Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

9 hours ago, Number seven said:

The progress of players in the set up before has not been working and youngsters are giving the game up too soon as they cannot cope with the physical side of the game having only played in their own age groups.

Please open up your mind to new ideas.

Scotland are as good as they've been in 20 years and have players at big clubs in England with lots of promising youth prospects on the way. The system has been working, people just aren't patent enough to realise it takes ten years to start seeing the benefits. The most recent 17s squad had 12 players from the performance schools, the first team had three in the squad, Gilmour, Patterson and Ramsey - three of the youngest in the group. We're begining to reap the benefits of the system set in place 10 years ago and should see it through, rather than trying to pivot a B-Team system that has very little evidence of being better than using loans.

5 hours ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Scotland are as good as they've been in 20 years and have players at big clubs in England with lots of promising youth prospects on the way. The system has been working, people just aren't patent enough to realise it takes ten years to start seeing the benefits. The most recent 17s squad had 12 players from the performance schools, the first team had three in the squad, Gilmour, Patterson and Ramsey - three of the youngest in the group. We're begining to reap the benefits of the system set in place 10 years ago and should see it through, rather than trying to pivot a B-Team system that has very little evidence of being better than using loans.

Fair points but you are missing the point I am trying to make.

Only a small percentage of players at this age group go on to make a career in the game because once they are told at 18 or 19 that they are not good enough to play top level football,they try lower league teams ,only to find that they cannot cope physically.Some even give the game up all together and are a loss to the game in this country.

The cream will rise to the top,but many are missed because they have no where to go.

Getting exposed to competitive football in the Lowland league can be of great benefit to these boys much better than the loan system you mention where managers are desperate for results and only use the players to beef up their squads.

The anti b team discussion is quite sad I think . It works well in other countries but here in Scotland we’re still in the dark ages.

New ideas are frowned upon and grumpily dismissed too quickly.

7 hours ago, Number seven said:

Fair points but you are missing the point I am trying to make.

Only a small percentage of players at this age group go on to make a career in the game because once they are told at 18 or 19 that they are not good enough to play top level football,they try lower league teams ,only to find that they cannot cope physically.Some even give the game up all together and are a loss to the game in this country.

The cream will rise to the top,but many are missed because they have no where to go.

Getting exposed to competitive football in the Lowland league can be of great benefit to these boys much better than the loan system you mention where managers are desperate for results and only use the players to beef up their squads.

The anti b team discussion is quite sad I think . It works well in other countries but here in Scotland we’re still in the dark ages.

New ideas are frowned upon and grumpily dismissed too quickly.

On your first point, the lowland league is less physical than the top divisions - you see that every time a full time team comes to play. Yes the challenges might be a bit heavier, but the physical attributes of the players and the game is lower. That was clear on Wednesday when you saw the build and fitness of the full time Celtic players.

If players are lost to the game it's not because aren't physical enough, that's not the lowland leagues problem, look at Lennon Walker playing for the BU on Wednesday. If you're good enough you'll play.

If playing in competitive environments is important is it not better on loan where games actually matter? Ultimately Rangers B might run away with the league by double digit points but it means nothing. Same if they were in a relegation battle - they're not fighting for the future of the club.

We're not in the dark ages, we have performance schools across the country producing technically fantastic athletes - people like yourself are dismissing this system too quickly. There are one or two B teams that have a decent track record of decent development, there's a lot more that fail and are use to park players.

Anyway can't wait for tomorrows match when Rangers B come to Newtown with players bought for hundreds of thousands of pounds, most likely dominate and we're all think it's great because one day they might play for Scotland. Though they probably won't because any players they actually rate are already in the first team by that age (Lowry, King) or on loan (Kennedy / Mayo / McPake).  

9 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

Just as well yous only rent.

I don't have knowledge of the rental costs and wages but I would state with conviction that the current attendance levels are not meeting those outlays.  

The team needs to play well, score goals and win games consistently to get the fans back.    There's not been much evidence that this will happen anytime soon.

33 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I don't have knowledge of the rental costs and wages but I would state with conviction that the current attendance levels are not meeting those outlays....

Guess that's where fundraisers like the Treasure Chest also come into the picture.

0-4

Thought that the BU's played with more energy and intensity v Celtic B and maybe that is why the team looked a yard short of pace at points of the game today.     

Not enough threat up front for the BU's which allowed the Rangers defence to push up the park.

Musa gifts the first goal as he should have stopped the shot. Redemption by saving a penalty only to be beaten by a really scrappy goal for 2-0.

Third goal was a nice neat move and finish.

Fourth goal was a pass to beat the offside trap.  Eventually Rangers got the pass right after nearly 20 failed efforts.

This is why the B team thing doesn’t work. Am I right in saying you’ve played Rangers twice and Celtic once in the World Cup break. Clearly a stronger team just now than they’d be in a League Cup week for example?

Looks like they are both going to hose the league this year and it’s not a great look for the League.

I think the clubs hope to develop players by playing in a competitive league rather than meaningless matches against boys of their own age.

These games are still meaningless for the B teams, there's no consequences whatsoever.

6 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I don't have knowledge of the rental costs and wages but I would state with conviction that the current attendance levels are not meeting those outlays.  

The team needs to play well, score goals and win games consistently to get the fans back.    There's not been much evidence that this will happen anytime soon.

The most disappointing aspect is the few (albeit very few) who have opted to go watch the other team when their and our fixtures don’t even clash. 

Edited by 8MileBU