There was a coo

It seems all the team's really lacking is a couple of older, wiser heads whose legs might not be able to last a full 90 minutes these days but no the score, have been about a bit - so to speak - and can be thrown into the mix with half an hour to go to help calm things down and get a grip on the game. With a bit more experience and nouse, so many draws could easily be turned into wins.

Edited by Drifter

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

We've been saying that for a while now. Any set pieces are dangerous for us.

Going through the highlights on YouTube of KRtv and they seem to score a lot of headers from corners and free kicks, also they don't look afraid to take a punt from 20+yards out.

Lads will need to switch on cos they will be trying to whip ball into the box as much as possible.

7 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Mind the gap for the equalizer.  Basic defense to cover both posts at set pieces. Coaching needed now to ensure Cowden stay tight at the back. Such howlers should never happen  again.

There seems to be a modern school of thought where you don’t always have men on both posts. 

I’d have thought you might do that if you are a big physical team and confident of winning most 50/50’s, but we’re not really so I would make sure men on both sticks.

Lanark are mid-table in the 3rd division in the WoSFL. The fourth tier in the west. A league below Kilsyth.

St Andrews away to Kennoway. Still hoping for an away day to St Andrews 🙂. Next round please. Assuming we do get through.

2 hours ago, Drifter said:

It seems all the team's really lacking is a couple of older, wiser heads whose legs might not be able to last a full 90 minutes these days but no the score, have been about a bit - so to speak - and can be thrown into the mix with half an hour to go to help calm things down and get a grip on the game. With a bit more experience and nouse, so many draws could easily be turned into wins.

Had a good chat with the gaffer downstairs after the brunch where he took the time to engage with fans after the event which says a lot about his personality and understands the importance of doing so at a community club.

The gaffer is keen as any manager of strengthening the squad with some more quality but at our level it is a challenge to attract.

Hopefully lessons are learned and we improve at defending set pieces and defending in general.

If we had the balance of last year's excellent defensive record for most part of the season with this season's brand of entertaining attacking play we would probably find ourselves in the top end.

Keen we continue to back the gaffer as I'm sure we will hopefully continue to grow and develop as a team.

Edited by Cowden316

17 minutes ago, Cowden316 said:

Had a good chat with the gaffer downstairs after the brunch where he took the time to engage with fans after the event which says a lot about his personality and understands the importance of doing so at a community club.

The gaffer is keen as any manager of strengthening the squad with some more quality but at our level it is a challenge to attract.

Hopefully lessons are learned and we improve at defending set pieces and defending in general.

If we had the balance of last year's excellent defensive record for most part of the season with this season's brand of entertaining attacking play we would probably find ourselves in the top end.

Keen we continue to back the gaffer as I'm sure we will hopefully continue to grow and develop as a team.

We conceded few goals last season because we were set up for that rather than trying to score them. More or less when a team scored we were fucked.

Much prefer Calum's style.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

We conceded few goals last season because we were set up for that rather than trying to score them. More or less when a team scored we were fucked.

Much prefer Calum's style.

Asking to change from a defensive side to an attacking side in one season with an almost complete clear out is a big ask.

Yes it’s frustrating to see us throw away leads but I’m looking forward to 2nd half of season to hopefully see us build a team towards next season.

I don’t think any fans are expecting us to win the league this season so it’s all about building on what we have and a top 6 would be great progress imo.

4 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Asking to change from a defensive side to an attacking side in one season with an almost complete clear out is a big ask.

Yes it’s frustrating to see us throw away leads but I’m looking forward to 2nd half of season to hopefully see us build a team towards next season.

I don’t think any fans are expecting us to win the league this season so it’s all about building on what we have and a top 6 would be great progress imo.

If we finished 6th it would be massive progress. You can't go from 16th to 1st in a season without huge investment. This would then allow us to push on the following season and also hope there is not an EK money team in the league.

With our best eleven fit, we are a match for anyone in the league on the day, but unfortunately we have had too many injuries.

We just need to be more productive upfront. The final ball is often poor and we don't give Ewan any service.

We can't afford to waste chances on Saturday. Kilwinning are a decent side. They would hold their own in the Lowland League.

Is Dougie injured?

3 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

There seems to be a modern school of thought where you don’t always have men on both posts. 

I’d have thought you might do that if you are a big physical team and confident of winning most 50/50’s, but we’re not really so I would make sure men on both sticks.

That then gives opposition more chance of winning the header in the first place 

Looking at the goal I don’t think it’s a debate over having men on the posts or not,  the biggest issue for me is 7 and 5(sorry don’t know the players) have tried to do the same job marking one man who moves towards the front post, that leaves the gap at the back post.  I would put that down more to general preparation over any particular defensive set piece plan(something that is surely hard to achieve at this level)