The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, GM1867 said:

I just wish the club would be upfront with what the larger plans are for the ground -eg.  what's happening at the West Stand/Haughey Hill - surely we're no wasting the best vantage point for the ground with 40 seats! The north end, I accept, is a longer term project but what's the vision? All in all it's disappointing. The original redesign actually looked better than what we currently have.

1_JS163017102jpgarg.jpeg

Updated plans lauded as “bigger and better” by our Chief Executive, despite being demonstrably smaller and shitter.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

In case it was missed on my post-AGM summary, the question was raised about hospitality in the Pavillion and how those punters would transfer to their seats, and back and forth at half-time, and the President confirmed they’ll have to leave the ground, walk down the street and re-enter at the East stand entrance. 

😲🙄😆

Sometimes derision is the only possible reaction. I wonder if there will be a grand opening ceremony to hansel the new stadium? Will the new stand be given a name?

I walked past Lesser yesterday and there was plenty of activity on site. The 4th floodlight pylon was in position and I began to wonder if they'll actually open during February. The place is still a building site though, so I'm not banking on it.

2 hours ago, GM1867 said:

I just wish the club would be upfront with what the larger plans are for the ground -eg.  what's happening at the West Stand/Haughey Hill - surely we're no wasting the best vantage point for the ground with 40 seats! The north end, I accept, is a longer term project but what's the vision? All in all it's disappointing. The original redesign actually looked better than what we currently have.

1_JS163017102jpgarg.jpeg

Haughey Hill 😂😂😂

16 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

There seems to be a lot of space on the north side, couldn't they build a big stand there? woking-fc-kingfield-stadium-leslie-gosden-stand-1421169397.jpg.webp.62646cbc89141f7991d891e93cfcdcbb.webp

That's one of the stands at Woking FC, of the English National League. Is something like that not feasible?

Used to work near there - a very disjointed looking ground. As I recall that stand has a fair old footprint and is very tall. Not sure what planners would make of such a large structure going up even if it was feasible. 

22 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Used to work near there - a very disjointed looking ground. As I recall that stand has a fair old footprint and is very tall. Not sure what planners would make of such a large structure going up even if it was feasible. 

Nothing a couple of big, fat brown envelopes couldn't remedy I'm sure. I think the real problem is whether there is space. The North Stand could save the project, by making the ground feasible for the top two leagues. I think it's your only hope, otherwise it will be a 2,000 capacity ground...

These terraces are from AFC Halifax Town and Exeter City FC:

big-bank-terrace-st-james-park-exeter-city-1557497384.jpg.webp.162cecc82e1c50995e01f6c93eb78ae9.webpthe-shay-fc-halifax-town-south-terrace-1420832677.jpg.webp.1e0076d5041eae223de6252aaf981a3a.webp

It would be interesting to know what their capacities are, but I would suggest 1,500-2,000. That would mean doubling the ground's capacity.

ETA: Exeter's terrace (above) holds just under 4,000! 

The Thatchers Big Bank has a reputation of being the loudest and most buoyant of the stands. It is a covered standing-only terrace with a maximum capacity of just under 4,000. The terrace is behind the goal, which offers an ideal view of goalmouth action at that end of the pitch.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/tickets/first-visit/#:~:text=It is a covered standing,that end of the pitch.

Edited by G_&_T

A difficult and disappointing night. Credit to Raith, they took their chance. Can’t say we looked like much of a threat and we very much looked a side that made 9 changes. 

I think tonight shows us Eze can’t be trusted as one of our starting pair his ball distribution really wasn’t great and the defensive lapse was one of at least three that could have led to goals. 

Strengthening up top is a must in this window also. Williamson didn’t do much wrong given he was chasing mostly lost causes, but I really feel we need another in as back-up for Murray. 

Positively, I was impressed with Healy, did well and looked very much like he had a spark in him. 

Eze has evidently not been up to scratch this season but I’m surprised we’ve went for someone that plays a style of football which is quite clearly a complete contrast to the football we’ve been trying and ultimately succeeding with all season. I get he’s no beckenbauer on the ball but his composure on the ball is completely on the other side of the scale in comparison to the rest of the squad 

A shame, I was so excited when he signed but he’s been incredibly disappointing minus a couple goals 

15 minutes ago, The Spiderman said:

A difficult and disappointing night. Credit to Raith, they took their chance. Can’t say we looked like much of a threat and we very much looked a side that made 9 changes. 

I think tonight shows us Eze can’t be trusted as one of our starting pair his ball distribution really wasn’t great and the defensive lapse was one of at least three that could have led to goals. 

Strengthening up top is a must in this window also. Williamson didn’t do much wrong given he was chasing mostly lost causes, but I really feel we need another in as back-up for Murray. 

Positively, I was impressed with Healy, did well and looked very much like he had a spark in him. 

Agree on Eze, Williamson and Healy comments. Eze is unfortunately just not good enough for us and our aspirations. He struggles to play the basics of his game with confidence. My feeling is, he just isn’t competent technically to play in our team. 

Felt Bruce has a decent enough game, feel he can offer more going forward and hopefully we’ll see that more soon.

38 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Agree on Eze, Williamson and Healy comments. Eze is unfortunately just not good enough for us and our aspirations. He struggles to play the basics of his game with confidence. My feeling is, he just isn’t competent technically to play in our team. 

Felt Bruce has a decent enough game, feel he can offer more going forward and hopefully we’ll see that more soon.

Agreed on Bruce, we need cover should the worst happen to Robson but it’d be great to see him get some regular football. He could be a very good player for us.

2 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Today’s Herald: Are Queen's Park falling into the same traps as Gretna?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23244946.queens-park-falling-traps-gretna/?ref=ebls

Summary - Cairney says we're just like Gretna, then says no we're not, then convinces himself we are.

Yawn

2 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23244946.queens-park-falling-traps-gretna/?ref=ebls

With the blinker’s off, it’s on the pulse. He could have course have compared us to another Glasgow club or even other central belt teams who have shot up the leagues, which would have made it more relevant. But that’s not how journos work. Don’t let facts get in the way of a story. Still, it’s free advertising. Some readers might even be intrigued enough to take in a game at our lovely new sta…..on no, wait!

On 10/01/2023 at 22:05, G_&_T said:

There seems to be a lot of space on the north side, couldn't they build a big stand there? woking-fc-kingfield-stadium-leslie-gosden-stand-1421169397.jpg.webp.62646cbc89141f7991d891e93cfcdcbb.webp

That's one of the stands at Woking FC, of the English National League. Is something like that not feasible?

It’s much more probable that we’ll have a stand on the scale/design of the east/south and the remaining land sold for flats. Scotland’s littered with grounds with big empty stands thanks to the Taylor report and over-zealous and exploitative football authorities. It might even be a terrace. Any shortage in crowd capacity will always be down to wiping out the west side of the ground. 

Whack a 500-600 terrace behind each goal - one home, one away, - and you’ve got a decent stadium that’s the right size for all but the Premier. And if you need to improve capacity you rebuild the west side in future. 

Not ideal that they’ve made a total mess of it, but you hardly want to create another stadium that’s less than half full most weekends. 

9 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Potentially yes, just look at who is pulling your financial strings lord wullie. He has previous with Livi in what was a rise from the ashes murkey scenario.

3 hours ago, chattyman said:

Potentially yes, just look at who is pulling your financial strings lord wullie. He has previous with Livi in what was a rise from the ashes murkey scenario.

Don't know anything about Oor Wullie's involvement with Livingston but last time I checked they were still on the go & in the top half of the Premiership... unlike Gretna.