help to train them in a certain way if you are going to own certain types of dogs.

I wouldn’t have an XL Bully, Doberman, Husky or various other bigger dogs with that background because I’ve got a child at home under the age of 8 and it would just be too much of a gamble for me to do that (by the way I’m not saying that anyone on this forum who has that set up is taking a risk everyone will know their own dog and their own minds).

The biggest issue for me in all of this is covered in your last paragraph. People buying these dogs as a show of force or potentially to use them as weapons. People who don’t know how to train certain breeds (or any breed) and the time and discipline that it takes. If the person with the dog (I’m sure we’ve all seen drug addicts out their face etc looking for puppies) is in a state of not really being able to look after themselves properly how can they nurture an animal into a position of trust.

I don’t think XL bullies should be banned or destroyed or whatever but I do think that somehow there should be stricter restrictions on who can own pets, especially pets which can harm children and other animals.

This might’ve been a unique experience for me but when I was looking to adopt a dog about 10 years ago I went to the Dogs Trust (that’s a hard fucking walk) and I was really impressed by how many questions they asked me about my set up. There was a wee beagle that I wanted to re-home and the lady was asking what my plans are for walking it etc. I said that through time I hoped to have the dog in a position to walk off a lead and she point blank refused to let me consider taking the dog because she didn’t want to risk me doing that and the dog bolting.

Edited by Sortmeout

52 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't know if they're definitely Bully XLs, but I've seen a few dogs like this around here the past few weeks. Big slabbering mutants that immediately start barking and pulling on their leads the minute somebody walks past them and their owner. I'm just waiting for something horrible to happen one of these times.

Ayrshire? I don’t know if it’s just the weather but I’ve noticed more in the last few weeks.

I have two wee dogs and I'm a pretty big dog person but just don't get the attraction of bull and terrier descendents - you're owning a dog whose lineage was specifically bred for blood sport.

Rather than outright banning breeds, which would likely see a load of healthy animals abandoned and/or put down, any animal over a certain weight should require a licence to own and certain breeds should have to be muzzled in public and kept on a lead.

The Home Secretary has said that she is taking advice on banning XL Bully’s.

I didn’t realise it but the attack in the video linked to above started with the dog attacking an 11 year old girl, with the men who tried to help her also attacked.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I didn’t realise it but the attack in the video linked to above started with the dog attacking an 11 year old girl, with the men who tried to help her also attacked.

But hang on now... We don't know the full story. 

I mean, what if she was actually 12......

54 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Woke nonsense. Time to lift the ban on owning leopards.

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I have two wee dogs and I'm a pretty big dog person but just don't get the attraction of bull and terrier descendents - you're owning a dog whose lineage was specifically bred for blood sport.

Rather than outright banning breeds, which would likely see a load of healthy animals abandoned and/or put down, any animal over a certain weight should require a licence to own and certain breeds should have to be muzzled in public and kept on a lead.

The more I hear about the arguments, the more it resembles the gun crowd in the U.S.:

-Guns/Dogs don’t kill people, gun/dog owners do…

-If you outlaw (type of) guns/dogs, only outlaws will have them…

-If you require gun/dog licences, then the government will control who can have them…

-If you require gun/dog insurance, then the insurance companies will control who can have them…

-Guns/Dogs are a persons right…

-If that kid hadn’t been asking to be shot/mauled, they wouldn’t have been…

-Who knows what that kid did to that gun/dog…

Etc…

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/10/suella-braverman-pushes-for-ban-on-american-bully-xls-after-attack

“Suella Braverman is pushing for a ban on American bully XL dogs, arguing they are a “clear and lethal danger”, particularly to children.

The home secretary announced she has commissioned urgent advice on outlawing the dogs after she highlighted an “appalling” attack on an 11-year-old girl in Birmingham.

However, adding dogs to the banned list is the responsibility of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) under the environment secretary, Thérèse Coffey. The PA news agency understands there are concerns within Defra over the feasibility of adding the American bully.

The dog is not a recognised as a specific breed by the Kennel Club. It could be hard to define and a ban could inadvertently outlaw a range of other dogs, some fear.

Braverman seized on news that West Midlands police were investigating after the girl and two men who intervened were injured in the incident in the Bordesley Green area on Saturday.”